I fucking hate ageism

Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
edited December 2011 in Spurious Generalities
So today I was hanging out with my girlfriend and she lives by my old high school. We decided to walk downtown and I noticed that the parking lot was full so we decided to go see what was going on. We walk in and it was a basketball game (girls basketball. Hardly a sport.) so we walked around the school a bit. We passed an older lady who was setting something up in a few class rooms. I thought nothing of it.
I decided we should go see if one of my old teachers rooms was open and it was. Me an this teacher had a fairly close personal relationship because I would talk to her all the time during open hours. I find that her room is open and the light is on. So we go over to her desk and I write her a note telling her I was there (no it isnt as creepy as you think it is. or is it? ;) ) and the old lady I passed walked in.
I give a kind hello and we proceed towards the door. What she said as we were leaving pissed me the fuck off. She said "That is a look of guilt on your face." I was pretty taken aback by this comment as I did nothing wrong and we were both leaving with normal happy looks. I could honestly say nothing other than "No it isnt."
Who the hell is she to tell me that I am guilty of a ficticious wrongdoing? I could really not stop thinking about it the whole night.

This is what we did after leaving my old high school:
- We walked down to a building that has a bunch of shops in it. After leaving a Barnes and Noble in this area I saw an old guy just sitting on a motorized scooter in the enterance to the store. I thought that I should make sure he is okay so I asked if he is waiting for anyone. This sparks up 15 minuet conversation with the guy that I quite enjoyed. I didnt make excuses to leave and we genuinely talked. I was curtious to respectful to him.
- We went to the library and left notes to people saying things like "You are awesome! Stay fly!" and the like.
- I hold the door open for multiple people, a few of them have hands too full to open the door in a way that is convenient to them, as others walk by and watch them struggle.

I know that this sounds like me talking about how fucking awesome I am but I dont mean for it to seem that way. I am just trying to show that I am a fairly upstanding citizen who does the right thing when it counts. As an 18 year old who has experienced this treatment since I was around 13 it pisses me off more than anything.

have any of you experienced ageism? It is one of my biggest pet peeves knowing that I am not doing anything wrong but still get looked at as though I am committing atrocious acts.

Sorry if this is rambling and doesnt make much sense.

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited November 2011
    yeh I know what you mean, Im 18 too and old people fuck me off. One old guy reported me to the cops. he said I was racing around in my car, told them I was almost on two wheels. WTF?! I wasnt driving like an old women or anything and my car was quite loud, but I feel like if I wasnt a young guy that old dude ould not have rang the cops.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Ageism works both ways which not many people realise. As for the OP, I think what you did is just being helpful and what more people should do in this world. It's a shame when people see Teenagers and instantly think they're going to stab someone etc. I've had times where I've helped the Elderly and they have received it well,a nd then others where I was told to sod off. It's hit and miss, but still, rather an offer than none.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    People think because I'm a eighteen that I'm going to rob an old ladies purse, or knock over an old man in the street. I smile to people as they walk by, and say thank you if they move out the way. About 40% of the time, they'll smile back and say "It's okay!" or thank me if I moved for them. But the other 60% they'll just keep their heads down and walk on and hope I don't rob them.

It annoys the hell out of me.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    You kids are all up to no good, hrrmph.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Get off my lawn !!!
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2011
    I got a bit of shit from folks from the time I was about 14 to about 19, hell I still get suspicious looks from time to time at 22. The worst for me were airports and malls, I can't recall not getting hassled by cops or security at malls from about 15 to 18 particularly. It is pretty rare these days though, a clean shave, nice jeans, a button up shirt and a smile go a long way towards disarming people. Sad thing is that in my area I don't blame people one bit for casting a wary eye on teeny boppers, most around here are either loud obnoxious rednecks, borderline retarded wiggers, or rich kids that act like wiggers.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited November 2011
    You kids are all up to no good, hrrmph.

SHUT UP, GRANDAD :angry:
    chippy wrote: »
    Get off my lawn !!!

YOU TOO! :mad:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    I always thought oldies called young'uns "whippersnappers" because that was the sound and firmness of their dicks as opposed to that of a 60yo+ one

After a few years, I found out I was wrong :(
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited December 2011
    i dont have this problem here even when i wore all black or had my trihawk or crown of thorns