Benzo dependency and withdrawal

Bob_DoleBob_Dole Acolyte
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
I've been reading online that it takes up to a few months to develop a physical dependency, is there any truth to this?

For the past week I've been taking .5-3 mg of xanax over the course of the day. I know how shitty opiate withdrawals are, and after about four days of constant use, I tend to get sick, so naturally I have no desire to do this with my benzo abuse.

Any ideas?

Comments

• lifeofbeanlifeofbean New Arrival
    edited February 2011
    You can get physical dependency within a week of heavy benzo use - but at that point withdrawal should hopefully be limited to nasty headaches and irritability (hopefully). But seriously, benzos need a healthy dose of respect, don't fuck around with them on a daily basis, the withdrawal is fucking horrid.

Opiate withdrawal will only make you wish you were dead. Alcohol and benzo withdrawal can make you dead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_tremens DT's landed me in an ICU for nearly a week a few years ago - they're normally caused by alcohol wd, but benzo wd can also cause them.
  • PennywisePennywise Regular
    edited February 2011
    Benzo withdrawl is nasty. But the hallucinations were movie quality. If I could show you or even tell you about the hallucinations it would be great, but it's all stuck in my brain unable to get out. Man..... However the seizures and the other things that were going on were terrible, as always would be if your withdraling from anything.