Police and File Sharing

Is it just me, or have the police given up caring about file sharing? It's been ages since hearing about anyone getting caught or prosecuted for torrenting or file sharing through P2P software. What's up with that?

Are they still cracking down on it or have they finally realized that it's not worth doing?

Comments

• NickNick Locked
    edited May 2011
    I think that they just don't give a damn about torrenting . Never did actually, only when they have a valid reason they act , where is when someone complains about his work that is shared for free.:) Either way, it's pointless to chase down the one's that commit file sharing, because only few do it anyway. From the almost 7 billion people on this Planet , only 100 or 200 the most are the one's that download through piratebay for example, no big deal, they have taken that under consideration and know that 1 out of 10 will have their work for free.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2011
    LMAO @ Nick saying only 200 people use Piratebay
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or have the police given up caring about file sharing?

I assume you are in the UK. The police never really cared anyway - the only ones that did were the copyright lawyers who stood to make some cash from it.

Of the top of my head, I could not give you one single successful prosectution in the UK for sharing files online. I could give you several where the case has collapsed however.

In English criminal law, to gain a conviction, it must be beyond all reasonable doubt. Proving an individual has illegally downloaded something is next to impossible.

Last years Digital Economy Act is also in the process of having its arse torn out by judges.

It has been seen that in the UK at least, lest not other parts of the world, it makes no sense at all to chase individuals who may (or may not) have downloaded copyrighted material illegally. Easier to take out a file sharing network, after all, would it be easier to destroy all cars in the UK or just put road blocks up so no one can use their car.

Governments have got bigger fish to fry online and little money to work with - file sharing is of little interest.
  • edited May 2011
    ^ That's interesting. I just seem to remember a couple of years back, reading in the newspaper that a few people had been busted for downloading some songs on a few different occasions - one of which involved a girl who'd only downloaded 2 songs and was getting fined a few thousand :facepalm:

I also remember my friend getting a letter demanding him to attend court after getting caught downloading an album torrent. He's a millionaire though and I think he paid up, although I can't remember what actually happened in the end.
    edited May 2011
    ^ That's interesting. I just seem to remember a couple of years back, reading in the newspaper that a few people had been busted for downloading some songs on a few different occasions - one of which involved a girl who'd only downloaded 2 songs and was getting fined a few thousand :facepalm:

I also remember my friend getting a letter demanding him to attend court after getting caught downloading an album torrent. He's a millionaire though and I think he paid up, although I can't remember what actually happened in the end.

They will have received letters from legal companies rather than a court summons. A few years ago, a couple of legal firms were investigating file sharers in the hope that they would pay up the token sum (it varied between a couple of hundred and a couple of thousand depending on the firm). The legal firm would then contact the owner of the copyright and pay them a token sum (<£100) and keep the rest.

Most, if not all of these firms have gone bust or ceased trading - I think they were LOLed out of court due to the inability of them to prove person = IP address.
  • edited May 2011
    Cops aren't really the ones out looking for torrent users, are they?

I mean, usually isn't it the copyright owner who files suit or something?
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    The most you will get in the UK is a letter sent by the ISP saying that you are a naughty boy, another 2 or 1 letters (I cant remember) and they cut your internet connection. However, I have not read of a single incident of this happening. :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    I don't think the Police cares about anything here :). Except for butt fucking victims.
  • edited May 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    I don't think the Police cares about anything here :). Except for butt fucking victims.

How far were you living from Osama?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    How far were you living from Osama?

150-250 Km
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited May 2011
    I just got a letter from mediacom for torrenting "Paul"
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited May 2011
    LMAO @ Nick saying only 200 people use Piratebay

This.
  • edited May 2011
    I just got a letter from mediacom for torrenting "Paul"

Really? What does it say?
  • edited May 2011

I got in trouble for downloading that Clint Eastwood movie where he's living in the chinese neighborhood.

