Server Downtime Log

-SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
edited January 2011 in Help and Suggestions
I think we should have a thread where all server outages are reported, including the detailed reason(s) for the outage. My opinion is that we need to get a documented record going of exactly what is causing these outages... not just an "I dunno" and we continue on until the next one, but a full investigation into the outage and a resulting report to the thread.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    I have a forum,CMS thread already. But yeah a Server thread would be good. I will get details from Vineman and do some digging and give full report.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    Cool! Thanks, Dfg.
  • edited January 2011
    Would be a good idea to have a very detailed output, although I'd like to hope that the server doesn't go down again :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Agreed, seems a good thread :)
  • edited January 2011
    I can dig it, though I don't think we'll be having any more outages. Here's my writeup for last nights, covers everything I know about it.

Date/Time: Wed Jan 5 2011, 18:47:11 EST-21:35:05 EST.
    Estimated total downtime: ~3 hours
    Issue: DNS related as far as I can tell
    Summary: Last night for unknown reasons the server suddenly went offline. I got on the phone and had the sysadmin working on it about 8mins after I was notified. They were unable to find any reason for the outage, as there were no error messages or problems reported. Once the server was back up I noticed that all hosted websites were up except totse. It became apparent that it was a DNS issue related to IP allocation, so I popped it over to a new IP. This solved the problem, but resulted in 1+ hours of unrelated downtime as the propagation had to take effect.
  • edited January 2011
    I thought you had physical access to the server? Or are you renting a server, or something?
  • edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I thought you had physical access to the server? Or are you renting a server, or something?

It's not really possible to have a home server and support any decent traffic, residential internet connections are too slow. The server TOTSE is hosted on is located in a datacenter where it can have the necessary infrastructure.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    After some digging around it seems we're facing some PHP errors. I have error logging enabled on forums and CMS and thanks to that I found this problem. Because of this some major functions of Totse aren't working. Like image resizing etc.

The files we're modified so this means something is wrong with PHP. I suggest a recompile with Unicode support added along with the standard set. Don't forget the image feature!

Here is the log:
    [B][06-Jan-2011 09:04:14] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function query_write() on a non-object in /home/totse/public_html/bbs/includes/adminfunctions_options.php(490) : eval()'d code on line 11[/B]

EDIT: Removed the other bits, since they were from Jul lol
  • edited January 2011
    How about getting us full HTML/CSS validation too, just to put the icing on the cake? :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    How about getting us full HTML/CSS validation too, just to put the icing on the cake? :D

Easy grasshoppa. I am sick atm. So, I can't really push myself. Let me recover mentally and you will see changes in hours instead of days

Fuck I can't even type right.
  • edited January 2011
    Heh, no worries bro. Just throwing out suggestions, thought you might add them to your memory so that they could be discussed/implemented when you're ready.

Get well soon.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Heh, no worries bro. Just throwing out suggestions, thought you might add them to your memory so that they could be discussed/implemented when you're ready.

Get well soon.

Hurry post your suggestions in the Daddy of all to do list thread. It will be easier for me to remember it. :)