New Cocaine Vaccine Could Help Addicts

duuudeduuude Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
The first ever vaccine for drug addiction has just been created. By combining a cocaine-like molecule with part of the common cold virus, you get a vaccine that turns the immune system against cocaine, keeping it away from the brain.

So far, the vaccine has only been tested on mice, but the results are extraordinary. Mice given the vaccine no longer exhibited any of the hyperactive signs of a cocaine high when they were next given the drug.

http://io9.com/5725864/cocaine-vaccine-could-make-drug-addiction-a-distant-memory

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Science :thumbsup: But what about withdrawal? Sure, you can eliminate the effects of cocaine, but if withdrawal is still present and intense, that'd be the same as trying to quit cold turkey.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    Noooooo! This is not a good thing. :mad:
  • edited January 2011
    The work of the Sith, mixing a dangerous substance with a living part of the force is.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited January 2011
    You know once they develop these, they will probably become compulsory.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    This is hardly the 'first ever drug for addicts'. Its no different to disulfiram for alcoholics.

When I was doing my A levels (pre uni qualification), Monday morning was allways Chemistry practical. Everyone used to come in to class fucking ruined and still pissed from the night before.

The teacher got his own back by getting us to make some of that shit or something very similar. The fumes from it made you ill. The only student not spewing his ring or crying in the corner was some muslim kid who did not drink.

We still came in pissed the next week, we were hardly going to make the same thing twice.
    edited January 2011
    ^The thing about this one is that it prevents the drug from ever working on your system, but disulfiram produces an aversion while the alcohol still has an effect on you.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    ^The thing about this one is that it prevents the drug from ever working on your system, but disulfiram produces an aversion while the alcohol still has an effect on you.

That mutherfucker told us it acted by blocking alcohols action on the brain. He was probably pissed off at us for allways coming in pissed. Nice trick for revenge.
    edited January 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    That mutherfucker told us it acted by blocking alcohols action on the brain. He was probably pissed off at us for allways coming in pissed. Nice trick for revenge.

Yeh he lied, at least that's my understanding of how it works. Disulfiram prevents the breakdown of the toxic alcohol, ethanol in this case, into harmless acetic acid, so the toxicity that remains makes you sick and vomit. However, it's the ethanol that affects the GABA receptors in the central nervous system directly, so the breakdown of alcohol is irrelevant for its action.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    You know once they develop these, they will probably become compulsory.

Yeah, and they might make it mandatory...
  • edited January 2011
    ^^^^
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    You don't need me in this thread, that post makes a joke of itself.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited January 2011
    ^^^^
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    You don't need me in this thread, that post makes a joke of itself.

Christ FATTY, learn2sarcasm
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    No cocaine high and the risk of getting a cold? Fuck that shit

Yes I'm playing the ignorance card on purpose lol
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited January 2011
    they gave mice cocaine? :mad: what a waste.