They sent a letter (I forget most of it), but it specifically called me on downloading that one file. I don't think they threatened legal action, though. I'd probably remember that.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I have torrented relentlessly since around 2005 and live in the UK. Never had a single issue :hai: I even seed my own torrents.
    edited May 2011

Basically, you've been caught downloading and sharing "Paul" without proper consent, delete the file and don't do it again or we will terminate service.

Two things though, 1. I dl'ed it in fucking march and just got a letter
    2. I've downloaded Scream 4 and shared it when it came out, but I deleted it, hope they don't notice.
    Also they mentioned the possibility of that $250,000 if I keep doing it.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Two things though, 1. I dl'ed it in fucking march and just got a letter
    2. I've downloaded Scream 4 and shared it when it came out, but I deleted it, hope they don't notice.
    Also they mentioned the possibility of that $250,000 if I keep doing it.

Oof, Id stop mate, its not worth taking the risk. Its not that they catch you with it on the computer, it is the act of actually downloading it that incriminates you. I plan to keep doing it until the letter comes, then I'll stop.
    edited May 2011
    Oof, Id stop mate, its not worth taking the risk. Its not that they catch you with it on the computer, it is the act of actually downloading it that incriminates you. I plan to keep doing it until the letter comes, then I'll stop.

Yeah I stopped, its just funny cuz it was the first movie I actually torrented.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited May 2011
    private torrents + file hosting site = no one is ever going to catch you guaranteed
  • edited May 2011
    Warez + filehosting sites = even safer, right?
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited May 2011
    Warez + filehosting sites = even safer, right?

That is the theory I work off, yes I did indeed pussy out of using torrents :facepalm: I got scared and said..

I used to torrent loads everything but then I got worried I'd get caught so went to using file hosting which can be a bit fail but I prefer..
  • edited May 2011
    kfc v lot wrote: »
    That is the theory I work off, yes I did indeed pussy out of using torrents :facepalm: I got scared and said..

I used to torrent loads everything but then I got worried I'd get caught so went to using file hosting which can be a bit fail but I prefer..

Pretty much the same here. That said, filehosting sites have sold out to their users over the last few years. Rapidshare has literally turned to shit, making users pay for pretty much ANY service :facepalm:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    Ducklips got a letter from her ISP a few weeks ago after downloading "The Social Network" to stop torrenting movies.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited May 2011
    Pretty much the same here. That said, filehosting sites have sold out to their users over the last few years. Rapidshare has literally turned to shit, making users pay for pretty much ANY service :facepalm:

:facepalm:
    Go read RS' latest update. They're now enabling piss-poor fucks like you to download at max speeds with a download limit.
  • edited May 2011
    Box wrote: »
    :facepalm:
    Go read RS' latest update. They're now enabling piss-poor fucks like you to download at max speeds with a download limit.

That's pretty cool. I haven't used RS in a long time since they started limiting pretty much everything unless you bought an account. I turned to Megaupload who seemed much better, but RS looks promising again. Thanks for the heads up.
    edited May 2011

It is the act of sharing it that incriminates you as far as I was aware. When you share parts of torrents, your IP it attached to the information - I am sure such software exists so that it will help you stop this from happening, but as as is the nature of sharing programes, one computer must connect to another.

This is the only decent type of evidence that I have seen put forward yet by anyone prosecuting such a case.
  • edited May 2011
    Peerguardian might help, although I have no idea how good it is. Give it a shot, anyone who's bothered about being watched by potential government snoopers.
  • StephsBackStephsBack Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    I would think that law enforcement agencies have better things to do considering that over 100,000 people a year are being trafficked for forced labour and sexual servitude.

In Australia, I thought that it was a civil infraction, but I can see those stupid warnings saying something about criminal convictions. Imagine if they took 100 people to court and they were fined 250,000 each. They are going to cotton onto this eventually and find lawyers to help establish convictions. Eventually, movies will be released in order to snare people.

Maybe I'm paranoid and a little over the top- but that doesn't mean that 'they' aren't after you, us, me....