Totseans Blog/Website Hosting

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2012 in Help and Suggestions
Since we're a small community and most of us have IRL project (Paco) that need some help with and some of you might have a domain and need a place to host that said page. Well, good news. Since this is unlimited hosting and we can add more websites to it, I decided that it would be a great way to offer something back to the community. So, basically instead of paying a hosting company some money to host your website, why not donate to the hosting setup we have and just have your blog and website hosted here. You will get free support, help with building the website and pretty much access to me.

You can have lets say a portfolio website that you can link to people, you can have your domain up and you can practice building yourself. But most of all, it will serve as a portfolio or a blog or a website that you can use to get your word out or get some jobs. Obviously there is some content restriction but considering that most of us what a platform that can get our name and work out, I am sure nothing bad will happen. This service is available only to select few people. The hosting charges are none but it would be nice if you can could donate few dollars per month just to keep things going.

Once the project I am working on finally launches, this would be taken care off for one time year or two year basis.

Anyway, thoughts and ideas are always welcome. To sign up, just send me the domain and I will set it up. You will be required to change the name servers hopefully everything would be up and running in 48 hours. Also, you can only use Wordpress or a static website. Can't have VB here. Also, the website you put up will be monitored by me (managed) because I do have a central system that I use to monitor wordpress websites (currently watch over 36 websites) although this isn't a requirement but it will help keep YOUR website safe from hacks. This is just a preventive measure, I just hate getting hacked :P.

Other than that, it's all yours.

FTP access will be given to the directory for uploading and working with the files but any major changes would have to be done by me (SQL DB creation etc).

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Liking the idea. I was seriously thinking of getting my own site. How much is hosting? (excuse the possibility of a stupid question).
    I should really learn CSS/PHP as well.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Liking the idea. I was seriously thinking of getting my own site. How much is hosting? (excuse the possibility of a stupid question).

It's 14 Dollars per month. But return you get some good hosting. Also, when we move into a bigger hosting solution in future, you get automatically upgraded. It's not like totse.info implementation that we enabled in the past.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    I'll eventually take you up on the offer, Mr.Dfg.
  • edited July 2012
    We should design a small logo to go somewhere on people's sites that says "Powered by Totseans.com" or something, just so there's always links back to here.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Good point, trx. And yep, I am in the same boat as Mr Slartibartfast. Just gotta wait for some money to come in.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, same here. When I go to uni, having a site would be pretty cool :)
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2012
    RemadE wrote: »

There are some pretty cool free wordpress templates out there, php, java and css ready. Many of them have reasonably good support and mod tutorials via forums and blogs. Just need to google it. ;) I modify the css here and there and add my own images to suit the new owners theme. The php will hardly need modding unless you want some major layout changes to the aquired theme or add ons. Wordpress also has a few widgets that can be utilised.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/ is a great place for upcoming web design superstars like yourself and if you need any help just PM me. Always keen on helping a brother out. :thumbsup:

Great idea Dfg, and a generous offer. :)
  • edited July 2012
    I'm going to be teaching my Dad some basic HTML soon... That could prove to be quite a challenge considering what he's already like with technology :facepalm: Good luck with learning CSS (which is easy as fuck, you'll have no problems) and PHP (which, once you get the hang of programming in general, is also quite easy and seriously powerful). Both are fun to use, and both are pretty much fundamental when making a good website.