High School Hacks - How to steal money from vending machines

edited September 2010 in Man Cave

How to hack a vending machine

totsevendingmachinehack.png

Fuck, I hate that word. "Hack". I wouldn't normally use it, but it seems to help Google results direct spotty teenagers to our website.

This is probably the easiest, most widely known trick in the book. But damn it, it works well, and it hasn't been posted here yet. In your high school, you probably have snack machines, coffee machines, or various other types of vending machine which take peoples money, vend something, and refund any left over change.

We're going to take advantage of that change slot, allowing us to take a day's worth of loose change.
So, what do?

You're going to need the following things...
  • Strong sticky tape, preferably the same color as the change slot on the vending machine
  • About 5-10 seconds spare time

Before you make the hit...

Remember to do your homework before hitting a machine for change. Work out which ones are the most popular, and which ones are more likely to dispense change (a machine selling candy for $1.50 is more likely to dispense change than one selling for $2, because people are less likely to be able to use correct change).

Planting the tape

You're going to need to get up close and personal with the machine here. Buy something if you can be bothered, and let the machine dispense some change. When picking up your money, stick the tape inside the change slot so that it catches any falling change. Now, when someone uses the machine, the change will fall onto the tape instead of into the change slot itself.

Collecting the goods

At the end of the day, you're going to want to collect your winnings. Take the tape off, covering the change slot in anticipation for a flood of change falling down the chute. Pocket the cash, put the tape in the trash, and walk away slightly richer.

Tl;dr - A quick summary
  1. Do some reconnaissance on the machines, finding the best target.
  2. Tape the change slot in the vending machine, to catch falling change.
  3. Return at the end of the day and retrieve goods.

Added to CMS by Trx100

Comments

• LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2010
    Done this before, and I am little dissapointed in you posting this.

"The best way to avoid being scammed is to know how to scam."-Totse

You are consciensly giving people possible explanations as to why people aren't getting their change back.
  • edited September 2010
    Psh, just posting guides bro. I'm not giving people much information at all - I already said that it was probably the oldest trick in the book. If they haven't heard it from me, they've probably heard it millions of times in other places :D
  • edited September 2010
    Plus this will get us more traffic so good job :D The vending machines on campus near me are in really crowded place so i'm not sure if i could do this so well but i might give it a shot if i'm up to it at like 3 am.

Thanks for the support dude. I'm trying here!

Make sure that you stick the tape on really good, or the weight of the coins might cause it to unstick itself.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    That's a pretty nice idea. Ima make some rounds one day :D
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember one year at a park near where I live one of the vending machines was left unlocked (no clue how) so I wedged the lock in with a piece of paper clip I had in my pocket to make it look like it was closed, then went back after dark with some tools and removed the lock cylinder, brought it home and took it apart. I removed all but one pin and with a large paperclip I fashioned a makeshift key by bending the tip of one end down and inward to fit into the notch and then coiled it around the center and through trial and error and bending it just right was able to make a key that when inserted would press the single pin down to the right level and open the lock. I replaced it early the next day. The result: free Gatorade for the entire summer that year.
  • edited September 2010
    Hahaha, that's awesome. Apparently cylinder locks are the easiest locks to pick, so maybe I should learn that and write a guide on it too.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited September 2010
    To clarify, it was a tubular style lock. Cylinder locks are generally pin tumbler locks like on the entry door to your house.
    There are many guides on how to pick locks, and the best way to learn is to get a locksmith training book. I was into mechanical stuff as a kid and had a large collection of locks and keys. I essentially taught myself the basics of lockpicking by fashioning picks out of paperclips and the metal strips in windshield wipers, and practicing on desks and file cabinets at school. I learned the credit card trick when I was 12 and when I wanted entry to various places in older buildings (like my school) it did the trick. I got a book on locksmithing for my 15th birthday, and it helped me greatly in learning to pick and disassemble locks. If you find you're really good at it, consider going to school for it and do it as a trade.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the guide, even though this is a simple trick. It doesn't hurt to add guides about minor things as well. Keep up the good work guys. Reddit'ed.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    Done this before, and I am little dissapointed in you posting this.

"The best way to avoid being scammed is to know how to scam."-Totse

You are consciensly giving people possible explanations as to why people aren't getting their change back.

:facepalm: This is the whole point of totse. Read * Know * Do. Not everyone is going to know about this, but some people will be able to pull off the little scam thanks to learning about it here. Totse has always been about freedom of information.
  • edited September 2010
    Update: I did this at the less busy vending machine at the end of my campus last night and collected $5.75 in mostly quarters and couple dimes and nickels:thumbsup:

Haha! That's awesome bro. Imagine doing that everyday of the week - its really easy money!
  • PigPig Regular
    edited September 2010
    How far up the coin slot do you put the tape? Because I know some people like to stick their hand in the coin slot and feel around if they don't get their change, and it'd ruin the whole idea if they uncover the tape themselves.
  • edited September 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    How far up the coin slot do you put the tape? Because I know some people like to stick their hand in the coin slot and feel around if they don't get their change, and it'd ruin the whole idea if they uncover the tape themselves.

Yknow where the money actually drops from? The little chute.

Put your tape up in the chute somewhere so that it doesn't actually reach the coin slot at all.