Mubarak steps down

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited February 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Egypt's youthful uprising has prevailed, after taking on for 18 days the full might of the dictatorship of Hosni Mubarak, President for 30 years.

Soon after evening prayers were said, a grim faced Vice-President Omar Suleiman, a long-serving regime loyalist, announced on state television that Mr. Mubarak had resigned. He read out a statement: “President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of President of the republic and has charged the High Council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country.”

Earlier during the day, Mr. Mubarak and his family left for the Red Sea resort city of Sharm-el-Sheikh, bringing the curtains down on an authoritarian era, which began when he assumed power in 1981 following the assassination of Anwar Sadat during a military parade.

Mr. Suleiman's words broadcast for less than 30 seconds were electrifying, causing the bottled up emotions of anxiety, defiance, courage and hope among the youthful protesters to explode. Some fainted with emotion at the Tahrir Square, which became an arena of unending celebrations; the sound of firecrackers was often drowned by the overhang of a deafening roar, which emerged from the joyous flag-waving masses.

“It is the beginning of a new Egypt which seems to have been cleansed and reborn,” a man at the square said. Others said they were experiencing a new sense of pride in being Egyptian. “I feel I am again empowered and in control of my destiny,” said Amira, an engineer and regular visitor to the square.

The deserved euphoria notwithstanding, some said the “revolution” was incomplete, expressing fears that the military might yet block the political space the pro-democracy movement, led by a new cyber-active generation, now wishes to occupy.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article1413826.ece?homepage=true

Mubarak is a fucking genius:thumbsup: He rules Egypt for 30 years and steals 40 to 70 billion and leaves the country. This was brilliant he steals billions from his country than leaves the country to live out his last years with billions. say what you want but Mubarak was the clear winner in all of this.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    And now the military is officially in charge, awesome move. What I see happening in the coming weeks is the military allowing the fundamentalist Muslims that now have the populist support to establish an Islamic republic for fear of further uprisings. Now we will have another Islamic state to deal with instead of a stable dictatorship. Tourism is a cornerstone industry in Egypt, and nobody is going to book anything till shit settles down, if it ever does. The result will be another nation looking to the west for handouts and trade while still supporting the Islamic agenda. Awesome, power to the people.

C/O
    "pessimist"