Instapaper accuses FBI of stealing data in raid

BoxBox Regular
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
The FBI said Wednesday that the raid was intended to crack down on an international “scareware” ring. Scareware is malicious software that poses as antivirus or security software.

DigitalOne, a Switzerland-based company that has a data center in Reston, Va., told the New York Times that the raid was targeting one of its customers but that the agency probably took more servers than it was targeting.

Marco Arment, Instapaper founder, said in a blog post that he believes his data were on one of the servers seized by the FBI.

“I’m assuming this because it became unreachable and stopped sending updates to my internal monitoring system at approximately the time that the FBI raided the datacenter, and has not come online again since then,” he wrote.

Arment said that no user data had been lost and the site suffered no downtime. But the servers he believes were taken do contain e-mail addresses and information on user bookmarks. The servers also had, “salted SHA-1 hashes of passwords,” which he believes should be relatively safe.

The FBI did not immediately comment on the accusations.

This really pisses me off. Feds think they're the shit and are randomly seizing servers without warrants. The founder of Instapaper wrote on his blog that he was not notified and that the company from which he leased the server, is offline and not returning calls. Fucking lulzsec is causing a lot of damage. Now the FBI has a good % of the entire Instapaper databases' emails!!!

:mad:

via, http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/faster-forward/post/instapaper-accuses-fbi-of-stealing-data-in-raid/2011/06/23/AGeZvrhH_blog.html

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited June 2011
    And that's why nobody wants to host their servers in the U.S. anymore. Way to kill the fucking hosting, server, and datacenter market in the U.S. FBI and the rest of you douchebag alphabet agencies.
  • ChupaloChupalo Regular
    edited June 2011
    When are people going to start using encryption??? What about backups?

Seems really fishy... All of these raids in the name of "cybersecurity". Legislation is on the way. Get ready for shitty Internet.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Chupalo wrote: »
    When are people going to start using encryption??? What about backups?

Seems really fishy... All of these raids in the name of "cybersecurity". Legislation is on the way. Get ready for shitty Internet.

True dat.
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited June 2011
    It was the same when the police raided the pirate bay servers in Sweden, they carried away everything hosted at the PRQ (ISP that hosted the site) datacenter and from what i understand some of it still havent been returned.

This includes servers for alot of sites unrelated to the pirate bay, including a russian news agency (wtf??)
    They even took the switches and routers lol.