Reading religious books in the bathroom.

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
For those of you that have a religion do you think its wrong to read the bible the koran or whatever book you follow in the bathroom? And yes this is a serious question.

Comments

• CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    God invented pooping, so I don't see any problem.
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited July 2010
    Caesar wrote: »
    God invented pooping, so I don't see any problem.

And it's man that has created the stigma associated with the act. There is nothing more satisfying than having a good hearty shit, and I see no problem with adding to the fun with some quality reading material--religious or otherwise.

Good call, Caesar.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010
    It doesn't matter. Hell, it don't even matter if you read them or not.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    It's forbidden. Holy books are HOLY for a reason. Give them respect if you believe in them.I read fiction novels when pooping but that was long ago.

But I wouldn't dare touch a religious book. Regardless of the religion.
  • My Mom Is DeadMy Mom Is Dead Regular
    edited July 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    It's forbidden. Holy books are HOLY for a reason. Give them respect if you believe in them.I read fiction novels when pooping but that was long ago.

Understandable for a man who's culture tells you it's offensive to do anything with your left (shit-wiping) hand.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010

Thats kinda what I thought. It cant be honoring god if your reading his words while shitting.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't have "religious" books per se, but no, I wouldn't take them to the shitter with me.
  • ashenbloodashenblood Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I can't think of a reason not to, but... WHY?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited July 2010
    ashenblood wrote: »
    I can't think of a reason not to, but... WHY?

I like to contemplate on the shitter. Alot of my ideas come to me while cleansing myself of waste.
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited July 2010
    The bathroom is my office I get a lot of shit done while shitting (no pun intended) I set up deals, call business contacts, Hop on my netbook to check gambling wins. Its the only place in the house where i am not Disturbed. Oh yeah and I write my weekly sermons there too :D
  • woodwood Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah man, free reign. Take what you will and leave the rest behind. Are you really going to let someone else going to tell you what's right and wrong? If the priest says "no" are you going to listen? I'm sure as fuck going to keep reading the Torah while squeezing out a nard. If it's a difficult passage it makes it ultra-relevant.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    wood wrote: »
    I'm sure as fuck going to keep reading the Torah while squeezing out a nard.

oh god i lol'd.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010

I agree; Even though I personally don't believe in God, it has to do with respect.
  • thatsMYdogthatsMYdog Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think it's disrespectful at all unless your tearing pages out to wipe your ass (even then I think it'd have to be specifically out of spite, not just because you ran out of tp). We have to shit, can't really help that. Plus it's your book, read it when you want. I think a god would be above something that small.
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited July 2010
    I think taking the Qu-ran into the bathroom would be seen as extremely disrespectful and not done.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    Only when I'm out of toilet paper.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010
    Disrespectful to whom?
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    Obbe wrote: »
    Disrespectful to whom?

Artifact Junkies!

The act of taking a dump is far more religious than anything written by a bunch of dead meglomaniacs.
    edited July 2010
    Disrespectful to whom?

To the followers of the religion.

Its a basic form of respect. You don't have to completely dehumanize someone and then treat them as if they're trash. :(
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    To the followers of the religion.

Its a basic form of respect. You don't have to completely dehumanize someone and then treat them as if they're trash. :(

Let's say I am a follower of whatever religious book we are talking about - why should I think reading while pooping is offensive?

And why should anyone else?

I mean, I like reading the book, and I need to poop. Why not kill two birds with one stone?

Did God tell me not to do it? No. Did God say it was disrespectful? No.

The only people who it would offend are the ones who have arbitrarily decided that it is an offensive thing to do. And that doesn't really matter, at all.

How is reading a book in the bathroom, "completely dehumanizing" anyone at all? How is it "treating them as if they're trash"? Maybe they think I'm doing something wrong, but wrong doing is not my intention at all, and more importantly, what business is it of theirs what I do in my own bathroom, anyway? Who are they to say that they understand my religion better than I do?
    edited July 2010
    Let's say I am a follower of whatever religious book we are talking about - why should I think reading while pooping is offensive?

And why should anyone else?

I mean, I like reading the book, and I need to poop. Why not kill two birds with one stone?

Did God tell me not to do it? No. Did God say it was disrespectful? No.

The only people who it would offend are the ones who have arbitrarily decided that it is an offensive thing to do. And that doesn't really matter, at all.

How is reading a book in the bathroom, "completely dehumanizing" anyone at all? How is it "treating them as if they're trash"? Maybe they think I'm doing something wrong, but wrong doing is not my intention at all, and more importantly, what business is it of theirs what I do in my own bathroom, anyway? Who are they to say that they understand my religion better than I do?

If you're simply wanting to appreciate the book and read it whilst using the bathroom there wouldn't be a problem. However the problem is when someone decides to bring it to the bathroom due to the fact that they're meaning to be offensive to the idea behind the book by using the bathroom whilst reading it.

The trash statement only goes along if you were attempting to be offensive like I said above.
  • ObbeObbe Regular
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    If you're simply wanting to appreciate the book and read it whilst using the bathroom there wouldn't be a problem.

Exactly. It's not an offensive or disrespectful thing to do to anyone, unless someone decides that's what it represents.

Nobody else in my religion should come and yell at me about how disrespectful I am being, when I am not being disrespectful at all - who are they to tell me what's what? And they shouldn't care about what I do in my own bathroom anyway.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not religious, but I don't see why it would be a problem. If you're reading it you're reading it. The problem is why are you all spending so long in the bathroom? Eat more fiber.