Metal thieves target catalytic converters across Northamptonshire

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This is getting ridiculous. The government need to introduce some sort of ID check for anyone selling scrap metal for recycling.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/crime/metal_thieves_target_catalytic_converters_across_northamptonshire_1_2673430

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I know some scumbag junkie in a town about 50 miles from me who targets catalytic convertors for this very reason. Even though there are laws in my state about ID and scrapping the scrap dealers are only required to record the ID and are not required to report things that are obviously stolen. Couple that with the fact that the local cops just don't give shit about stolen scrap and nothing was really changed by the law.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited October 2011
    I think being such an avid participant of recycling is admirable.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Osiris wrote: »
    I think being such an avid participant of recycling is admirable.

Then you won't mind if I come to your house and cut the catalytic convertor from your car and "recycle" it right?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    In some shitty parts of the world. Dickheads cut off electricity lines to sell the copper.

That type of selfish destruction should have a severe prison sentence as a deterrent.
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited October 2011
    This has been going on for years now in a lot of areas. Some companies do hold certain items (copper/aluminum wiring is another big one) while they check to make sure there hasn't been a bunch of thefts in the area lately through the police or some such, but this is still entirely at the business level and not government mandated.

I suppose I'm not effected either way as I live in an area where emissions are not regulated and I've long since ripped mine off to free up the exhaust flow. Sorry, planet. :/