Formatting Guide [READ ME]

DfgDfg Admin
edited September 2010 in Help and Suggestions
guide.png

Quick Reminder: This guide was intended for mods not users. But I decided to post it [in H&S as well] so users can get some tips about posting. These are simple guidelines that will help you make your threads better. It mostly applies to Guides, Howto threads which require formatting. If you're going to argue about this and that and this is &T etc then please, don't. Lack of formatting always makes a dull guide. No need to get angry over it. I will repeat this guide was and still is intended for section mods.

As most of the users/moderators have seen, I am very strict when it comes to formatting and I tend to format users threads [by asking them if they need any help]. Organized content makes your thread look professional and easy to read. If we're going to attract members we should consider each thread as an article or a post on any major blog.

Consider your threads as an article on WordPress. To attract users, bloggers use Creative Thread Titles [not the old boring ones] and they add tons of images, videos and side links. You have to follow the same principle.

Hosting Account For Images

I will recommend Dropbox because all I have to do is just save the image on my Hard Disk [into My Dropbox folder located in my Document (hint: it's the public folder I am referring to)] and then I will simply right click and get the URL and paste it here. The image will get uploaded in the background and since there is no limit, I can host tons of images for Totse using my Dropbox FOR FREE!

Dropbox

Use Formatting Codes [BBCodes]

Using BBcodes is a must and if you're a moderator you should know most of them, since it's your responsibility to contribute and guide users. You don't have to learn all the codes. I just remember some simple ones that I use all the time. But I have a shortcut for everything like always.

If you're using Firefox, Install BBCode Add-on.

After installing it, restart your browser and then Right Click, BBCode > Settings > Custom Tags.

Here is where the fun begins. You can create custom tags for everything.

The syntax is pretty simple and it's pretty much a copy paste job.

For Spoiler Tag:
[noparse]
_value_
[/noparse]

That's it. You just have to add _value_ between tags and then select any line and use the BBCode and it will apply the tag.

By default, you create custom tags for Fonts, Center, Youtube, Spoiler etc.

Fonts

I use Georgia because it's easier to read. Using different fonts gives you more power and makes your thread readable on different screens. It also makes your thread look neat and clean. It's important you use different Fonts for heading, body and quotes.

Using BBcode Add-on will make this easier. Make sure to pick fonts which are easy to read and not that fancy.

Videos and Images

If you haven't noticed, I would suggest you check my video threads. Always CENTER the images and the videos. It looks good and balances the layout.

List and Links

Perhaps the most overlooked feature. Use list wherever possible and even if you're posting source links. A simple unnumbered list will make it easier to read and more professional.

Source

Always mention the source, if you're copying some content. Don't copy it all. Just copy the main point and then link them back if possible. Always add your touch to the thread. It makes it unique.

These are just some pointers. You have to make your thread attractive, so when I tweet it. Users will read it easily and might register.

Also, I will edit or format your threads before digging or tweeting them. I hope you don't mind but it's a necessary step and I won't change any text. I will just add images and stuff.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Is there any way you could implement some kind of automatic image/video centering? Or a tick box which says "center images/videos?" for ease of use? I dunno. It's lazy, but it would be cool.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Is there any way you could implement some kind of automatic image/video centering? Or a tick box which says "center images/videos?" for ease of use? I dunno. It's lazy, but it would be cool.

I will try to find a workaround. But really BBCode add-on makes it easier.
  • edited August 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    guide.png

As most of the users/moderators have seen, I am very strict when it comes to formatting and I tend to format users threads [by asking them if they need any help].

As I's said before and as had been proven by meta ;

power corrupts and super power corrupt superbly.

Just look at you and you newly acquired power, just as soon as you got them you can't wait to dicktate how and in what ways people should live nad posts. NO. I don't appreciate you and your fucking talibanistic "formating guides". I post my posts in anyway I please, any how I like and in any fucking format I want. Its none of your fucking business to mind other people's formating.

I DONT FUCKING NEED YOUR FUCKING HELP AND YOU CAN SHOVE THIS FAGOT FORMATING GUIDE UP YOUR ASS.
    Organized content makes your thread look professional and easy to read. If we're going to attract members we should consider each thread as an article or a post on any major blog.

People who're impressed by superficial retarded stuff like formating nad appearance are ususally retards and fagots and are generally useless and worthless. People with real intellect cared ONLY FOR THE CONTENT POSTED, not the format they're posted in. FUCK YOU>
    Consider your threads as an article on WordPress. To attract users, bloggers use Creative Thread Titles [not the old boring ones] and they add tons of images, videos and side links. You have to follow the same principle.

Had it ever occur to you that the crowds I'm trying to attract is different than the generally retarded masses out there that made up 99% of the population ?
    I will recommend

While I recomend that you shove your recommendation up your ass or wrap it round your mutilated dick and phap. I know how to post and I dont need your fucking recommendation.
    I use Georgia because it's easier to read.

