How to stop a paint can from rattling?

edited April 2011 in Man Cave
When you're out on a Night Op, the last thing you want is to be heard. Spray cans with paint inside often contain a ball of some kind to thin out the paint when you shake it up. However, when walking/climbing this can start to rattle around and make quite a racket. Is there any way of silencing the noise of a rattling paint can, possibly by wrapping it up or something?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I never thought about sticking a magnet to the side of the can... What are the chances that the ball will be made of glass though? Surely a metal ball is more common due to it being cheaper and more robust? Anyway, I'll give it a shot and see if it makes a difference.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    The bigger cans have the glass ball in them, if I remember correctly. I don't know why they would use glass.

To stop kiddies from using them for graff? :hai:
  • The NegotiatorThe Negotiator Regular
    edited April 2011
    I think some of the balls are made from a ceramic material too. Magent will work well for smaller cans though.
  • Turd_SmasherTurd_Smasher Regular
    edited April 2011
    The thing inside is a semi-transparent blue glass marble. You can probably put the can in a pvc pipe and cap it. Or just wrap a towel around it.
  • Sarahlov3lySarahlov3ly Regular
    edited April 2011
    If the ball is metal, you could use a magnet. But if it is glass, then your kinda SOL.

i like the magnet idea :thumbsup:
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought they stopped making cans with metal balls?

I asked a friend of mine and he said they use a marble. Either that or buy one of those "designer" cans w/o the balls. Bit pricey.

They also sell "can silencers." :facepalm: Just your shit ass magnet you can grab on Dealextreme.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited April 2011
    Put some putty / plastacine / blu-tac in the dimpled end of the can in an even layer at least 1/8" thick, or tape across the bottom of the dimple and squirt in some expanding foam.

The first on is re-usabe and so cheaper. Plus it saves cleaning dried out from from th e only knozzle that some times comes with the can. If you by your expanding foam from one of those big DIY wharehouse places, just pick up several knozzels and put them on the counter with the foam.

If the person on the counter questions you (which they probably will not) then quesion their knowledge of using such product, and tell them it would be impossible to use the product under normal circumstances using one knozzle. As they are just counter staff, they will have probably been trained so they know the difference between consumables and materials, but equate this to taking 15 napkins at KFC rather than 4 or 5.

Congrats, they have just sanctioned you having them.

Fun to get one over, but you are more likely to have putty / plastacine / blue tac at hand.

It does not remove the noise, but it removes a lot of the volume and the most distinctive frequencies.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited April 2011
    The thing inside is a semi-transparent blue glass marble. You can probably put the can in a pvc pipe and cap it. Or just wrap a towel around it.

exactly what I was thinking. either that or "acquire" cans that don't have the ball.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited April 2011
    Have you ever cracked a can open? Guess what's inside:

toothpaste_marble_by_SweetyNikita.jpg

A toy marble.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    Have you ever cracked a can open? Guess what's inside:

toothpaste_marble_by_SweetyNikita.jpg

A toy marble.
    :eek: just like 3 posts in this thread said :facepalm:

dumbass