UK Airgun laws [Published]

dr rockerdr rocker Regular
edited April 2011 in Man Cave
I see a lot of bullshit and misconception on the web regarding gun law, and specifically airgun law in the UK. A lot of people in the UK have never seen a gun IRL, let alone held or fired one.

This is highlighted by members of the publics reactions to guns. A member of the public saw some one with a .22 rifle fitted with a scope. He described it to the press as 'some huge James Bond sniper rifle with a telescope on it'. Hysteria much?

As far as analagies go, that one ranks along 'yeah man, a subaru imprezza is basically an F1 car'.

Before I begin, I will say if you are unfamiliar with guns, get to know them. Get to know the people that use them recreationally - have a bit of understanding on what is what, why something is totally unsuitable in some situations and let real knowledge form your opinions.

If you are on land you do not own, or do not have permission to shoot on with a loaded air rifle or an air rifle out of its bag or case, you can get done for armed tresspass. At all times when carrying an airrifle, you must have a legitimate reason for having it. Reasons would include travelling to or from a place where your are allowed to shoot, travelling to or from a place to purchase or sell the weapon, travelling to or from a place to have it repaired or modified.

If you are on land wich you own or have permission to shoot on, you must not be in a posiion closer than 50ft to the centre of a public highway when you fire it.

loaded in public - 6 months jail / £2500 fine
armed tresspass - 3 months in jail / £2500 fine
Having an air rifle intent to damage property - 10 years
using an air rifle in a threatening manner - 10 years

If you get sentanced to <3 years - 5 year ban on handling / owning a firearm
If sentanced to >3 years - lifetime ban.

If you shoot some one intentially - life
If you shoot some one in an avoidable accident and kill - manslaughter

These are all maximum sentances. You know what this country is like for guns now. When I was a kid, the police would normally not give a shit if you were shooting on public land, as long as you didnt look like you would cause a nuciance.

Now, if you are seen with any gun in public, armed response will turn up. They should give you three warnings to put it down, but it ussually goes

'ArmedPoliceDropTheWeapon,ArmedPoliceDropTheWeapon ,ArmedPoliceDropTheWeapon,' Bang and you are dead.

In answer to your question, no you do not need a licence unless the air rifle has a musle velocity of more than 12ft/lb. Anything with a musle velocity of over 1ft/lb is considered a fire arm.

You will then want to know how powerful your air rifle is. For example, with a crossman power pellet (14.3 grains), my Weirauch HW77 .22 (lets say it will have a musle velocity of 600fps) will be producing 11.43 ft/lbs.

If I used an air arms feild pellet (16.4 grains) I get 13.11 ft/lbs and become illegal. There will be a small drop in musle velocity, but only very small. Spin (left to right accuracy) and drop are effected more with a heavier pellet.

If I use an Eley Magnum (30 grains) and use that same musle velocity, we get 23.99 ft/lbs. Nearly double to the legal limit, and most FAC air rifles in the UK market are in the range of 30 ft/lbs.

Now, the police are not going to test your air rifle with the Eley magnum just to catch you out. Only an idiot would use them in a non FAC air rifle as you would just not hit the target.

Now, say I am out with a tin of H&N Trophy Hunter in my pocket, at 15.4 grains, that gives me 12.31 ft/lbs, I am illegal. Having seen quite a few Police Inspector sample papers, I wouldnt risk that call back to the station if I had a brand and model of air rifle with me that would have info on, or looked like it could shoot at 600fps and a tin of branded pellets, within a few minutes even google could tell you what position I would be in.

To calculate for your own air rifle

Weight of Pellet in grains X (FPS squared) / 450240

There is a magic number in all of this to keep you safe. If you can tune your air rifle to fire a projectile at 671 fps, the weight of the pellet in grains will give you the ft/lb exactly - eg, your pellet weights 12 grains, you have 12ft/lb. You dont get many pellets for a .22 (but quite a few for a .20) at 12 grains, but the Paragon Z2 is 12 grains.

