How-to Spell my username.

NamasteNamaste Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
N-A-M-A-S-T-E.

Since none of you seem to ever get it.

Just kidding around, really, but I was just thinking about it. So, yeah. :p

I don't know if this counts as my normal crappiness or not... because I thought it was sort of funny, but y'all might not, so just go ahead and trash it if it's a step in the wrong direction.

I sort of made this to ask more advice though.
As y'all can see, I made my first "quality" thread, which it's really just luck it turned out not being shit.
But I used my best idea, and the other will be harder.
So I was thinking someone should make a guide to guide making. XD
No, but can y'all just give me a few tips on how to keep it organized and on track? Thanks.

(I really do apologize if this is a step in the wrong direction, if it is, just trash it or let it die, and mail me advice on guide-making, perhaps? I really am trying, guys. Just... obviously bad at this sort of thing. But I'm learning...)

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    If it's not a real guide, don't put 'How-To' or 'Guide' prefixes. Type it in instead.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    If it's not a real guide, don't put 'How-To' or 'Guide' prefixes. Type it in instead.

Oh... sorry.

But then... it actually kind of is a guide. Just a really short one.
    Because I did actually teach people how-to spell my username...

Does anyone have a link to like a list of y'all's rules or something? Because I don't know this stuff... and I hate to piss people off because I'm doing something wrong. If I don't have anything to go by though, it's sort of hard. >.<
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    When i started making threads (i waited till i had 800 posts for some reason) i couldn't think of any ideas and i ended up making one or two threads a week and then as i got used to making them i just started getting ideas for them more frequently. You will eventually just get ideas popping into your head and it will become much easier to make guides and interesting threads.

I have several ideas for guides, actually, but I just don't know how to organize them properly. I mean, it's dumb luck my first one wasn't total shit, but I feel like I'll have trouble keeping the others on track. It's not so much lack of ideas, as not knowing how to format it and keep it organized and on track properly.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    If you want to get some ideas. Start reading RSS feeds or just use Reddit and you will have tons of ideas. Or if you want some help. Just ask me :)

Namaste you can make a guide on eating disorders, self-esteem issues and handling hate.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    If you want to get some ideas. Start reading RSS feeds or just use Reddit and you will have tons of ideas. Or if you want some help. Just ask me :)

Namaste you can make a guide on eating disorders, self-esteem issues and handling hate.

Again, not so much lack of ideas on what to make guides about, as lack of understanding of how to properly make a guide. >.< Idk. Maybe it seems obvious to most people, but I'm just weird about writing such things. I feel like I need an outline or something to go off of. Maybe I'm overthinking this... I'm not sure.
  • edited September 2010
    You're overthinking it for sure. If you're gonna write a guide about something, you'll know what it's going to be about, 100% in your mind before you start :P
    edited September 2010
    Just read other guides and follow along, it's quite simple.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    You're overthinking it for sure. If you're gonna write a guide about something, you'll know what it's going to be about, 100% in your mind before you start :P

It's not at all WHAT it's about though... I'm starting to question y'all's reading comprehension skills. I thought I was being pretty clear. O.O

I know what it's gonna be about, but I can go on and on about some subjects for like literally HOURS at a time. With no idea how to format it, it could end up being utterly useless crap just because it's too long and no one wants to read it. Or because it's not organized in a way that it's clear and concise enough for people to understand.

I need some sort of frame. I HAVE the ideas, just no foundation on which to build a guide around, properly. I don't wanna waste my time doing something wrong, and y'all seem to be the picky type.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Do this, just post that damn thing and we will help you format it :).
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Do this, just post that damn thing and we will help you format it :).

That sounds good, I guess..
    edited September 2010
    Could we also get the How-to prefix of this thread removed? Because it isn't a real guide and don't want this to end up on the front page when guides are made into text files.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Could we also get the How-to prefix of this thread removed? Because it isn't a real guide and don't want this to end up on the front page when guides are made into text files.

Sorry. >.<
    Link to rules about these things would be nice... I mean, I'm going to continue to do such things if y'all leave me out of the loop and don't even let me know things things. I really can't read your minds...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    How-to: Help Namaste Write Some Instructional Threads.

Since we all know Namaste has a hard time getting her ideas across and she feels all her time would be wasted if users didn't like it. I thought why not help her out.

For this you will need Namaste attention. Just post this guide in Namaste thread and she will read it.

