People who think they know it all about cars

muffinsmuffins Regular
edited August 2010 in Man Cave
I usually dont complain much about anything but people who think they know everything really chap my ass. I spent years training, years in the field, took all my certifications, have around 50k invested in tools. but yes the 19 year old ricer at autozone knows more than i do. I wish people would step back and learn. so share your know it all stories

PS i dont know it all, but i do know how to read

Comments

• MasterMaster Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    muffins wrote: »
    I usually dont complain much about anything but people who think they know everything really chap my ass. I spent years training, years in the field, took all my certifications, have around 50k invested in tools. but yes the 19 year old ricer at autozone knows more than i do. I wish people would step back and learn. so share your know it all stories

PS i dont know it all, but i do know how to read

I can relate. I'm a journeyman welder. I've been welding for 14 years, did my apprenticeship, and went to one of the best welding schools in the world. I don't know everything, but I know way more than most other welders, and my hand skills are top notch.

I've seen plenty of failed attempts at welding. Lots of people can produce a weld that looks good, but is actually total shit. There are so many variables from proper electrode selection, voltage, amperage, volt/amp curve, inductance, base metal temperature, composition and metallurgical properties. Most people would be OK at welding a body panel on a car, but when it comes to things like hitches for cars, load bearing creations and such, you should probably hire a pro. At least if they fuck up, they're liable and should be insured.
  • ArgonPlasma2000ArgonPlasma2000 Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I don't get to talk to too many know-it-alls since most people don't know a lot about the machinist trade. :) Usually I get to play the know-it-all student when I'm at school because I get asked how to do something a lot of times when they don't want to bother the instructor.
  • The GeneralThe General Regular
    edited July 2010
    I know more about cars then I tell people. Just don't want to sound stupid if a question pops up.
  • edited August 2010
    My Cressida was pissing smoke/steam after a little burn, when I popped the hood it turned out it was the overflow tank spilling onto the block (wich was hot from a long ass drive shortly before my speed racing) My mate had a look under the hood and said my Air Con fan should be turning thinking it was the thermo fan. Wut would he know, he drives a Jap 180SX hurhur.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited August 2010
    I have the fun of driving a muscle car and get to hear how slow it is and how poor the suspension is from basically everyone since nobody drives old US cars anymore. Nevermind the transplanted motor, tranny swap, completely redone suspension, and custom undertray. :facepalm: I just let them ramble.

The most annoying thing in the world is someone pretending to know your own car better than you do (looking at you, Zoklet). At least this is true if you've torn into it and put lots of TLC into the thing. I'm no master mechanic, but after all the time I've spent on it, I'd like to think I'm at least a master of my own fucking vehicle.