My advice is just shoot where you are allowed to shoot, only shoot things you are allowed to shoot and the police wont hasstle you too much. In some shooting comps tho, not only do they chronograph (measure musle velocity, a lot do) but the police will be there too.

My local gun shop stickers the pellet tins with the average pellet weight in grains and I leave it on, in case anyone wants to know .

Comments

• KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh, I can go into my local sports shop and buy them like apples.
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks for posting this, very interesting thread to read especially as me and a friend often shoot his air-rifle and Co2 pistol. Never knew about certain laws, such as having to be further away than 50ft from a public highway :facepalm: Oh well.

We usually only shoot things which we own, shoot in his back yard and never at each other (although I did shoot him in the head with a crappy air pistol once :thumbsup:). Never had any trouble with the law, and we've been doing it for years.

Great guide though, thanks :D
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh, I can go into my local sports shop and buy them like apples.

Much as we in the UK can walk in a gun shop and buy a suppressor / sound moderator without having any kind of certification.

Most countries dont allow civilians to own then. The UK does.
  • edited January 2011
    That's some faggoty shit, England.
    edited January 2011
    That's some faggoty shit, England.

I am sure your concern will sway our parliment to change laws.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Great post. Not enough people in the UK know about the laws with air guns, meaning when I go out I get weird looks and the slight hysteria as I tend to sit in my mates woods with a cig and a 1,000 yard stare.

I lubb my baby. I get the "James Bond! wtf why is there a silencer?" reaction a lot. Glad I can hit a rabbit head and watch it backflip though ;) If you wish to look up more abut my rifle, it's a Theoben Rapid 7 Mk 1. £700+

16833317733979426231469.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    What exactly do silencers do on airguns? They're already pretty silent, IMO.
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Much as we in the UK can walk in a gun shop and buy a suppressor / sound moderator without having any kind of certification.

Much Like I can go and buy a .50cal rifle with nothing more than a background check.

Much like I can buy a taser.

Much Like I can buy a generation 3 night vision or thermal rifle scope.

Much Like I can buy a 200mW laser and not get arrested.

Much Like I can go take a walk down a street and not have a million cameras watch me.

Much like I can own up to 11 lbs of uranium metal without any licenses.

Don't you be telling me UK > USA.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    One thing i do love about America is how easy it is for me to buy a gun. Walk in quick paperwork and one call and I'm out of the store with a firearm.
  • edited January 2011

Huh? There's a law against this in the UK? I hope there isn't, I was looking for a laser to buy :(
    edited January 2011
    Not that I know of, trx. I have a 250mw one that burnt my black mate and I've had no legal naggings...yet.

As for the silencer, believe me they help. My rifle is pneumatic so it's quiet anyway, but I can guarantee you that with a silencer, nobody will hear you. go out hunting and you can plink away. I killed 3 rabbits who were in a line, and thanks to the silencer (I guess) none of them heard me shoot...then the bolt action magazine meant I could get 3 shots off quick enough to bag 'em all.

As for the uranium, "real" guns and all that stuff. Well, friends are just a call away ;)
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Huh? There's a law against this in the UK? I hope there isn't, I was looking for a laser to buy :(

UK >1mW is illegal to own. If you buy one don't get caught.
    edited January 2011

50495_73235509716_4495_n.jpg

No really...I ordered 5 off dealextreme (different colours and strengths), took them to my mates DIY shop to get the right batteries and had nothing asked. No Customs letters or anything.

Get one, but keep your mouth shut then, and don't go burning niggers or blinding airplane pilots.

Ok I take that back. Burn niggers. Burn 'em good. Their dark complexion insulates heat, and thus the laser, if put on one area of skin for up to a minute will cause discomfort/pain. Also you can cut hair with >200mw :hai:
  • edited January 2011

Do you know what the consequences of owning one are? I seriously thought that they were alright to own unless you go around being an idiot with it.
    edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Do you know what the consequences of owning one are? I seriously thought that they were alright to own unless you go around being an idiot with it.

They take it and fine you. If they deem that you are "using it to cause trouble" then they can do much more.

