Any way to...

buddhabuddha Regular
edited March 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Get a new sub-forum, in the Great Outdoors forum. titled "...and Beyond", for things that involve space, space flight, and other planets?

Just a suggestion.

Thanks

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Is that not already catered for by Madscientists, or SotD or even Conspiracy... dependent on the level of anal probing? I associate The Great Outdoors with places I can in theory go to if I really want to. So if I what to talk about going to Mars and/or its environment (minus the probes) I'd go to MS, or Conspiracy (unlimited supply of probes). SotD is a touch more philosophical... perhaps the place to discuss why you'd be probed.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I am not talking about anything having to do with any sort of "probing"

Like what if I wanted to make a thread for discussing the new pics from the satellite in orbit around Mercury.

That surely doesn't fit in mad scientists, or its subs. It fits best in The Great Outdoors. But still not quite right. Hence the suggestion for the new sub-forum.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    I approve! Fucking love Space :D even made an "official Space appreciation thread" when off my pickle
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    We can do two things:
    A) Update the description to include space etc.
    B) Move your thread to Studio and have fun with it.
  • edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    I am not talking about anything having to do with any sort of "probing"

I wasn't expecting you to take the probing comments seriously. Anal probing is clearly no laughing matter for you.
    Like what if I wanted to make a thread for discussing the new pics from the satellite in orbit around Mercury.

That surely doesn't fit in mad scientists, or its subs. It fits best in The Great Outdoors. But still not quite right. Hence the suggestion for the new sub-forum.

So you think robotic space exploration belongs in the a sub-forum of a main forum that lists gardening and hiking in it's forum description, and whose existing subforums including topics like travel tips and pet care... rather than in the science forum.

In that case I agree... something isn't quite right. An astrophysics/astronomy/astrobiology etc... subforum of MadScientists would make more sense.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I wasn't expecting you to take the probing comments seriously. Anal probing is clearly no laughing matter for you.

Dude, serious business. No joke.

So you think robotic space exploration belongs in the a sub-forum of a main forum that lists gardening and hiking in it's forum description, and whose existing subforums including topics like travel tips and pet care... rather than in the science forum.

In that case I agree... something isn't quite right. An astrophysics/astronomy/astrobiology etc... subforum of MadScientists would make more sense.

I'm not talking about the robotics used in space exploration. That's like saying we should make "Gearheads" a sub forum under "tools we use to work on those cars", I talking about the end result of that exploration. The planets, stars, and solar systems other than our own. How and what we use to get the info on them is irrelevant. But to an extent should be included in the new sub-forum when the topic is more non technical, like when talking about the Cassini mission and not the probe itself.

Physics/astronomy/biology/robotics are all more scientific, so I would agree, they do belong in MS.
  • edited March 2011

I'm not talking about the robotics used in space exploration. That's like saying we should make "Gearheads" a sub forum under "tools we use to work on those cars", I talking about the end result of that exploration. The planets, stars, and solar systems other than our own. How and what we use to get the info on them is irrelevant. But to an extent should be included in the new sub-forum when the topic is more non technical, like when talking about the Cassini mission and not the probe itself.

Physics/astronomy/biology/robotics are all more scientific, so I would agree, they do belong in MS.

"How and what we use to get the info on them is irrelevant."

Quite, so stop band-wagoning on my use the word 'robotic' to avoid the real point, which is that astrophysics is what you are admittedly going to be talking about. That is a subject entirely out of keeping with a forum about going for long walks, planting carrots and feeding your cat.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    "How and what we use to get the info on them is irrelevant."

Quite, so stop band-wagoning on my use the word 'robotic' to avoid the real point, which is that astrophysics is what you are admittedly going to be talking about. That is a subject entirely out of keeping with a forum about going for long walks, planting carrots and feeding your cat.

Astrophysics, is nothing even close to what the sub-forum would be about, Astrophysics, simply physics, in space. How is that anyway related to "Hey guis check out these new photos of the ice found in the bottom of some craters on mercury" or "New nebulae discovered (pics)", Answer... it isn't.