FUCK YOU. It's qurre fonts like georgia that pissed me off evenrtime you post. I just kept my mouth shut cos its your post nad I respect the way you post it, no mater how fagoted it may be.

ANd simple arial is the best and easiest font to read.
    If you haven't noticed, I would suggest you check my video threads. Always CENTER the images and the videos. It looks good and balances the layout.

List and Links

No I havent noticed. No body are interested looking at the sands of some fucking third world shit hole. And when I do I care on;y for ythe video and not its position on my screen.
    Perhaps the most overlooked feature. Use list wherever possible and even if you're posting source links. A simple unnumbered list will make it easier to read and more professional.

[1] that's something that only phaggotts like you'd give a fuck.

[2] tis &T and *NOT* some professional or coporate blog or webpage.

[3] now go fuck yourself.

Source

Always mention the source, if you're copying some content. Don't copy it all. Just copy the main point and then link them back if possible. Always add your touch to the thread. It makes it unique.

again ... your opinion is irrelevant.
    Also, I will edit or format your threads before digging or tweeting them. I hope you don't mind but it's a necessary step and I won't change any text. I will just add images and stuff.

YES, I FUCKING DO MIND. WHEN I POST SOMETHING I EXPECT IT TO BE JUST THE WAY I POST IT AND REMAINS THAT WAY.

FAGOTS LIKE YOU DON;T GET TO REFORMAT THEM, MUCH LESS EDIT THEM TO SUIT OYUR PHAGGOTTED TASTES.

TLDR ; GO FUCK THYSELF. YOU SHOULD JOINT TALIBAN IF YOU LOVE SO MUCH TO DICKTATE HOW AND IN WHAT PAHGGOTED WAYS POEPLE SHOULD LIVE THEIR LIVES.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    As I's said before and as had been proven by meta ;

power corrupts and super power corrupt superbly.

Just look at you and you newly acquired power, just as soon as you got them you can't wait to dicktate how and in what ways people should live nad posts. NO. I don't appreciate you and your fucking talibanistic "formating guides". I post my posts in anyway I please, any how I like and in any fucking format I want. Its none of your fucking business to mind other people's formating.

I DONT FUCKING NEED YOUR FUCKING HELP AND YOU CAN SHOVE THIS FAGOT FORMATING GUIDE UP YOUR ASS.

People who're impressed by superficial retarded stuff like formating nad appearance are ususally retards and fagots and are generally useless and worthless. People with real intellect cared ONLY FOR THE CONTENT POSTED, not the format they're posted in. FUCK YOU>

Had it ever occur to you that the crowds I'm trying to attract is different than the generally retarded masses out there that made up 99% of the population ?

While I recomend that you shove your recommendation up your ass or wrap it round your mutilated dick and phap. I know how to post and I dont need your fucking recommendation.

FUCK YOU. It's qurre fonts like georgia that pissed me off evenrtime you post. I just kept my mouth shut cos its your post nad I respect the way you post it, no mater how fagoted it may be.

ANd simple arial is the best and easiest font to read.

No I havent noticed. No body are interested looking at the sands of some fucking third world shit hole. And when I do I care on;y for ythe video and not its position on my screen.

[1] that's something that only phaggotts like you'd give a fuck.

[2] tis &T and *NOT* some professional or coporate blog or webpage.

[3] now go fuck yourself.

Source

again ... your opinion is irrelevant.

YES, I FUCKING DO MIND. WHEN I POST SOMETHING I EXPECT IT TO BE JUST THE WAY I POST IT AND REMAINS THAT WAY.

FAGOTS LIKE YOU DON;T GET TO REFORMAT THEM, MUCH LESS EDIT THEM TO SUIT OYUR PHAGGOTTED TASTES.

TLDR ; GO FUCK THYSELF. YOU SHOULD JOINT TALIBAN IF YOU LOVE SO MUCH TO DICKTATE HOW AND IN WHAT PAHGGOTED WAYS POEPLE SHOULD LIVE THEIR LIVES.

lol, It's the first time I enjoyed reading your post. Btw this was intended for Mods not users. I posted this in M&A but I decided other users can get some tips if they like. I am NOT SAYING IT'S MANDATORY etc. It's just a guide, improvise if you like or continue posting like you always do. It doesn't matter.

I was referring to the Tweeted posts when I said reformat.

Have fun :)

EDIT: Added a note for users such as The Methematician.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited August 2010
    I think 'formatting' our threads is a bit to much.

Can't you just retweet or digg the original content?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I think 'formatting' our threads is a bit to much.

Can't you just retweet or digg the original content?