Namaste follow these simple instructions:
    Take a deep breath and think of something simple. Like eating a candy. Now try writing a simple guide about eating a candy.

How to eat a candy:
    A) Buy a candy.
    B) Hold the candy with your hands and then peel of the wrapper.
    C) Pop it in your mouth and enjoy the tasty flavors.

See, that wasn't hard.

Once you get used to it, you can easily write more detailed instructions.

Second, Organization of ideas. Most of the time you're flooded with ideas and 50% of the guides just end up into nothing. It's like you're writing about corn and end up with lemons. The trick is to make an outline.

Guide: How to date a camel.

Outline:
    Talk about Camels.
    Talk about dating camels,
    Discuss pros and cons.
    Talk about camel breeds and types.
    Copy the human dating guide and adjust it for camels.
    Add some lulz
    Add a rape scene
    You're done.

Now, the above is just an outline, you can troll your way through pages if you want. The aim is to be concise. Do not over explain things.

Third, just write. If you hold yourself back you will never feel comfortable.

The last part is important and it's called formatting. But right now you just need to understand the basics. Read this guide on formatting:
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=3543
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    I reported this thread. This is a gross missuse of the "how-to" tags. I hope they ban you over this.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    she feels all her time would be wasted if users didn't like it.

Not so much like it, but if no one bothers to read it, then yeah, of course it is. I don't post on here for my health, that's for damn sure, and guides take longer than my typical post. If it's so cluttered that no one bothers to read it, then it's actually a FACT that it was a waste of my time. Because obviously, I already know what I'm writing.

But it doesn't just go for me. It'd be a waste of anyone's time to write a guide that no one bothered to read because it was too cluttered or long. And you mofos are like the pickiest people on the internet, so it wouldn't be hard.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I lol'ed at how to date a camel. Namaste just do what you did with the jump rope guide. It's really not hard just write about things you know about.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    I reported this thread. This is a gross missuse of the "how-to" tags. I hope they ban you over this.

I've asked for a link to the rules about this multiple times. I'm not a mind-reader. I'd do better in the future if I knew the fucking rules, but I have yet to see ONE person give me a link to them, so I don't know what you expect me to do.
    Since when did &T have Nazi-strict rules?
    I was on break when this happened obviously, so how can I be blamed?
    edited September 2010
    Dfg's guide deserves its own thread :o
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Namaste just do what you did with the jump rope guide. It's really not hard just write about things you know about.

I pretty much just BSed it, though... I don't really KNOW how I did that. I just did. Oh well... if it works, I guess...

Thanks for all the help, guys.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, but seriously... link to rules about these things, perhaps? Not joking, I'm dead serious, I really don't know what is and against the rules if no one tells me where I can read through them...
  • edited September 2010
    Since when did &T have Nazi-strict rules?

It doesn't, and never has done. Do we even have rules here? Other than the obvious rules of forums in general :D
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    It doesn't, and never has done. Do we even have rules here? Other than the obvious rules of forums in general :D

Everyone is freaking out about my misuse of the "how-to" tag, and implying it's a ban-able offense, so there must be rules, and I really need a link to where to read them. That's not obvious... I mean, I've never even been on a forum with "prefixes" so it couldn't be OBVIOUS.

So yeah... I need that link...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    Not so much like it, but if no one bothers to read it, then yeah, of course it is. I don't post on here for my health, that's for damn sure, and guides take longer than my typical post. If it's so cluttered that no one bothers to read it, then it's actually a FACT that it was a waste of my time. Because obviously, I already know what I'm writing.

But it doesn't just go for me. It'd be a waste of anyone's time to write a guide that no one bothered to read because it was too cluttered or long. And you mofos are like the pickiest people on the internet, so it wouldn't be hard.

Don't worry about that. I check all the guides and format them if required.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited September 2010
    Wuts a nazi lol i dunt evan :o:o:o:o
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    Don't worry about that. I check all the guides and format them if required.

Okay then.
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    It is definitely not bannable so don't worry. The worst that could happen would be a simple thread name change.

okay. Well... still... are these kinds of rules not listed anywhere? I feel bad for misusing it, and I'd like to avoid such mistakes in the future.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Namaste wrote: »
    okay. Well... still... are these kinds of rules not listed anywhere? I feel bad for misusing it, and I'd like to avoid such mistakes in the future.
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/faq.php
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=868

If you need anything else just ask in the Help Section
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/faq.php
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=868

If you need anything else just ask in the Help Section

Thank you. :)