Blew The Head Gasket On My 76 Shovelhead.

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited January 2014 in Man Cave
About 6 days ago I blew the rear head gasket on my 1976 Super Glide FXE (Shovelhead). So yesterday I got a top end gasket set and today I took the top end apart. While the carburetor was off I took it apart to put a smaller jet in to compensate for less back pressure resulting from the straight pipes I put on a few months back. Fortunately the head did not warp so tomorrow I will reassemble the top end and hopefully be back up before the sun sets. I will try to remember to take some picks before I reassemble and after it is up. If I do I will post them in this thread.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2014
    That completely went over my head...
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2014
    Here Dfg, watch this.

Anyhow, I got her back up with a 12 hour unplanned delay due to the rear tire needing replaced. Yesterday we rode for about 6 hours including a ride down to Sarasota for the Thunder on The Bay event. All in all t was a great day with about 290 miles of actual riding stretched out over about 12 hours.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2014
    Ahh ... Harley engineering :heart: I did a couple of valves on a 300zx twin turbo once and it was enough of a job to get me interested in web-design. :rolleyes:
    edited January 2014
    I did Web shit in the early 90's ad that was enough to make me like wrenches LOL.
    edited January 2014
    When you compare Harley's engineering to any rice burner you tend to appreciate yester-years mechanical simplicity. For instance! I have a passion for 60s to 70s Chryslers be they Oz, US, Brazillian, etc. (More Australian though.). Because of my passion I became a mechanic & along came fuckin japanese automotive tech Don't get me wrong! I learned a lot from it but it took away that passion.

As far as web stuff is concernedI see it from a different perspective. For example! HTML has changed in leaps and bounds. Previously you could slap everything into an html format including layout but then along came css and viola ..... shit was coming together in a much cleaner format, but we still had speed bumps in the form of JavaScript and BOOM html5 and css3 came into view. By this time, believe me, I'm cracking a huge semi. I wanna see what cums next before I do.
    edited January 2014
    Harley Engineering prior to 1984 (shovelhead, panhead, knucklehead, flathead etc) was simple Points instead of EI, apsirated instead of injected etc. But in 84 they came out with the evo then the dyno after that and the simplicity went out the window. That being said I will never sell my shovelhead. Hell if the points shit the bed while I am riding I can stop at any autoparts store and pick up a set of chevy 305 points, gap them with a match book, and ride it home. I can tear apart the entire top end and rebuild the carb with the the tools in my saddle bags so long as I have the gaskets. Try that with a new school moter eh?
    edited January 2014
    Fuck me, now I have a short in the handle bar wires on the throttle side. every time I try to use the electric start on my shovelhead (FXE E = electric start) I blow a 30 amp fuse in the ignition circuit. Fortunately it has a kick start and at 52 I am not only still kickin' it I still can kick it. Anyhow tomorrow's project is to disassemble the the throttle on the handlebars and find out which wire is touching what.
    edited January 2014
    That shouldn't take you long to find the issue bro, after all there aren't many place on a Harley that short circuit can hide. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2014
    I'm pretty sure it's just wire rubbed raw in the handle bars. Had a bike event this weekend so I just used the kick start. Maybe today I will fix it if it gets warm. Or might just lay on the couch and nurse a two day hangover.
    edited January 2014
    A 2 day hangover instigated by 2 40oz's?
    edited January 2014
    bornkiller wrote: »
    A 2 day hangover instigated by 2 40oz's?
    More like 2 days at the Gibtown Bikefest

Sent from my Duck Dodgers lunch box
    edited January 2014
    More like 2 days at the Gibtown Bikefest Sent from my Duck Dodgers lunch box
    Aaahhhh ...... 2 days worth. That'll do eet.
    edited January 2014
    Shit got real this week tell you fellas all about it after Monday.
    edited January 2014
    The bikes still alright, ya? :confused:
    edited January 2014
    Yeah the bike is fine I got my ass in a jamb and I am on the lamb until Monday. More details when I am sure I don't incriminate myself by posting here.
    edited January 2014
    Enough said ..... hur from you when the time is right. ;)