is this legit? (LSD)

TransienceTransience Acolyte
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
1278661965149.jpg

Also, a lysergamide just refers to any lyseric acid amides right?

Comments

• BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited July 2010
    Transience wrote: »
    1278661965149.jpg

Also, a lysergamide just refers to any lyseric acid amides right?

Looks like the typical phosphoryl chloride acylation of diethylamine route at a glance. Nothing seems wrong with it at all in fact....

And yes, a lysergic acid amide is just any amine acylated with lysergic acid.

But I really shouldn't support a simple "Is this legit?", some copy pasta, and one other question within the OP. This route is widely published. All you had to do is check TiHKAL, which (I hope you know.... Probably do...) is written by "Shulgin."

If you don't mind, research some more, and expand the OP. No fluff, actual content. Add more questions, more references, whatever, we'd be much happier to oblige if it was more than two simple yes or no questions. Obviously everyone starts somewhere, but both sides need to attempt to close the gap between noob and expert(trust me, I'm only somewhere in between, more towards noob).
  • TransienceTransience Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I know of Shulgin and his book tihkal, but I've never read it. I wasn't really researching how to make LSD though, I just stumbled across this picture (on 4chan :o)

anyways, in an effort to make this thread better:
    http://forums.mycotopia.net/holding-tank/62848-lsa-extraction-morning-glory-seeds.html
    ^ LSA extraction from morning glory seeds

To summarize, he grinds the seeds to a fine powder, soaks them in petroleum ether for 2 days, filters and gets rid of PE allowing seed mush to dry, then soaks mush in ethanol for 2 days, filters and keeps the solution, then goes back and repeats the ethanol soak 2 more times on the remaining seed mush. He then lets it sit for a while so the ethanol evaporates a bit.

How would you separate LSA from ethanol? I guess you would either boil one of them away, or precipitate one of them. The boiling point of ethanol is around 80C, but you wouldn't want to heat it, so maybe you could put it in a vacuum and let it sit for a while. I'm not sure what the boiling point of LSA is. Someone in that thread I linked mentioned that adding tartaric acid might form LSA-tartrate crystals, but if you did that would you have to break it back down once you filtered it from the ethanol, or would LSA-tartrate work just as well for this method?
  • BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited July 2010
    Transience wrote:
    anyways, in an effort to make this thread better:
    http://forums.mycotopia.net/holding-tank/62848-lsa-extraction-morning-glory-seeds.html
    ^ LSA extraction from morning glory seeds

To summarize, he grinds the seeds to a fine powder, soaks them in petroleum ether for 2 days, filters and gets rid of PE allowing seed mush to dry, then soaks mush in ethanol for 2 days, filters and keeps the solution, then goes back and repeats the ethanol soak 2 more times on the remaining seed mush. He then lets it sit for a while so the ethanol evaporates a bit.

How would you separate LSA from ethanol? I guess you would either boil one of them away, or precipitate one of them. The boiling point of ethanol is around 80C, but you wouldn't want to heat it, so maybe you could put it in a vacuum and let it sit for a while. I'm not sure what the boiling point of LSA is. Someone in that thread I linked mentioned that adding tartaric acid might form LSA-tartrate crystals, but if you did that would you have to break it back down once you filtered it from the ethanol, or would LSA-tartrate work just as well for this method?

You would definitely separate LSA from the ethanol by evaporation under these circumstances, whether simply by placing in an evaporating dish in a ventilated area, or under reduced pressure. Boiling is not recommended, LSA definitely has a lower decomposition temperature than boiling temperature at atmospheric pressure.

Using the tartrate salt would have no significant effect on an acidic hydrolysis, but a slight increase in base might be necessary in alkaline hydrolysis.

As for precipitation of the salt, I doubt it would be practical, as it is quite soluble in short chain primary alcohols like ethanol. Crashing it out with ether is a popular option, though.
    Transience wrote: »
    Yeah I know of Shulgin and his book tihkal, but I've never read it. I wasn't really researching how to make LSD though, I just stumbled across this picture (on 4chan :o)

Well, then perhaps you would be interested in this:
    http://http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/tihkal/tihkal.shtml#index
    http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal.shtml

But I feel both synthesis and purification of lysergic acid derivatives and general acylations warrant their own thread, and this isn't quite a proper start in my opinion. I think that would be the only productive direction though, and therefore, this thread has adequately served it's purpose, answered your specific questions, and need not continue. I would consider this an opportunity for anyone to make a new thread pertaining to these topics, as modifying this thread would be impractical. Because of this, I would like to lock it.

But I will refrain from doing so until you state you have no further questions, and would not like another chance to modify the thread.

General acylation of amines, a LSD/LSA/lysergic acid derivative thread or even a peptide synthesis thread would definitely be quite a valuable contribution. Anyone?
  • TransienceTransience Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    lul, yeah go ahead and lock it if you want. thanks for the links.
This discussion has been closed.