@doctor rocker
    They are in fact illegal there, if a cop catches you it'll be confiscated and you'll get a fine. Also, DX lasers are shit. If you buy a 200 milliwatt one there it's only 50 green, the rest is infrared.
    edited January 2011

If you want to play that game this is neither the the thread nor the forum for it.
    edited January 2011
    @doctor rocker
    They are in fact illegal there, if a cop catches you it'll be confiscated and you'll get a fine.

For what?

Teh lazors I never mentioned?
    edited January 2011
    If you want to play that game this is neither the the thread nor the forum for it.

Nor the website. /b/ is that-a-way ---->

Also, as crummy as DX can be, knowing people in the SFX business = fun with lasers, especially as the ones I know work on Sci-Fi films. The 5th Element was a set/workplace I got to visit as a kid.
    edited January 2011
    Much Like I can go and buy a .50cal rifle with nothing more than a background check.

Much like I can buy a taser.

Much Like I can buy a generation 3 night vision or thermal rifle scope.

Much Like I can go take a walk down a street and not have a million cameras watch me.

Much like I can own up to 11 lbs of uranium metal without any licenses.

America sucks but we are still the superior country to the UK who unless they do something will submit to Sharia law. The UK to an even bigger extent than America represents all this wrong with white Nations. Both country's have become mud infested shitholes.
    edited January 2011
    Word, DS. Word.
    edited January 2011
    Then again come to think of it the UK didn't elect a nigger as president so that hurts Americas standing bit time imo. The UK did elect that stupid bitch Margaret Thatcher though so I guess that evens it out.
    edited January 2011
    Then again come to think of it the UK didn't elect a nigger as president so that hurts Americas standing bit time imo. The UK did elect that stupid bitch Margaret Thatcher though so I guess that evens it out.

Stop being retarded. Margaret Thatcher would be in the top 5 of British Prime ministers for magnitude of social change caused by world factors.

She sits amongst those as Churchill, Disreali and Pitt the Younger in management of what can only be called brilliance.

1. Winston Churchill (Con)
    2. David Lloyd George (Lib)
    3. Clement Attlee (Lab)
    4. Herbert Asquith (Lib)
    5. Margaret Thatcher (Con)
    6. Harold Macmillan (Con)
    7. Marquess of Salisbury (Con)
    8. Stanley Baldwin (Con)
    9. Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman (Lib)
    10. Harold Wilson (Lab)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/575219.stm
    British Politics Group Poll IPSOS MORI

# Churchill (Con)
    # Attlee (Lab)
    # Lloyd George(Lib)
    # Thatcher (Con)
    # Macmillan (Con)
    # Asquith (Lib)
    # Wilson (Lab)
    # Salisbury (Con)
    # Heath (Con)
    # Baldwin (Con)
    BBC History Magazine list

Historian Francis Beckett ranked the 20th century Prime Ministers with points out of five in 2006, based on how well the leaders implemented their policies - not on the policies themselves. Margaret Thatcher and Clement Attlee shared the highest ranking.[4]

5: Margaret Thatcher
    5: Clement Attlee
    4: Edward Heath
    4: Winston Churchill
    4: Harold Macmillan
    4: Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman
    3: Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil, Lord Salisbury
    3: Herbert Henry Asquith
    3: David Lloyd George
    3: Stanley Baldwin
    3: James Harold Wilson
    3: Tony Blair
    2: James Callaghan
    2: Arthur James Balfour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5294024.stm
    Newsnight asked you to help decide the UK's greatest and worst post-war prime minister.

We received more than 27,000 votes and below are the results. Click on the name of each former prime minister to find out more about them.

