Why do dogs lye on their backs

Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
edited August 2010 in Life
Is it to show you're dominant or because they want their bellies rubbed? :confused:

Comments

• MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
    Stoner-Dog-Feels-good-man.jpg

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_dogs_lay_on_their_backs

Its their way of showing submission. If a dog goes on his back to you he is accepting you as his master. This is part of the answer but here's a little more in-depth version as reported by USA Today.
    In general, dogs lie on their back for three reasons.

First, if your dog lies there totally relaxed, he probably does so because it "just feels good", says veterinarian Holly R. Nash, of Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc. in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. He must feel safe since he's exposing his throat, gut, and heart to possible attack.

Or, second, he may be showing respect. Dogs live in family-based packs like wolves, and follow deference rules, controlled, perhaps, by the oldest female, says Karen L. Overall, ABS Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist and researcher at the University of Pennsylvania.

So, a dog that lies down and rolls over on his back may simply be deferring to you.

Dogs have let us - a different species - into their social structure over the millennia since we first domesticated wolves, at least 14,000 years ago and perhaps 60,000 to 100,000 years ago.

Finally, he may be withdrawing, disengaging, seeking time alone. Note the dog lying on his back in the drawing. His chest is partially covered (with his paws). This indicates withdrawal, says Overall. In the canine world, his behavior clearly states, "Leave me alone." Disturb him, even to pet, at your own risk.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited August 2010
    Thanks!

So I wasted all that time rubbing his belly. lol. >_>
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    ^He probably enjoys it as well. My dog 'purrs' when I rub his belly sometimes. If he doesn't I stop, it's a two way street :p
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2010
    of course dogs love a good belly rub too, i think they do that when they look you in the eye, then drop and roll over.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    The dog trolls your into submission by tricking you into rubbing him out.