The Magnificent Seven [1960]

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
magseven.jpg
A bandit terrorizes a small Mexican farming village each year. Several of the village elders send three of the farmers into the United States to search for gunmen to defend them. They end up with 7, each of whom comes for a different reason. They must prepare the town to repulse an army of over 100 bandits who will arrive wanting food. An Americanization of the film, Shichinin no samurai (1954)

A remake of "The Seven Samurai." Seven men are picked to guard a Mexican village from Banditos that come every now and then to take whatever the town has grown since their last visit. When they are hired, they go to the town and teach the villagers how to defend themselves. When the leader of the bandits come, they fight him and his men off. the second time he comes the villagers give the seven to them, due to a heated argument. The leader of the bandits take their guns and throw them out of town he gives them horses and gives their guns back to them when they are far out of town. The seven decide that they aren't going to run, and head back to the village for a final showdown

Trivia
According to Eli Wallach's autobiography, Yul Brynner had a major problem with what he perceived as Steve McQueen's trying to upstage him. According to Wallach, McQueen would do things when on screen with Brynner to draw attention to his character. Examples were his shaking of the shotgun shells and taking off his hat to check the sun during the hearse scene and leaning off his horse to dip his hat in the river when the Seven cross into Mexico. Brynner was supposedly so worried about McQueen stealing his limelight in scenes that he hired an assistant to count the number of times McQueen touched his own hat when he [Brynner] was speaking.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/

I would say i loved watching every scene of this movie, it's western and i am not a fan of western movies in general but wow, i actually enjoyed watching it.

The story is simple and quite predictable at times but on the whole the movie genuinely quite enjoyable. On a Sunday afternoon this movie can literally make all your tensions go away.

Fast paced action and fantastic musical score makes this movie worth remembering in it's genre for a long time.