1. Winston Churchill
    2. Clement Attlee
    3. Margaret Thatcher
    4. Harold Macmillan
    5. Harold Wilson
    6. Tony Blair
    7. Edward Heath
    8. John Major
    9. James Callaghan
    10. Alec Douglas-Home

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/7647383.stm
    1. Sir Winston Churchill, (1874-1965), was a British politician and statesman known for his leadership of the United Kingdom during the Second World War (WWII).
    2. Isambard Kingdom Brunel, (1806–1859), civil engineer, creator of Great Western Railway, and designer of numerous significant ships.
    3. Diana Spencer (1961–1997), first wife of Charles, Prince of Wales (1981–1996), and mother of Princes William and Harry of Wales
    4. Charles Darwin (1809–1882), naturalist, originator of the theory of evolution through natural selection and author of On the Origin of Species.
    5. William Shakespeare (1564–1616), English poet and playwright, thought of by many as the greatest of all writers.
    6. Sir Isaac Newton (1643–1727), physicist, originator of the laws of classical mechanics and gravity.
    7. Queen Elizabeth I of England (1533–1603), monarch (reigned 1558–1603)
    8. John Lennon (1940–1980), musician with The Beatles, philanthropist, peace activist, artist
    9. Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), naval commander
    10. Oliver Cromwell (1599–1658), Lord Protector
    11. Sir Ernest Shackleton (1874–1922), polar explorer
    12. Captain James Cook (1728–1779), English explorer
    13. Robert Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell (1857–1941), founder of Boy Scouts and Girl Guides
    14. Alfred the Great (849?–899), King of Wessex, (reigned 871–899)
    15. Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769–1852), British military commander, statesman and Prime Minister 1828–1830 and 1834
    16. Margaret Thatcher (*3) (born 1925), Prime Minister (1979–1990)
    17. Michael Crawford (born 1942), English actor and singer
    18. Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom (1819–1901), monarch (reigned 1837–1901)
    19. Sir Paul McCartney (1942), musician with The Beatles, philanthropist, activist
    20. Sir Alexander Fleming (1881–1955), Scottish biologist and pharmacologist, discovered penicillin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons

Shut the fuck up.

Feel free to talk about airguns tho.
    edited January 2011
    :facepalm: If you think Margaret Thatcher was a good leader in any way. She was nothing but Reagan's fuck toy. She launched an unjust war in the falklands. This cunt privatized the industry and decimated the economy ruining the lives of millions. She set up a poll tax. She was a bitch who belonged in the kitchen rather than running a country.

Her destruction of the trade unions was unacceptable as well. She was a capitalist globalist piece of shit. The fact you would even put her in the same league as Winston Churchhill who actually did do some good for the UK is laughable
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited January 2011
    I rock an SMK QB78D for a £100 you really can't knock it..
    I really plan to get a chrono some point in the future..
    I have been shooting H&N barracudas BUT having done some calculations I reason these may be putting me over the limit so I'll probably have to get some Superdomes..
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011

Most countries dont allow civilians to own then. The UK does.

Actually, in the US if you can legally buy a firearm you can legally buy a suppressor provided it is legal in your state. I think it is legal in 36 states.

Also, don't air pistols over 6ft/lbs need and FAC as well? Figured that might be good information to add to your original post.

Also, the HW77 is a nice piece :D
  • 5.56 SS1095.56 SS109 Regular
    edited January 2011
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    I rock an SMK QB78D for a £100 you really can't knock it..
    I really plan to get a chrono some point in the future..
    I have been shooting H&N barracudas BUT having done some calculations I reason these may be putting me over the limit so I'll probably have to get some Superdomes..

We have those here in the US and they are some of the best airguns for around $100.

Some people even hook paintball tanks and HPA tanks up to them and get thousands of shots per cylinder.
    edited January 2011
    5.56 SS109 wrote: »
    Actually, in the US if you can legally buy a firearm you can legally buy a suppressor provided it is legal in your state. I think it is legal in 36 states.

Also, don't air pistols over 6ft/lbs need and FAC as well? Figured that might be good information to add to you original post.

Also, the HW77 is a nice piece :D

Yeah, airpistols over 6 need FAC, cheers. Historically, people never really bothered with them - they would have to get a cert to get one, so they would just get a cartridge pistol instead. When they got banned, not a lot of people crossed over.

Part of the big mindset that 'no real community can exisits if it has weapons in it' shite that is triped around here by people that would question a mans right to have a screwdriver or change a plug with it.

Fuckwits they are called.

The HW77 is indeed nice. Friends allways complain it is heavey - for me it is the perfect weight for all positions for me.

