Police shoot 15yo & his 16yo accomplice gets charged for his murder

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Interesting law. :confused:

Brandon Ross Charged With Murder After Police Fatally Shoot 15-Year-Old Companion

A 16-year-old boy has been charged with murder after a Chicago police officer fatally shot his 15-year-old friend Wednesday on the South Side.
Brandon Ross and his friend Tatioun Williams allegedly robbed a man at gunpoint in the 7000 block of South Cregier Avenue Wednesday evening, and were confronted by police officers a short time later, the Chicago Tribune reports.
When the officers told the teens to stop, Williams, who was holding the gun, allegedly turned in the officer's direction, Fox Chicago reports. Fearing for her life, the officer shot the 15-year-old, killing him.
"They could have taken him to jail, they could have done anything but taken his life," Williams' mother told the Tribune Thursday.
Under state law, police can charge someone with murder when an accomplice is killed during the commission of a crime. Even though Ross didn't pull the trigger, he was charged as an adult with murder and armed robbery. He was ordered held on $900,000 bail Friday.
The teens allegedly took a wallet and iPod from a 27-year-old man before the shooting.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/27/brandon-ross-charged-with_n_868289.html

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    So shouldn't the cop be held responsible :confused:
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2011
    You'd think so....:confused:
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    Nah, not really, its fairly common the world over to have a similar law. Back in the day in the UK, a guy shot a cop. He was to young to get the death penalty but his mate who his was with got the rope.

If you are in collusion with another whilst commiting crime, you can be charged with anything they do and vice versa, up until such point in time that courts recognise gangs as LLP's...

Which will never happen.
    edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Nah, not really, its fairly common the world over to have a similar law. Back in the day in the UK, a guy shot a cop. He was to young to get the death penalty but his mate who his was with got the rope.

If you are in collusion with another whilst commiting crime, you can be charged with anything they do and vice versa, up until such point in time that courts recognise gangs as LLP's...

Which will never happen.

Huh? But the cop shot and killed the kid and the kids accomplice got charged for his mates death.
    Nobody else was killed, unless I'm missing something of course. :(
  • doozeydoozey Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    the kid shouldnt get charged for murder only robbery i recon, and the cop didnt do anything wrong, if i was in his situation and some prick pointed a gun at me id light him up aswell
  • LysdexicLysdexic Regular
    edited May 2011
    I think it should depend on the kids actions at the time.
    If he made no attempt to stop his friend pointing a gun at the police then in my eyes he should go down.
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it not about any deaths occurring during comitting a felony is considered a murder?

And the person(s) commiting the felony being the one responsible.

Kind off like how getaway drivers can get charged with murder when someone gets shot during a bank robbery, even if they are a block away when it happens.
    They knew the felony would be comitted and are therefore responsible for any harm to others during the robbery.

Thats how i have understood it atleast, but im far from an expert in US law so...
    edited May 2011
    Is it not about any deaths occurring during comitting a felony is considered a murder?

And the person(s) commiting the felony being the one responsible.

Kind off like how getaway drivers can get charged with murder when someone gets shot during a bank robbery, even if they are a block away when it happens.
    They knew the felony would be comitted and are therefore responsible for any harm to others during the robbery.

Thats how i have understood it atleast, but im far from an expert in US law so...

Thats exactly it. If the 16 year old had not been with the 15 YO commiting crime, it can be assumed the 15YO would not have got into the situation that resulted in him being dead.

It could also be put that, depending on local ages of responsability, that the 16YO owed aduty of care to the 15YO and due to his criminal negligence - commiting a crime involving a firearm and letting the younger party have the weapon.

It could spin out so many ways.

The bottom line is if they had not decided to go robbing people at gun point, one of them would not be dead and the other would not be charged with murder. What did he think would happen if he pointed a gun at an armed police officer?
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    i hold other people accountable for my actions :thumbsdown:
    edited May 2011
    Pigs chase dumbasses
    Dumbass one lifts gun
    Pig one fatally shoots dumbass one
    Dumbass 2 is like 'WTF?'
    Pig 2 is like 'lolololol'
    Judge sentences dumbass 2 for more or less pulling the trigger.
    Dumbass 2 is like 'WTF?'
    Both pigs are like 'lolololol'
    The bold part is the part I don't really understand. :confused:
    i can understand the pig shooting him since her stupid, pathetic, meaningless life may have been at risk, but if her fingers on the trigger.....Well...you know the rest?
  • edited May 2011
    I've heard of this sort of situation, and this one in particular is bullshit.

Yes, the two of them committed a crime in robbing that guy.

But they were not in commission of a crime when Williams was shot. Williams was the only one allegedly in commission of a crime at that point in time, which would have been presumably to either attempt to kill a police officer or resist arrest.

Bullshit charge is bullshit, but the kid will go down for murder anyway because he's going to end up with a shitty public defender who will tell him to plead guilty.
    edited May 2011
    I've heard of this sort of situation, and this one in particular is bullshit.

Yes, the two of them committed a crime in robbing that guy.

But they were not in commission of a crime when Williams was shot. Williams was the only one allegedly in commission of a crime at that point in time, which would have been presumably to either attempt to kill a police officer or resist arrest.

Bullshit charge is bullshit, but the kid will go down for murder anyway because he's going to end up with a shitty public defender who will tell him to plead guilty.

I think you will find they were both resisting arrest.
  • edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    I think you will find they were both resisting arrest.

I didn't read that.

I read that they were confronted after the robbery, and that officers approached them from behind and told them to stop, at which time Williams stopped and turned around.

If they both stopped, it means they were complying with the cops, and that they were no longer (Assuming they were being pursued in the first place, and not simply approached from behind whilst walking) committing that crime that second. If only one of them stopped, then only the one who did not stop would be in commission of that crime at the time the other was shot and killed.

Either way, I don't see the two of them committing a crime together at the time that Williams was killed.
  • SeitzySeitzy Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    the idea is that; since the accomplice helped commit a crime that got his friend killed, then he murdered him.

Honestly, I think it should be dismissed as the police officer killed the kid, and for the right reason. The kid should get charged for Robbery still, but not murder.
    edited May 2011
    Seitzy wrote: »
    the idea is that; since the accomplice helped commit a crime that got his friend killed, then he murdered him.

Honestly, I think it should be dismissed as the police officer killed the kid, and for the right reason. The kid should get charged for Robbery still, but not murder.
    qft! :thumbsup:
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited June 2011
    Same thing happened in Omaha about a year or so back.

Two kids tried robbing a walgreens with shotguns. Random dude in line pulled a .45, killed one and tackled the other who was trying to run. The surviving kid got charged with murder under the premise that he was directly involved with a dangerous crime and thus directly involved with his accomplice's death. The random guy didn't get charged with anything (surprisingly, given that he had a felony and wasn't legally carrying concealed).
    edited June 2011
    Anybody who feels bad for the nigger is an idiot:facepalm: I nigger criminals like this would be shot more often. Of course since he's black the media will say he was a good guy just trying to get back on his feet or he fell into the wrong crowd and the bleeding hearts libtards will take his side.
    Nope! Don't feel sorry for the fucker at all. My query was on the fucked up law.