Can someone help me decrypt my files?

SystemicFailureSystemicFailure New Arrival
edited July 2011 in Tech & Games
I encrypted some finance documents about 6 months ago to an external HD. I encrypted them on my old computer which had the encryption keys to access it. I can no longer get to the files using through winrar.

I keep getting access denied or telling me I am not the admin when I am. Can anybody recommend a brute force program or maybe even decrypt it themselves?

I was trying to access them to post on totse in the "money money money" forum.

I did not use anything complex just Microsoft EFS selection when you right click on a folder. (no bitlocker either)

Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    I've never had any experience with brute forcing anything encrypted by Windows, but you could try something like Hydra?
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited May 2011
    Nope.

Microsoft EFS uses pretty darn strong encryption. The only way to decrypt those files is trough the private key stored on the user account on your old computer. If you had a lot of time and a lot of computing power (in the sense of years and a supercomputer) you could brute force the private key, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.
  • edited May 2011
    Wow. That sucks dude, sorry for your loss. Oh well, at least this will teach ya in the future! ;)
  • NIKOLASNIKOLAS New Arrival
    edited May 2011
    I encrypted some finance documents about 6 months ago to an external HD. I encrypted them on my old computer which had the encryption keys to access it. I can no longer get to the files using through winrar.

I keep getting access denied or telling me I am not the admin when I am. Can anybody recommend a brute force program or maybe even decrypt it themselves?

I was trying to access them to post on totse in the "money money money" forum.

I did not use anything complex just Microsoft EFS selection when you right click on a folder. (no bitlocker either)

Any help would be great thanks.

It can be done very easily actually, first of all you log in to your computer as Admin , practically you enable the admin account which is hidden by default , then you use the following program and it will decrypt probably on the fly everything.

http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4470492/Advanced_EFS_Data_Recovery_Pro_v4.02.rar

ps

if you don't know how to enable the hidden admin account just say so.

Note to Fedexessssss

Go fcuck yselfs its just a link.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited May 2011
    NIKOLAS wrote: »
    It can be done very easily actually, first of all you log in to your computer as Admin , practically you enable the admin account which is hidden by default , then you use the following program and it will decrypt probably on the fly everything.

http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4470492/Advanced_EFS_Data_Recovery_Pro_v4.02.rar

ps

if you don't know how to enable the hidden admin account just say so.

Note to Fedexessssss

Go fcuck yselfs its just a link.

If that program works without needing a backup certificate, EFS has a major loophole / backdoor built in. The only way to decrypt AES encrypted files is with the correct private key. Thus, if that works, either the private keys are stored somewhere on each partition where EFS is used - unencrypted or decryptable by any windows admin account - or the files arn't encrypted with AES - which they, according to Microsoft, are.

It's possible the program works, but it would be ridiculous if it did, 'cause that would mean EFS is basically worthless.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    I think it can be done if you just extract the certs. I tried using EFS but I never encrypt things mainly because I face tons of rolling blackouts and there is a MAJOR chance that I will lose my encrption keys. Plus I tend to forget my passwords.
  • PsyCl0nePsyCl0ne Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    For future reference might I suggest TrueCrypt?

~PsyCl0ne
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited May 2011
    OP, if you do manage to decrypt your files don't forget to post results. :)
    Sounds like a lot of work though.

From your post it also sounds like you encrypted each file individually, next time you may want to use TrueCrypt (as PsyCl0ne said) and encrypt everything in a folder so you only have one key.
  • PsyCl0nePsyCl0ne Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    duuude wrote: »
    OP, if you do manage to decrypt your files don't forget to post results. :)
    Sounds like a lot of work though.

From your post it also sounds like you encrypted each file individually, next time you may want to use TrueCrypt (as PsyCl0ne said) and encrypt everything in a folder so you only have one key.

QFT XP, um I was going to add that TrueCrypt is also cross platform so it doesn't matter what machine you move onto next the files will still be available and also with encryption stacking up to 3 different types /gg to anyone that tries to decrypt that... but ffs please do yourself a favor if your key length is long (eg 16+ keys) have a copy of it in a safety deposit box or one part in a safe and the other in another safe...

~PsyCl0ne
  • famthegeekfamthegeek New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    Give me a try on the files, and i can see what could be done.