Drop down forum jump.

acid_dropacid_drop Regular
edited October 2010 in Help and Suggestions
I assume this has been addressed before. But does anyone remember the drop down forum-jump menu that used to be in the lower right corner?

I hate having to scroll up an entire thread after responding to something, to return back to the forum or back to another. It's an annoyance on my desktop, but a serious pain in the ass on my DroidX.

I assume it's been absent from the forum in general and not just my platforms, but why? It really shouldn't require much more bandwidth or anything, it's a simple re-direct as are the links at the top.

I miss it :confused:

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I have no idea why we don't have it. I think it got disabled when we were trying to reduce load on the server.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    It's disabled becuase it consumes resources which we currently lack. As soon as we get a better host it will be enabled.
  • edited October 2010
    It's surprising how much such a little thing can take up. How much does that actually increase server load?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    It's surprising how much such a little thing can take up. How much does that actually increase server load?
    vBulletin Options -> General Settings -> Use Forum Jump Menu: I have this setting turned off. If you have a large forum this will cause the server to work harder as it was to Generate the Forum Jump and then display it on the page. The Forum Jump consists of alot of html which makes the page larger which increases bandwidth usage and finally increases the code to content ratio (Search Engines may or may not take Code To Content ration into consideration when ranking a page. They do like smaller pages however). 95% of the users will not even realize it is gone. Atleast this is the case on my site.

Link: http://www.totse.info/bbs/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=77356
  • edited October 2010
    Interesting. I never use it anyway, I just find it kinda annoying sitting at the bottom there all the time. It's good to see that we've trimmed a lot of the fat from TOTSE. Shame that some people use it though :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    I love Forum Jump :(. But it's for the greater good of Totse.
  • ZarniwoopZarniwoop Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    Dfg I dislike the way you run this place.

Having a more efficient forum is for the greater good, with ease of use. Not disabling good things because you have an overinflated sense of how much traffic, and thus server load, this forum gets.
  • edited October 2010
    Zarniwoop wrote: »
    Dfg I dislike the way you run this place.

Having a more efficient forum is for the greater good, with ease of use. Not disabling good things because you have an overinflated sense of how much traffic, and thus server load, this forum gets.

The server we're on is absolute shit right now, and we actually NEEDED to disable all this stuff just to get the forum to run. They shut us down about 5 times before because we were actually crashing their servers.

Once we get the new hosting, this stuff will probably come back.

EDIT: PS, Dfg doesn't run this place.
    edited October 2010
    ... does Dfg know he doesn't run this place?
  • edited October 2010
    Dfg is in largely in control of the forum, as he is online a lot more than Hellish can manage. Hellish is in charge of the site as a whole.

Whatever changes Dfg makes is in response to the community as a whole anyway, so I guess you can say that WE run this place.
    edited October 2010
    Except Dfg is totally unwilling to listen to anyone but himself.

Seriously, LEARN from Zoklets mistakes. Don't have ethnics in charge.

Totse - success, ran by a white man.

Zoklet - fail, ran by a black man

Totse.info - possible fail, ran by a paki.

See the pattern.

4chan - success, ran by a white man.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010

See the pattern.

The community runs this place, I act as an extension. There is some thing that I can't do because this server can't handle it. If you were active enough in the past months you would have known how much trouble we had to go through to keep this place running. I listen and I listen all the time. We were forced to remove features because we already got suspended 5 times or more. Each suspension causes us to lose traffic.

We had to optimize the forum to make it faster or at least survive until things can be worked out.

Again, Hellish runs this place. I act as an extension to the community and the community calls the shots.

Some other features have been removed as well but all these changes are temporary.
  • edited October 2010
    Basically, the community makes the decisions around here and Dfg is the guy who makes them happen. We never pass any major changes without a vote.
    edited October 2010
    Yea I'm calling shenanigans on that. You might have a vote in the same way Zoklet or North Korea does.
  • edited October 2010
    We announce the proposed changes to the forum in the Help and Suggestions section of the forum usually. Once the majority of people have spoken, the changes are made.
    edited October 2010
    Tbh I still think Dfg thinks he runs this place.

Watch this space, he will turn Nazi.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010

*Watches*

Starts countdown to Nazism.

:p
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010

If he does then we'll all just leave. So far he's not being a huge dick and he's not randomly getting rid of PMs like zok. As long as he listens to the community I don't see a problem.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    And even if that happens, I would get demodded easily.
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited October 2010

See the pattern.

Get out of my thread with this stupid shit, dumb fuck. :angry:
    edited October 2010
    Also, I want forum jump :mad:
    edited October 2010
    acid_drop wrote: »
    Get out of my thread with this stupid shit, dumb fuck. :angry:

But it's true.

Minorities in charge is a bad way to go.

Pol Pot - horrible man.

Mugabe - equally bad.
    edited October 2010
    But it's true.

Minorities in charge is a bad way to go.

Pol Pot - horrible man.

Mugabe - equally bad.

Whites are soon to be the minority in this country. Then what? Whites are the minority world wide as it is. Don't be a fucking dumb ass.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2010
    An alternative to the 'forum jump' is a 4chan style navigation line at the bottom of every page
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited October 2010
    It doesn't really bother me. It usually takes less than one second to get back to the top of the page. You guys are just in too much of a hurry. orlovsky.gif
  • edited October 2010
    I just use my mouse and scroll up. In fact, I never even need to do that because I open every thread in a new tab and close it when I've made my post.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    Scroll.
    Wheel.
    FTW

Make yours more sensitive if it's slow.