Tips on handgun accuracy

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
As I stated yesterday I got a .40 handgun. I got to shoot it today and realized my accuracy fucking sucks with handguns. This is the first handgun I ever shot but still it was pretty bad. With rifles my accuracy is great I hardly ever miss anything with a rifle but with the pistol so far it's a different story.

So anyone on here that owns or has shot pistols I would like some tips on improving my accuracy. It also came with a "ghost ring" site I can install I that would help?

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    As I stated yesterday I got a hi point .40 handgun. I got to shoot it today and realized my accuracy fucking sucks with handguns. This is the first handgun I ever shot but still it was pretty bad. With rifles my accuracy is great I hardly ever miss anything with a rifle but with the pistol so far it's a different story.

So anyone on here that owns or has shot pistols I would like some tips on improving my accuracy. It also came with a "ghost ring" site I can install I that would help?

Get one of these...

But yeah I have astigmatism so I have always had problems with handguns. I qualified 40 out of 40 with the M16 and with any rifle I have spent anytime adjusting the site with I am quite accurate. But with a handgun I am better of throwing it at the target if it is more than 30 feet away.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited February 2011
    Can't recall the brand offhand, but there are "glow" paints you can apply to your sights to make them more visible, and easier to aim with.

I'll have to track it down, but I've got a pic somewhere that breaks down off-center groupings by what the shooter is doing. i.e. anticipating recoil.
  • edited February 2011
    Keep the sights lined up
    Squeeze trigger slowly and firmly with pad of finger rather than joint
    As you squeeze, keep sights aligned with target.

Also .40 is not known for being a particularly inherently accurate round.