To strip it you ideally need a workshop but if you have a bit of power you can get the breech block on and off to change seals and shit.
    edited January 2011
    5.56 SS109 wrote: »
    We have those here in the US and they are some of the best airguns for around $100.

Some people even hook paintball tanks and HPA tanks up to them and get thousands of shots per cylinder.

Indeed the fact that they are rather good for tinkering was another one of the factors that attracted me.

My only criticism is that the bolt is a little a stiff but then with use it will get smother.

And for £100/$100 you really cannot argue with the value for money..

And as an aside I am just ordering this: http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/jsr3940-jsr--leapers-3-9x40-mil-dot-riflescope-with-flip-up-covers.html
    edited January 2011
    24wrkti.jpg

Mine.

Weihrauch HW77, .22, has a 3-9 x 50 A0E Bushnell Trophy scope and a Traceer Atom lamp - that is the battery in a holder on the stock.

Bought it through a gunshop that bought a bankrupt gunshop - this one had been tuned and balanced for field target shooting. Got it for half of what it was worth, never used.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited January 2011
    I will never understand the airsoft/airgun thing. I had one when I was like 8. The old pump type. But no way in hell would I be paying 700 dollars for one, when you can buy an AR15 for that.

Well, maybe aside from the UK. You guys get boned on your gun laws. Some of the laws in your country make my jaw drop. I did get pretty good and blitzed on a layover there once though.
    edited January 2011
    The thing is, if you have a springer and a pellet mold (most are shitty btw) and half a can of oil, you are good to go for 10 years before things need replaced.

No trips to the gun shop for bullets or powder and from those I do know with cartridge guns, firing pins are a bit of an issue.

Give an air rifle a drop of oil every now and again and pretty much forget about anything breaking on it.

As I say tho, after 10 years seals and springs start to go.
    edited January 2011
    Quick question do you know of any decent pellet moulds? From what I have read post of them are shit. I did try and look into designing a mould for a Centrifugal casting machine as I know a few people that have them (the machines that is).

Some guns keep going mind you..
    My dad has BSA Meteor MKII from around 1969/70 and it's still going though to be honest it does need a full rebuild and tune up, the action is slacker than a 90 year old whore.
    edited January 2011
    You are best looking on Ebay - some times the odd one comes up, but it is the scissor type. You are going to need an air rifle bang on the legal limit too or a FAC one as home made pellets are heavy as shit and you would end up with far to much drop on them.

Their was a company in the UK selling them in the 1970's - they were called LEM (look for LEM pellet moulds, as I say, they come up on Ebay) - they produce a heavy pellet - like a pellet called a NATO bullet, but I have not seen those in the shops for a while now either.

I have heard the word that you can get pellet moulds in the US and Aus - maybe a member from one of those areas can help out.

With the LEM, it casted one pellet at a time - really fucking boring making them. For instance, when I make fishing weights I have a couple of moulds on the go at once as I preheat them so the lead does not cool before the cavity fills then cool them in a bucket of water - I normally make them in batches of 30 or so and it takes a while, so to get anything like a decent amount of pellets, you are going to be on for a while.

I had thought about making a mould myself as I have unlimeted access to a milling machine, but I dont have a bandsaw that would cut metal - the only idea I really have for a mould would mean it would be in four parts - I suppose I could start off with four flat pieces of brass or steel rather than cutting.

I dont think I would like centrafrugal / centripetal casting - the idea of molten lead spinning around does not fill me with joy.

You could try pouring some molten lead on some cured moddelling clay - something like FIMO and see if it burns it - if not, make your own mould from a shop bought pellet.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Weapons and Combat
  • edited April 2011
    If I may briefly speak on the subject of airguns: I think they're decent fun. Shooting things (especially when intoxicated) is fun, and the lack of gunpowder doesn't spoil that. I started with a Gamo, but now I've got a Diana 350 Magnum in .177. Probably should have gone for .22, but it kills small animals all the same, and is accurate to farther than you'd expect.
    I am sure your concern will sway our parliment to change laws.

I'm sure yours could :rolleyes: