Totse

MandatorySuicideMandatorySuicide Semo-Regulars
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
For some reason it never occurred to me that I could just get this thread out of my history. Didn't even need the Lazarus thingy. Mom was right; I am an idiot.:facepalm:

Anyway, I posted it in the first place because I needed to get some things off my chest, and I knew I'd feel better whether or not anyone responded, politely or otherwise. I'm re-posting it for the same reason, 'cause it feels like that weight has come right back.

First off, I don't want any of you to take this the wrong way. I feel like I've explained myself well enough, but I have a bad habit of rambling and getting nowhere without realizing it, so I'm more than happy to clarify if necessary.

I'm definitely one of those people who moved from Totse to Zoklet in the hopes that it would be something of a "Totse 2.0", and I'd like nothing more than to see a community develop that tries to do things the Totse way (that is, the way Totse was before the infraction system showed up and drastically increased the amount of 'srs bsns' around the board), but this is not the answer for me. Totse was what it was, and no matter how good your intentions are here, this place will never—and by that I mean can never—be that. If it feels the same to you guys, I'm very happy for you, and even a bit envious, because to me nothing can ever be Totse except... Well, Totse. If Jeff decides to bring the site back tomorrow, I'll be there in the first wave of people heading over, but we all know that's not going to happen.

If this much effort had been put into an original community that looked up to those Totse ideals, I'd be here posting day after day with the rest of you, but the very fact that this place is trying to recreate Totse is what has turned me away to be honest. We all want Totse back, but in my opinion this the wrong way to go about it entirely. I would have preferred a new community that kept the spirit of Totse alive, because that's what really counts anyway, and I think that's what most of us wanted out of Zoklet when we first showed up.

I don't want to be the analogy guy here, but screw it.

A few years ago my grandfather died, and I was absolutely crushed. I had looked up to him for years, and I can honestly say he played a huge part in making me who I am today. I wish so much that I could talk to him again, even just once, even for a few short minutes. However, I wouldn't feel any better if someone went to the cemetery, dug up the dusty old bag o' bones, and rigged it with wires like some sort of marionette as if it would be the same. Instead I keep him with me by following the examples that he set, and he continues to make me a better person.

Totse is exactly like my dead grandfather in that way. It played a bigger role than a lot of my friends and family in making me who I am now, and I cherish those memories as much as anyone, but this isn't the way to keep the spirit alive IMO. If you do well, that's truly awesome, but I'll still feel like we could have done so much more if we had tried to build something new with the things we've learned over the years.

I dunno. Merge this with an existing thread if you want. I didn't feel like it really fit the mood of any of those that I saw, and I just wanted to throw in my two cents, because I've seen others who feel the same. I guess it doesn't belong in this forum to begin with since I'm not angry about anything, but I didn't want to add anymore srs bsns to SG or HB.

I really do wish you all the best of luck, and I hope this does for you what it can't do for some of us.

TL/DR: 2w3dvfc.jpg
Dfg wrote:
Thanks for you input and I know most us feel that way and this might be the reason they're taking a step back. We're trying to bring the spirit of Totse back, we lost our back there. We went to loops with bring some change that we can never be used too. We're mostly free minded spirits and honestly rules and infractions don't work on us.

This attempt is trying to find that zone we all were in, it might not as good as Totse but it can be different. We don't need to use a different name or a new banner to bring change. Also, since I have roamed different forums none of them are like Totse. Totse was rare and it's becoming super rare. You can't find a board which offer knowledge and lulz in a balanced form. Sure free speech is every where but no one cares about it. But here people care.

This site is a place where the community which was lost can regroup and tackle the challenges together. Don't be shortsighted. If we're going back to the roots it's only because we want to bring a change that Internet needs. It's full of information but none of them works for us.

In short, we're not bringing Totse from the grave. Consider this a Temple of Totse and the community as its worshippers. In here we worship the old Totse ways and try to bring a change that this world needs. We want to educate and learn something new from each other, share and be open about things.

I know this whole setup is a bit hard on you, but it's like having your grandfather image in your pocket. Consider this the same. It's not as good as Totse but it's honest about what it is. It's a place where Totsean regroup and find what was lost to them and show the world that there was once a site which ran for 20 years and brought change in many ways. Totse.info is a shrine of that site, it's a reminder that if truly intellectual beings unite they can bring a change which others can't.
HTS wrote:
Damn. Here was me hoping you'd mod HB.

Don't take this post the wrong way either.

I kind of understand how you feel, but at the same time... if this site isn't the answer, zoklet doesn't even register as a possible answer. And in the business of totse-esque sites, there really aren't that many choices. Zoklet, totse2, totse.info and... bombshock? This one seems like the best choice to come around so far.

