The Greatest Story Ever Told

thewandererthewanderer Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Somebody showed this to me a few days ago and I found it so interesting that I thought I should post it here. It really makes you think.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2010
    That was extremely interesting.

EDIT: I googled around a bit and it's also factually inaccurate.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    I've heard about Zeitgeist and its false claims, but the first video is pretty interesting. Gonna kill some time watching all of them.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    Watched all three parts.

I lol'd at their research.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    I love Zeitgeist, it's refreshing to see a movie that puts a lot of ridiculous christian myths to rest.

The research is shitty. Zeitgeist has been debunked it proves nothing.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
  • VertannoVertanno Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2011
    That movie is a cunt, it just makes up shit.
    edited January 2011
    I also thought religulous was awesome. It really showed how hollow arguments for religion are.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I also thought religulous was awesome. It really showed how hollow arguments for religion are.

Yeh, it pretty much summarised why I stopped believing.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Now I'm no religious motherfucker, but even this film makes me rage, simply because I know a guy who "saw Angels" when he got high and as soon as he sees a Christian or whatever, starts shouting "ZEITGEIST! ZEITGEIST!" as if it's HIS gospel.

Srsly. Grow up. I just want to see both parties dead.
  • edited January 2011
    That was extremely interesting.

EDIT: I googled around a bit and it's also factually inaccurate.

True, but a good deal of people have seen this, and I feel that if it gets them to question religion, it's worth the inaccuracy.
    edited January 2011
    True, but a good deal of people have seen this, and I feel that if it gets them to question religion, it's worth the inaccuracy.

No because the problem is once they realize its innacurate it may only strengthen their belief. Zeitgeist is also a perfect example of how people will believe anything on the internet. There are so many legit arguments against religion that making stuff up shouldn't be needed.
    edited January 2011
    As for the that God who wasn't there documentary: Quite strange that it says the Pauline epistles observe no recollection of Jesus having existed, when Paul was asked whom the man of lawlessness is, he responded by saying that He who denieth that Jesus came in flesh.

Found the blokes antics fairly annoying and childish. Anyone who reads the gospels and cannot decipher Jesus as a real historical figure has no grasp on books and how voices are manipulated.

Has any of you noticed that the documentaries share a common allegiance in making fun of religion?
  • edited January 2011
    No because the problem is once they realize its innacurate it may only strengthen their belief. Zeitgeist is also a perfect example of how people will believe anything on the internet. There are so many legit arguments against religion that making stuff up shouldn't be needed.

If legit arguments worked, people wouldn't buy into it in the first place.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Vertanno wrote: »
    Found the blokes antics fairly annoying and childish. Anyone who reads the gospels and cannot decipher Jesus as a real historical figure has no grasp on books and how voices are manipulated.

The Bible is not a book of facts; it's not even a primary source. Of course Jesus might have existed, a lot of people existed back then, but whether he actually did all that stuff exactly as the gospels say is a whole other matter.
    Vertanno wrote: »
    Has any of you noticed that the documentaries share a common allegiance in making fun of religion?

That's because religion is silly.
    If legit arguments worked, people wouldn't buy into it in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    As much as I think Dawkins is a prick, the idea that religion is a meme is a good one.
    edited January 2011
    Nevertheless the story is still the greatest ever told, we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn, we played the flute, and you did not dance!