Sure, I am not asking or forcing anyone. No need to change your posting style. This guide is just here to counter common problems when users make threads. I have seen some other forums with guides and trust me, some of them are hard to read or even follow. Just making it easier for everyone to read what you just wrote.

If you're not comfortable with this, then don't do it :).

Example:
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=3561
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=2528

Just a bit of spice makes it easier for everyone.
    edited August 2010

So we can submit torrents and warez now?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    So we can submit torrents and warez now?

Sure, I never told anyone to stop linking them. I actually encourage it. I was the first on Zoklet to suggest linking torrents and adding p2p into Zoklet. Why would I go against it on Totse.

Just make sure there are no viruses etc.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure by the looks of it what Dfg has in mind with the formatting business pertains to "Serious" threads that have actual content (ie. Guides, Tutorials, etc.) and not your typical run of the mill comments. In which case those threads should have some sort of format. I can't tell you how many brilliant people I have overlooked on tech forums because of the paragraph standard compared to one that is chronologically laid out. Basic English 101 in a nutshell folks, there are many different styles of writing, Dfg is offering you the ability to utilize some of that English you learned in school so you can actually get some use out of it. Taking 4 quarters of English in college forced me to write in many different styles, and believe me it does have an effectiveness on the audience depending on the content and the writing style being used.

Don't get too worked up over nothing. Keep on trucking but just take a mental note for the time being and try to vary yourself as a challenge. You'll find you might get your point across easier and stronger once you learn which style suits which content best.
    edited August 2010
    Sure, I never told anyone to stop linking them. I actually encourage it. I was the first on Zoklet to suggest linking torrents and adding p2p into Zoklet. Why would I go against it on Totse.

Just make sure there are no viruses etc.

So can we also post apps and links via filehosting services?

Programs people will find useful and stuff.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    So can we also post apps and links via filehosting services?

Programs people will find useful and stuff.

Sure but keep it low if possible. I don't want Microsoft getting mad at us atm. They will in future but now is not that time ;).
  • edited August 2010
    lol, It's the first time I enjoyed reading your post.

LIES ! You just realize that most of my posts are meant for those with higher than average IQs adnthose who're not itellectually challenged, andso you PRETEND to enjoy my post in hope that I'LL brand you as "among my target audience". But you know what ?

You know that's not true. But most importantly, [highlight]I[/highlight] know its not true. (and so does HE)

Btw this was intended for Mods not users.

Well then ... what're you waiting for ? Make me a mod NOW so that my opinions remain valid. But then I knew phaggotts like you would feel threatened to have an intellectually AND RACIALLY superior being ... such as myself to be among you, cos that'll make you, and other mods like you .... appear more err .... intellectually inferior, relatively speaking. Especially when your racially inferior already to begin with.
    I was referring to the Tweeted posts when I said reformat.

FFS ... tweeter are for the masses, which means it'll bring in 99% of the people out there. Now that translated as bringing in more retards to &T. In the end, if you succeed, the people here'd be just like posters you find at 4chan, just older, and with more pubic hairs.
    EDIT: Added a note for users such as The Methematician.

Remove me from your lil phaggot list,pls. Recognition from you, being notable in your queer eyes meant nothing ! Your not Hawking or Carl Sagan .... your not Einstein, not Nietzsche, not even fraudulent Freud.

YOUR NOBODY.
    YOUR JUST A LIL TURBAN WEARING PAKY.
    NOW GO PERFORM SOME COCK SUCKY-SUCKY.
    YOU CAN BEGIN BY SUCKING YOUR USTAZ'Z PEE-PEE.

OR ;

YOU CAN LET HIM TOUCH YOURS IF HE HAVENT ALREADY.
  • edited August 2010
    I was the first on Zoklet to suggest linking torrents and adding p2p into Zoklet.

I was the one who first suggest that we have totse torrent, back in the real totse. It's all the same with you paki.

you let somebody to come up with something, then you take it and claim it as yours. Just like what you did with Kashmir.

Your all the smae.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    LIES ! You just realize that most of my posts are meant for those with higher than average IQs adnthose who're not itellectually challenged, andso you PRETEND to enjoy my post in hope that I'LL brand you as "among my target audience". But you know what ?

You know that's not true. But most importantly, [highlight]I[/highlight] know its not true. (and so does HE)

Well then ... what're you waiting for ? Make me a mod NOW so that my opinions remain valid. But then I knew phaggotts like you would feel threatened to have an intellectually AND RACIALLY superior being ... such as myself to be among you, cos that'll make you, and other mods like you .... appear more err .... intellectually inferior, relatively speaking. Especially when your racially inferior already to begin with.

FFS ... tweeter are for the masses, which means it'll bring in 99% of the people out there. Now that translated as bringing in more retards to &T. In the end, if you succeed, the people here'd be just like posters you find at 4chan, just older, and with more pubic hairs.

