the DXM cacti of Waynesboro

MorningsideMorningside Regular
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
DXM cacti first appeared several months ago on the banks of the South River. The Name "DXM cacti" is a reference to the psychoactive effects of this "plant", said to be similar to consuming a large dose of dextromethorphan, the active ingredient in Robitussin cough syrup. The plant was discovered to have these effects by a young Waynesborian named Thruart who ate a piece of the cacti while walking near the river with a group of friends.

Following this incident, word spread many young people in the Waynesboro area began experimenting with this drug. Many had good experiences with the "plant," however those who took too high of a dose were affected by what is now called "violet fever." In a case of Violet fever, the afflicted begins to run a high fever and the capillaries in the body all burst, giving the skin a bruised, purple tint. Eventually the fever will fry the brain and thus kill the afflicted. Strangely, the fever will continue to rise after death to over 300 degrees farenheit, literally cooking the victims body. For the time being, there is no scientific explanation for this.

The plant is similar in appearance to coral, dark purple in color, with smaller red tendrils protruding from it at various intervals. The taste is said to be both bitter and sour, as well as completely foreign to the human palette. None of the users I talked to could describe anything analogous to the taste. The standard dose is one to two inches of the stalk. Any more than this and the risk of Violet Fever becomes a very real possibility.

As I mentioned before, the effects are similar to a recreational dose of dextromethorphan, commonly called DXM. Users report more euphoria than with DXM, with the possibility of a "bad trip" virtually nonexistant. The most interesting thing to note about the effects is that most users report having visions of a desert landscape with a red sun inhabited by humanoid creatures who, rather than having a head, have a mass of tentacle like appendages protruding from the torso where a human would have a neck.

The "plant" is quickly becoming more populous along the river, and I had little difficulty in securing one for my own use. I will be taking a dose to confirm the existence of the alien landscape described by the users. If this is indeed true, my research will continue. Wish me luck...

Comments