Speeding up an old laptops performance.

MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
Well I know the very basics..I think. I went through and deleted all of the programs and files that I don't want/need/use. I've defragged it a few times, I've merged my two harddrives into one, and I ran an AV just to be safe (I deleted the AV Software after scanning) Is there anything else I can do to help performance?

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2010
    > disable unessential services
    > classic look
    > disable unnecessary start-up entries.

What's more important is what is running, not what is installed.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited July 2010
    > disable unessential services
    > classic look
    > disable unnecessary start-up entries.

What's more important is what is running, not what is installed.

Tell me more about disabling unessential services and unnecessary start-up entries.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    run msconfig from the cmd prompt or the 'run box' and disable services you don't need. Things like ATI managers, win.live, messengers, etc...

Or depending on your OS, go to admin. tools in the CP and disable processes. You can google some suggestions.

Try also customizing visual appearances. If you're running Vista or 7, disabling aero, transparency and all that preview crap would give you a noticeable performance boost.

Start --> Right click Computer [properties] --> Advanced System settings [on the left panel] --> Advanced Tab [Performance: visual settings] --> Settings --> Uncheck the first 6.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    You should typically do a clean install every months. And if you don't have one already, put a 7,200 RPM hard drive in there, or better yet 10,000. SEAGATE!!

Never use Hitachi "deathstars".
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    Depending on how old, ubuntu or puppy linux could drastically improve performance.