New computer!

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited February 2011 in Tech & Games
Bigger screen, feels good man. :thumbsup:

It's a lot of work getting a computer set up though. Need to copy all my files, install programs, get rid of shitware etc.

The plan is:
*Get everything set up how I like it.
*Wipe my old pc's hard drive.
*Copy the disk image from this new 160gb 5200rpm drive to my old 500gb 7200rpm seagate (8 thousand hours on it so far).
*Party hard

Comments

• AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    Why not do a fresh install of whatever OS you're using? That will always work beter than removing shareware etc. You're going to spend an awful lot of time on copying that image while installing windows seven takes two hours at most. (installing applications and configuring is stuff you have to do anyway so that doesn't count)
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited February 2011
    This is a netbook, no cd drive.
  • edited February 2011
    That's great, but I'd also definitely go for the fresh install. You really won't regret it, honestly. And then there's the fun part of setting up a new system - something I love doing :D
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    This is a netbook, no cd drive.

I thought you said computer. :confused:
    edited February 2011
    I don't see how a fresh install would help much, considering the netbook already has a fresh copy of xp. (until I get a pc that has usb3 I'm not installing 7).
  • The ExplanationThe Explanation Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    I don't see how a fresh install would help much, considering the netbook already has a fresh copy of xp. (until I get a pc that has usb3 I'm not installing 7).

There's probably a lot of crapware on it though. Even if you uninstall it, your registry will still be compromised because of it.
    edited February 2011
    Meh, I'll run some registry cleaners then. Baku is a nice one.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    Windows XP?

DID YOU SAY WINDOWS XP???

I really don't understand why anybody would want to use that buggy, leaky POS OS on a new computer.

"Ooh, but it's sooooo light"
    True dat, it's a decade old and made to run on computers with 128 MB RAM. Why don't you use DOS? That's even lighter, and it's also completely useless.

"But it does everything I want it do do!"
    It can't even burn a friggin CD without needing a third party application. All security features in the Windows NT kernel are turned off in Windows XP. Hibernation is hidden because it doesn't work. Power management? Try power mismanagement. No such thing as user account control or defense against keyloggers. It's full of known unpatched exploits. It does not support the newest internet explorer (not that I use IE that much, but when microsoft won't even bother porting it's web browser to XP anymore I think it's time to let it go). It has no support for the newest hardware, and nobody is going to bother writing a driver.

Windows XP is like the 98 year old grandma who has died of a heart attack several times but is reanimated and gets a new pacemaker every single time because the fools in this world don't realise it's time to let her go.
    edited February 2011
    "But it does everything I want it do do!"
    It can't even burn a friggin CD without needing a third party application.

Lies, it supports native burning. Besides, I haven't touched a cd in 2 years anyway.

All security features in the Windows NT kernel are turned off in Windows XP.

Firefox + Noscript + Adblock + Flashblock ftw.

Hibernation is hidden because it doesn't work.

My ass it doesn't, I just used it last night.

Power management? Try power mismanagement.

Asus super hybrid engine does a fantastic job.

No such thing as user account control or defense against keyloggers.

UAC is fucking annoying, and I'm competent enough to browse the web safely.

It's full of known unpatched exploits. It does not support the newest internet explorer (not that I use IE that much, but when microsoft won't even bother porting it's web browser to XP anymore I think it's time to let it go).

Big whoop. I hate IE.

It has no support for the newest hardware, and nobody is going to bother writing a driver.

Ain't gonna be putting a PCIe card in a netbook anytime soon.

Windows XP is like the 98 year old grandma who has died of a heart attack several times but is reanimated and gets a new pacemaker every single time because the fools in this world don't realise it's time to let her go.

lol
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011

Which netbook did you get

I want to know also, which netbook did you get.

I have an Acer Asspire One D250, it kicks ass for what it is, I can play WoW on this thing. 8-10 hours battery life, small, light.

I am also running Debian though, windows is for teh fags.
    edited February 2011
    It's an EeePC 1101HAB
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    It's an EeePC 1101HAB

OOOOoooh.

You should upgrade.

See the other thread I just made.
    edited February 2011
    I got it for free. :mad:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    I got it for free. :mad:

Doesn't make it good. ;)
    edited February 2011
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited February 2011
    OK, you shouldn't run Windows Seven on it, you ned at least 2 GB RAM to run Windows 7 smoothly.

What you should do is run Linux on it.
    edited February 2011
    I have 2gb ram. You don't think I'd go around with only 1g did you? Besides, I'll need a light OS to run things like autodesk inventor and photoshop.
    edited February 2011
    What you need is a real computer.
    edited February 2011
    Then buy me one bitch. :mad:
    edited February 2011
    Then buy me one bitch. :mad:

I will make you the same deal I made my wife. (she got a new one for xmas)

Interested?