Tufty club

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I was looking through some forums as I regularly do, and one brought this back to me.

tufty.jpg

They ought to change their site motto to STOP, LOOK, LISTEN.

Does anyone remember the Tufty club, or were you a member?
Tufty

Prior to the introduction of the Green Cross campaign, a series of puppet animation public information films featuring Tufty Fluffytail and narrated by Bernard Cribbins were in regular broadcast rotation across the UK. Tufty Fluffytail, a childlike Red Squirrel character, was created in 1953 by Elsie Mills MBE to introduce clear and simple safety messages to children. The success of the character led to the creation in 1961 of the Tufty Club for children under five years of age. Under its auspices more than 30,000 Tufty books about road safety were issued to parents. At its peak there were nearly 25,000 branches of the Tufty Club throughout the UK, and by the early 1970s an estimated two million children were members. The movement continued well into the 1980s and is well remembered today.

Comments

• dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited November 2011
    I remember it on TV but I was never a member. I got a library card when I was 4 however. I think I still have one of the books.