New Macbook Air [Oct. 2010]

13371337 Regular
edited October 2010 in Tech & Games
11" - http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/macbook-air-11-6-inch-first-hands-on/
13" - http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/macbook-air-13-inch-first-hands-on/

Today, Apple introduced the new macbook air in the standard 13" and now with a 11" screen. They managed to get the 11 air in the sub-$1000 category (ie, $999) with a 64GB SSD and 2GB RAM. The new Airs have an instant on OS feature, an extra USB port, and an SD card reader now. Apple also claims that they have a 13 hour standby battery life.

I like how Apple passive-aggressively decided not to include the adobe flash plugin with the new macbook airs. Their computers have always come with the flash plugin - it fits with the whole "it just works" campaign, but now apple has got a grudge to deal with. Looks like the customers are always the losers when Jobs gets a big fucking head. :angry: Just to be clear, you can download the plugin from adobe's website and flash works fine on the air.

Comments

• fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    A whole 2gb of RAM. Wow.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    By the way, apple explained the no flash plugin deal. They say they will stop including it in all updates for all machines. They say it's because the user will then have to download the most recent flash plugin through the adobe website.

Funny, apple hasn't worried about this before. I wonder why all of the sudden they see that flash is dangerous.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    Overpriced, underpowered hardware IMO. You could get a beast laptop for $1K, dual cores, 4 or 6gb DDR3 etc.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    Overpriced, underpowered hardware IMO. You could get a beast laptop for $1K, dual cores, 4 or 6gb DDR3 etc.

Oh definitely, but your computer wouldn't look like an ax head and it wouldn't have instant on. :o
    edited October 2010
    Big whoop.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    Big whoop.

It actually is, normally when people pay the apple tax they don't get anything extra. At least now they get instant on and a 30 day standby battery life.
    edited October 2010
    Every laptop has instant on :facepalm:
    edited October 2010
    Whatever, blow your money on a shitty computer, IDC.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Every laptop has instant on :facepalm:

Instant on ≠ hibernating/sleep.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    o kool an xtra $1000 4 instan on? i buy i buy!
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    o kool an xtra $1000 4 instan on? i buy i buy!

Seeing as how the air costs $1000, you can get a pc laptop for free? I don't know why you'd even consider the mac if you have some means to get free PC laptops.
    edited October 2010
    You know what he meant. An extra $350 for instant on. Plus you need to give up a modern processor and chipset, and 4 gb of ram.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    I tried to compare the 11in to a pc laptop, but I don't know what to compare it to. Anything with a screen that small probably has an atom chip, but the air has a C2D. They also only have SSD on the air, which would up the price of a windows machine significantly.

No doubt it's a better deal to buy a windows machine, has anything changed?
    edited October 2010
    1337 wrote: »
    I tried to compare the 11in to a pc laptop, but I don't know what to compare it to. Anything with a screen that small probably has an atom chip, but the air has a C2D. They also only have SSD on the air, which would up the price of a windows machine significantly.

No doubt it's a better deal to buy a windows machine, has anything changed?

Friend of mine was looking at this just yesterday: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m11x/fs

11 inches. Sub-1000. Specs destroy the air.
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited October 2010
    The only SSD they offer is 256gb and it's $600.
    edited October 2010
    Oh is an SSD required? The air has a measly 64 gb while this one starts with a minimum 160 gb even though it's not an SSD.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    Holy crap that's a failure.

Remember when Jobs raged and called Flash a battery hog? I thought he was being sarcastic.

Why is everyone getting so butthurt about it on MacRumors? All ya gotta do is go to adobe.com and install, LOL.
    edited October 2010
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=419604&t=2316479

12.1'', but it's slick as fuck.

# Box Contents: ASUS UL20FT-A1 Notebook, AC Adapter, 6-cell Battery (up to 6 hours); Software: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, ASUS Utility, 1-Year Limited Global Warranty, 1-Year Accidental Damage Warranty
    # Intel Core i3-330UM 1.20GHz Processor
    # 3MB Cache
    # 2GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM
    # 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    # 12.1" HD (1366x768) LED Backlight Display
    # Integrated 0.3MP Webcamera
    # Intel GMA HD Graphics
    # 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
    # 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN
    # Built-in speaker and microphone
    # 5-in-1 Card Reader SD, MMC, xD, MS, MS-PRO
    # Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, RJ-45 (LAN), Headphone-out, Microphone-in, VGA
    # Dimensions (WxDxH): 11.8 x 8.4 x 1.0 inches
    # Weight: 3.3 pounds

For $589

So you could buy a sick ass SSD to put in it and still be under $1000.
    --

The macbook air is nothing special. Sure, it's cheaper than Sony's high end ultra thin offering, but there are 11'' and 12'' laptops with nice specs for way cheaper.

Instant on isn't the same thing as sleep? My laptop comes on instantly. Put in an SSD and your laptop will be on instantly.