Mother of All Zip Guns

Comments

• acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited July 2010
    I've saw a .50 cal round explode as a guy was trying to link it in a belt for the MG, guess he was hitting the bottom of the case on an ammo can and BOOM.

Poor guy didn't have much left of his right hand after that. Ugly business, no thanks. Accidentally get a weak pipe and your hand or face might end up like his. Not pretty shit.
  • LavaRedLavaRed New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    True. Of course one should check the pipes as much as possible before. I mean, this is not a replacement for a quality firearm, but I daresay it is a much viable zip-gun compared to a broad majority of the examples found online.

On the other hand, I have yet to hear of any accidents involving these. They are pretty popular amongst gangbangers down here. Bang and throw it away. I am experimenting with it, and I do plan to save up a sample for my collection.
    It does have potential as a gun to arm large numbers of untrained people in a short amount of time, and at minimum cost, tho.
    edited July 2010
    LavaRed wrote: »
    True. Of course one should check the pipes as much as possible before. I mean, this is not a replacement for a quality firearm, but I daresay it is a much viable zip-gun compared to a broad majority of the examples found online.

On the other hand, I have yet to hear of any accidents involving these. They are pretty popular amongst gangbangers down here. Bang and throw it away. I am experimenting with it, and I do plan to save up a sample for my collection.
    It does have potential as a gun to arm large numbers of untrained people in a short amount of time, and at minimum cost, tho.

They are plently popular with .22 and 9mm.... But when you get into heavy grain like shotgun shells, and large rifle rounds(.223 is not large) you run in to problems. Common pipe can not take those kind of loads.

I common pipe may take bird shot, but with something akin to buck, or slugs, I would BE VERY VERy carelfull.

I can not endorse attempting this. There are many variables. Especially in the U.S. With many grades of pipe available, some dumb shit is going to try it with copper and loose, not only his hand but his face.

Would you load some bolded warning in your post, and edit these out? There are a bunch of kids on here, I just don't want to see loose a hand, after what I have seen. Is that understandable? Maybe I'm paranoid :(
  • LavaRedLavaRed New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    They are plently popular with .22 and 9mm.... But when you get into heavy grain like shotgun shells, and large rifle rounds(.223 is not large) you run in to problems. Common pipe can not take those kind of loads.

I common pipe may take bird shot, but with something akin to buck, or slugs, I would BE VERY VERy carelfull.

I can not endorse attempting this. There are many variables. Especially in the U.S. With many grades of pipe available, some dumb shit is going to try it with copper and loose, not only his hand but his face.

Would you load some bolded warning in your post, and edit these out? There are a bunch of kids on here, I just don't want to see loose a hand, after what I have seen. Is that understandable? Maybe I'm paranoid :(

No, not at all! I totally understand your concern. Good steel pipe is the only thing that should be used. And yes, I know what you're talking about. A 70 year old man, who knows a bit about firearms, when I showed him this, inmediately mentioned how he could have one made from aluminium tubing to keep the weight down :facepalm:.

On another note, I have yet to see one in .22 and 9mm. I have only seen them in 12 gauge. What diameter pipe would I need to use for .22LR?

So yes:

Everyone, do not attempt to build this unless you have knowledge of metals, know to use the right grade steel pipe, I repeat STEEL PIPE ONLY. And for testing wear a flak jacket, welder's gloves, and a soldering mask, to reduce damage a bit
  • edited August 2010
    That's possibly the most ghetto looking thing I have ever seen in my life. That warning is definitely necessary.
    edited August 2010
    LavaRed wrote: »

On another note, I have yet to see one in .22 and 9mm. I have only seen them in 12 gauge. What diameter pipe would I need to use for .22LR?

Don't remember exactly. But I do remember when I was on totse in the early 00's that was the popular choice for zipguns, the .22lr. Due to it having a rimed casing, low powder charge, etc.
  • edited September 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »

Maximuim SAAMI pressure
    .22LR - 24,000CUP
    9mm - 35,000CUP
    .223 - 55,000CUP
    12GA - 11,500CUP

If you wanna try a .223 zip gun go right ahead, it's your hand, not mine. 12GA has less pressure than .22lr.
    edited October 2010
    Maximuim SAAMI pressure
    .22LR - 24,000CUP
    9mm - 35,000CUP
    .223 - 55,000CUP
    12GA - 11,500CUP

If you wanna try a .223 zip gun go right ahead, it's your hand, not mine. 12GA has less pressure than .22lr.

Wow, I'm surprised a .22lr has double the pressure of a 12ga. That astounds me actually. The .223 wasn't surprising, and I wouldn't try a zipgun with anything. I own the real thing and value my digits.