Remove me from your lil phaggot list,pls. Recognition from you, being notable in your queer eyes meant nothing ! Your not Hawking or Carl Sagan .... your not Einstein, not Nietzsche, not even fraudulent Freud.

YOUR NOBODY.
    YOUR JUST A LIL TURBAN WEARING PAKY.
    NOW GO PERFORM SOME COCK SUCKY-SUCKY.
    YOU CAN BEGIN BY SUCKING YOUR USTAZ'Z PEE-PEE.

OR ;

YOU CAN LET HIM TOUCH YOURS IF HE HAVENT ALREADY.

Dude, I know you from IRC. I know how you type and I also know you can type English perfectly. Even better than me. Btw if you contribute you will become a mod regardless of what I think. So, far I haven't seen you contribute in major sections.

Here is another example of formatting:
    http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=3400
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    I was the one who first suggest that we have totse torrent, back in the real totse. It's all the same with you paki.

you let somebody to come up with something, then you take it and claim it as yours. Just like what you did with Kashmir.

Your all the smae.

I was referring to Zoklet not Totse.
  • edited August 2010
    Dude, I know you from IRC.

Dood, u mistook me for someone wlse. Was never on IRC.
    I was referring to Zoklet not Totse.

But &Z is just a crappier, cheaper imitation of &T. Being 1st on &Z is just being like .... postulating that the earth revolved round the sun, today.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited September 2010
    Methmetician knows some sense.

Faggot little Indian knows fuck all about how to get a successful community off of the ground. A place needs some soul and character, not endless stickies and DO THIS DONT DO THIS DO THIS DONT DO THIS holla'd at you.

Demod this prick and get the interesting people with a clue on board.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    da teacha wrote: »

Faggot little Indian knows fuck all about how to get a successful community off of the ground. A place needs some soul and character, not endless stickies and DO THIS DONT DO THIS DO THIS DONT DO THIS holla'd at you.

Thanks for the input. I hope you read all the other discussion threads as well.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    da teacha wrote: »

He left. Wtf are you on about?
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited September 2010
    This is the kind of thing that contributed to the fall of Zoklet, fighting between the mods and a large disconnect between the user and the moderator. I do not believe that serious threads need so much formatting as to change the font, etc., but Christ. Do we REALLY need to be attacking people who wish to format their threads? This is completely OPTIONAL. You don't see me doing it in my sticky in Cunning Linguists, simply because I don't want to. But if somebody wants to, let them. Dfg is trying to give insight into why he does things his way, and albeit he is pushing it a little harder than he should by making the thread sound official, he is honestly only trying to help. That's all we can do, really. I'm not going to be following a lot of this advice, but I am going to be doing what I should be doing, delivering knowledge and good content to the website, formatting it or not.
    edited September 2010
    Minimal formatting and adding a picture in guides makes sense. If you aren't writing a guide, then who cares about the format.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    This is the kind of thing that contributed to the fall of Zoklet, fighting between the mods and a large disconnect between the user and the moderator. I do not believe that serious threads need so much formatting as to change the font, etc., but Christ. Do we REALLY need to be attacking people who wish to format their threads? This is completely OPTIONAL. You don't see me doing it in my sticky in Cunning Linguists, simply because I don't want to. But if somebody wants to, let them. Dfg is trying to give insight into why he does things his way, and albeit he is pushing it a little harder than he should by making the thread sound official, he is honestly only trying to help. That's all we can do, really. I'm not going to be following a lot of this advice, but I am going to be doing what I should be doing, delivering knowledge and good content to the website, formatting it or not.
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Minimal formatting and adding a picture in guides makes sense. If you aren't writing a guide, then who cares about the format.

^These.

It might sound over doing it for others but the guide is intended for new users as well. You don't want to see users posting crap and then adding Guide prefixes. Again, it's totally optional. Do whatever you want to :).
  • edited September 2010

This, for sure. I format my guides because it looks nice, and I want my guides to be easy to read.

Normal threads don't have to be formatted, but its up to the individual whether they want their post to look normal or extra funky.
    edited September 2010
    I do very minimal formatting on my guides. I center images and the title. Separate things into paragraphs with a bolded section title, and that's about it. Takes me maybe 2-3 minutes on average and the result is a thread that is much easier to read.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I do very minimal formatting on my guides. I center images and the title. Separate things into paragraphs with a bolded section title, and that's about it. Takes me maybe 2-3 minutes on average and the result is a thread that is much easier to read.

Yeah it's really not that difficult and just makes the whole thing better. I cant really see why anyone would complain about some formatting it's not like it takes a half hour to do it. Like you said Add an image center it. Add bullet's to lists etc.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Formatting is quite simple, and really becomes second-nature once you get into doing it :D
    edited September 2010
    Some people are butthurt morons who don't want to help the site.