is there a personal information infraction here?

Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Yep. Unless it's not of TOTSE.INFO member, if my understanding is correct.
  • RainycityRainycity Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    i uno im new
  • Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Yep. Unless it's not of TOTSE.INFO member, if my understanding is correct.

hmm, I'll have to double check
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited September 2010
    Rainycity wrote: »
    i uno im new

fagat.
  • sAINTsAINT Regular
    edited September 2010
    Kind of a gray area..I have heard Dfg say in mod section only when the forums first came online he didn't want posting of personal info, but later on said it was okay, even in the thread about Firestarter..As long as it's not an available option in the infraction list to infract someone with (it still isnt) i dont see anything wrong.
  • edited September 2010
    I'd say post it up. I'm not sure it's anywhere in the rules, but it's been done before with that Zoklet mod.

It's the internet, nobody really cares :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, I could add new infractions for personal information. But it really doesn't work. I tried this on Zoklet and it only makes matters worse by allowing mods to be trigger happy. Right now, every major action is judged by the regulars,mods,global mod and Admins and since mods rarely take any action no one gets bored by it.

If you have to post, as a request keep the information to a bare minimum. I don't want Totse.info to become a place were personal information regarding users is openly shared. If this trends picks up, I will be forced to control it. Just make sure it's not your fellow Totsean. We have to be loyal to other mates!

Btw if it's a girl [and not from Totse] and you're trying to post nekkid pictures than shame on you for asking. POST THEM UP!
    edited September 2010
    Dfg wrote: »

Btw if it's a girl [and not from Totse] and you're trying to post nekkid pictures than shame on you for asking. POST THEM UP!

lol, it is, and I'll let you take a wild guess as to who it is
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited September 2010
    Pls post.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope it's wires.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    To me, the rules state that moderators should protect others personal information.
    FAQ wrote:
    11. Protect others information. You're responsible for keeping users data private. Do not betray their trust by leaking information regarding them to anyone.
    Source: http://totse.info/bbs/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_moderation

This isn't to say that you would be infracted by posting others info, but if it was intended to cause bodily harm to the user or they PM'd me asking to edit out his/her personal information, I would do so. I'd like to think if my personal information was posted with a malicious intent, I'd have the option for it to be taken down.
  • RainycityRainycity Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    why is daily stil a faggot , i thought it was better over here.
    edited September 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    To me, the rules state that moderators should protect others personal information.

Source: http://totse.info/bbs/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_moderation

This isn't to say that you would be infracted by posting others info, but if it was intended to cause bodily harm to the user or they PM'd me asking to edit out his/her personal information, I would do so. I'd like to think if my personal information was posted with a malicious intent, I'd have the option for it to be taken down.

We have to protect totse members' information. If it might cause someone actual harm, I think we have to remove the info as well. Personal info wasn't allowed on the old totse and for good reason. It would have led to 4chan-style death threats, irl trolling, and stupid pranks. Honestly it'd be best if we removed any and all personal info not posted by the user, but if that's not what the policy is then whatever. If I see people posting totse member personal info in S&A I'll delete it on sight. We're here to safeguard the users' IPs and not allow people to spam their home addresses or facebook accounts.

If they're not on totse, I really don't care, though.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I dont think there is one specifically. Still spreading personal info of totse members would be lame. No need to take internet feud's to real life.
    edited September 2010
    It's not bannable, but we can delete the content.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Posting personal information is not bannable unless the person is trying to get Totse member in trouble. Like take IDM case. A mod took his info and tried to get him in trouble. This will get you banned for an extended period of time with an IP ban added just in case. Sure you might be able to use another account but your main account gets banned.

Furthermore, only Super mods or higher can take decisions on personal information (referring to ban) [for the time being, until I have all the mods in place and I have some good number of mods trained to handle this situation] But, since mods are there to protect users, they have full authority to take down threads, posts with personal information regarding a Totse member.

For example:
    I post bornkiller name, social security number, address and stuff and try to spam it everywhere or I just post it because I want to cause problems for him. Doing that will get you banned instantly, Ip banned as well.

But that's just a rare case scenario. Normally if you act like a jackass, your post will be removed if the victim simply asks us to remove it. By then you will receive a PM from me or any mod to stop posting that information and try to resolve the matter.

I want matters to be resolved without any force. Some times all you need to do is act like a 3rd party and resolve the conflict. Since, Totse will grow much more, we will have a permanent solution for this. Right now, we're all in learning mode. Everyone is new and it's easier to try to test different methods to resolve sensitive issues.

If you have any idea or want to try something else. I am listening as always :). But keep in mind community matters the most on Totse.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    -SpectraL: That's why I don't bother contributing anything on either Zoklet or totse.info. Totse had solid rules that were enforced for the welfare of the entire community. It didn't pander to spamming asshat-children like totse.info and Zoklet does. Neither of these communities in any way reflect the magic and strength that was Totse. Totse.info and Zoklet can never be anything more than common shitholes with no rules and no mission statements.
    Source

I decided to answer this here.
    A) We have rules and we enforce them. Since personal information is a sensitive issue and most of the time you can't verify if the information is legit, you need a trained user base along with moderators that can handle this job without causing any problems. I want to avoid mistakes, not recreate them.
    B) Totse.info doesn't carter to kidiots. Granted we get our fair share of new users but we only aim to educate them and make them a better poster. That's what we aim for. We want to make new Totseans out of everyone.
    C) We follow the same missions statement Totse followed. We come here to share knowledge and learn something new and become part of a growing community.
    D) Totse was many things and Totse.info just started. it will take us some time to iron out everything and have a system in place that will work for the majority ( you can't make everyone happy).

When it comes to matter of community, I am super sensitive. I like being careful about things and I want to test things out and run it through the community before implementing things.The whole point of Totse.info is to develop a new system of running Totse that will make it strong. I want the Admin to work for the community, to be a part of the community. I want everyone to feel they have the power to make things work. For me everyone is equal and everyone has the same rights.

The firestarter issue was unavoidable. I let it go because I needed a sample. Everyone saw Firestarter thread on Totse. I posted in it and most of the user posted in it. But nobody did anything with it. It's still there and no one cares about it. Since, you restrict access to something, people usually want to go after it. FS information was already spreading like wild-fire via PM. If someone wanted to fuck with him, they would have done it long ago.

I am not saying Totse.info has the perfect solution etc. I just want to develop a system that will minimize the damage and work towards a better community. I don't want mods to step in and start banning left and right. I want the community, the users to just ignore that information and insult the poster and discourage him or guide him. That's what I aim for. If the user base doesn't like it, the poster would think twice before posting it.

So, be optimistic and work with the community to make a core community that will guide future users into making the correct decisions.

We need a strong core community if we want to survive.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited September 2010
    That was well put Dfg. I think that in a way having low traffic to begin with is a good thing for Totse. It allows us to test these new waters and see what can and can't be done. We are all the forefathers of Totse.info therefore we need to carefully guide our community into a position where it works for itself. With enough guidance I see this place becoming quite self sufficient, with little need for rule enforcing or bans.
    edited September 2010