Frank Zappa

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I've got to admit, I've never heard of Frank Zappa until very recently. Everything you read about him always invokes the word "genius". I can't really find his appeal.

what the fuck was he trying to do? Is it just loud messy noise or is there something wrong with me?

Discuss.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I've always thought he was a genius. He's got some awesome music out, a lot of which is just so crazy yet perfect that it actually works really well. Take this for example;

It's probably quite weird to many people, but you've got to appreciate his style. I think it's great :D
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited February 2011
    Only faggots dont like Frank Zappa
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    Zappa's genius is often overlooked by more casual listeners. His ability to compose in difficult keys that most people would never dream of delving into was one of his hallmarks. Couple this with being IMO the most under-rated guitarists of all time (right up there with Jeff Beck) and you can begin to get an understanding of what a gifted individual he was. But like I said, most casual listeners can't get past his often zany and comedic lyrical content to truly appreciate his musical genius.

To begin to get an idea all the uninitiated need do is research some of the world famous artists who have collaborated on his many works from 1966 up until his death. Greats like Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Von, Ray Charles, Peter Wolf, and Bob Dylan (just to name a scant few) have sat in the studio with Zappa over the years. How many artists can you name that have had headliner after headliner sit in a studio session to work on an album that has another persons name on the front? Zappa is one of the rare few that can make such a claim.
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    I've always thought he was a genius. He's got some awesome music out, a lot of which is just so crazy yet perfect that it actually works really well. Take this for example;

It's probably quite weird to many people, but you've got to appreciate his style. I think it's great :D

^Apostrophe, side one, track one. Which leads into the second track, NaNook Rubs It. My husky is named after that track.

My favororite track from that album is the final track on side one, Cosmic Debris.

Steve Vai On His Audition for Frank Zappa's Band

• edited February 2011
    Got the Vinyl bro ^ :D
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Got the Vinyl bro ^ :D

Sweet, I lost my vinyl copy years ago, along with the 8 track. :(
  • IndulgenceIndulgence Regular
    edited February 2011
    Now what kind of a guru are you anyway?
    edited February 2011
    Indulgence wrote: »
    Now what kind of a guru are you anyway?

Any kind but "Da"... He don't know he could make more money as a butcher...