Honestly, what does Zoklet have to offer that's so great? Keeping in the spirit of totse I mean. Yeah, it's less buggy, but it's worse in almost every other conceivable way. Really all Zoklet has is the members. What's even sadder is, the members are all still totseans. People on zoklet don't even know what to call themselves. Zokleteers? Zokletians? Nobody ever figured it out. And nobody really cared because we're still totse at heart. There's very little zoklet community.

Zok changed his entire site to look like totse and to attract the totse crowd, then completely ignored the totse crowd's desires. He turned his site into a totse clone, then started telling everyone "oh but this isn't totse, and if you don't like how we do it gtfo". The only reason anyone stuck around is because that's where the community was. We aren't/weren't there for Zok or Zoklet, we were there because that's where our friends went and it was almost totse. We just had to put up with some annoying nigger and we could have faux totse. And there was no alternative to just sticking around and dealing with all the stupid bullshit except totse2.

So now there's an alternative, and I have to wonder... why stay? I mean I liked zoklet a lot, and still kinda do, but... only because the people are still there. If you all came here, I'd probably never see zoklet again and be happier for it.

PS: Sorry for calling you a nigger, zok. If you read this. Which you wont.
I appreciate the kind thoughts, HTS.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying Zoklet is perfect, and I'm not even trying to compare it to this board. Like I said, when I first showed up at Zoklet I was hoping for what I described earlier, but I see now that it's not necessarily going in that direction. I'm not sure where it is going though, so I'm sticking around to do my part and see if the site is ultimately going to be the sort of place where I want to be. I think I understand what they're beginning to aim for, and I'm not the kind of guy to think "my way is right, end of story", so if I see that it's not the place for me, I'll just step down and be on my way.

I really don't know yet, frankly. Zoklet certainly has its fair share of problems from where I'm sitting (as someone who does want the Totse atmosphere that I experienced), but I'm hoping for the best. When I first saw this board I really wanted to be able to get into it. I genuinely tried to like it. Along with the other stuff I said, I suppose I'm just too worried about tainting all of those great memories I have. Right now I'm content with Totse as a fond memory and a great example for future message boards. Something about recreating it like this just doesn't suit me. It's nothing against any of you, it just feels odd. :/

Take all of that however you will. Once again, I hope things work out well. :)

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Damn, you saved me there.

Mandy I would suggest you avoid Zoklet for a while. Things will get nasty.
  • MandatorySuicideMandatorySuicide Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Damn, you saved me there.

Mandy I would suggest you avoid Zoklet for a while. Things will get nasty.

Not that I don't appreciate you looking out for me, but I've never gone so far as to stay away from Totse or Zoklet to avoid the drama. If anyone forces me into the middle of things, so be it, but I'm just in the community to be myself and have a good time. Anything else is just shit happening, as it often does.

I understand that sometimes things get personal, but I still think you'd be better off just tending to this forum and doing things right. Regardless of whether or not Zoklet deserves your wrath, forum wars invariably make all boards involved look pretty bad.

*shrug*

That's my take on it, anyway.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Not that I don't appreciate you looking out for me, but I've never gone so far as to stay away from Totse or Zoklet to avoid the drama. If anyone forces me into the middle of things, so be it, but I'm just in the community to be myself and have a good time. Anything else is just shit happening, as it often does.

I understand that sometimes things get personal, but I still think you'd be better off just tending to this forum and doing things right. Regardless of whether or not Zoklet deserves your wrath, forum wars invariably make all boards involved look pretty bad.

*shrug*

That's my take on it, anyway.

Don't worry I am not going to taint my hardword just to get even with someone. It's just that Zoklet will be a bit depressing for a while. I have no plans to be on Zoklet anyway. I am just having some fun with Drama Trauma.

I already have my plate full with things to finish.
  • MandatorySuicideMandatorySuicide Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Don't worry I am not going to taint my hardword just to get even with someone. It's just that Zoklet will be a bit depressing for a while. I have no plans to be on Zoklet anyway. I am just having some fun with Drama Trauma.

I already have my plate full with things to finish.

That's good to hear. Not that you won't be around, but that you're not out there intentionally fueling the fire. A lot of people have left the community for a lot of reasons, and among them I've seen many go because things have gotten so serious and dramatic. Forum politics are a nasty business, and if I ever give up on the community, I'm 100% sure that will be the reason.

Anyway, I hope this is just some initial uneasiness on my part. I'm not a prideful person (which is simultaneously one of my biggest strengths and one of my biggest weaknesses), so if my feelings on Totse-resurrection change, I'm sure you guys will be the first to know. Not that you need me or anything. I was never a big contributor anyway.

It seems more likely that I'm just gonna end up moving on with my life, though.