And I'll say it again. IT DOESN'T BELONG IN TGO, hence the suggestion for a new sub forum.
  • edited March 2011
    Astrophysics, is nothing even close to what the sub-forum would be about, Astrophysics, simply physics, in space. How is that anyway related to "Hey guis check out these new photos of the ice found in the bottom of some craters on mercury" or "New nebulae discovered (pics)", Answer... it isn't.

Whether you can actually generate the brain power to talk about the physics behind the pictures is a moot point. The fact is pretty extraterrestial pictures have nothing to do with any of the content in TGO - see below.
    And I'll say it again. IT DOESN'T BELONG IN TGO, hence the suggestion for a new sub forum.

Subforums exist to preserve narrow-field conversation that whilst belonging to the general discussion within the parent forum, would be essentially lost in the parent forum's traffic... yet in spite of you conceding extrasolar exploration does not belong in TGO in the first place, you still want it there as a subtopic.

My logic chip just fused.

Unless as a shiny new mod you just want more traffic to your recently acquired forum with any conversation that happens to catch your eye, irrespective of whether it belongs there. Not that it will help you anyway - this site is far too small to have lots of niches that divide what precious little traffic there is.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Whether you can actually generate the brain power to talk about the physics behind the pictures is a moot point. The fact is pretty extraterrestial pictures have nothing to do with any of the content in TGO - see below.

Subforums exist to preserve narrow-field conversation that whilst belonging to the general discussion within the parent forum, would be essentially lost in the parent forum's traffic... yet in spite of you conceding extrasolar exploration does not belong in TGO in the first place, you still want it there as a subtopic.

My logic chip just fused.

Unless as a shiny new mod you just want more traffic to your recently acquired forum with any conversation that happens to catch your eye, irrespective of whether it belongs there. Not that it will help you anyway - this site is far too small to have lots of niches that divide what precious little traffic there is.

Obviously this is getting no where. So I'm done arguing with a troll. Who just proved he doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about anyways, since as you can see. I do not moderate TGO, so your argument is moot.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    ^ lol talk about someone trying to draw traffic.
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited March 2011
    this site is far too small to have lots of niches that divide what precious little traffic there is.

While adding an additional subforum may focus the topic directly, it would receive less attention than MS already does whilist providing more clutter to sort through.

It seems most logical to update the description thereof, refining what already umbrellas discussions concerning "Science and Mathematics".
  • edited March 2011
    Obviously this is getting no where. So I'm done arguing with a troll. Who just proved he doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about anyways, since as you can see. I do not moderate TGO, so your argument is moot.

Ah, so you don't, my apologies; I got you mixed up with another Anal Probe (Deluxe, mind you). Funny that.

And given that my argument hinges on this...

... I haven't lost shit. It is you who has spiked himself in his ass with his own contradictory reasoning and now withdraws, parting with a feeble accusation of trolling. Given your other [URL="http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=13247]public"][/url]public shenanigans I'm left wondering how long it'll be before you get dumped on the moderator compost heap.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011

He's not trolling dude, chill.
    He's saying that astronomy and its related fields have nothing to do with The Great Outdoors so it shouldn't be a subforum there. If anything, it would be a subforum of Mad Scientists. The majority of our subforums don't get much traffic anyway.
  • edited March 2011
    Grinch wrote: »
    While adding an additional subforum may focus the topic directly, it would receive less attention than MS already does whilist providing more clutter to sort through.

It seems most logical to update the description thereof, refining what already umbrellas discussions concerning "Science and Mathematics".

Sounds sensible to me.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    No more forums or sub forums. If something does not seem to fit into another forum, there's a place you can go.
    Spurious Generalities This is the general discussion and chat forum. People can discuss just about anything they want to in this area, providing it doesn't fit in one of the other forums and provided that it will bring conversation to the thread.
    That is a subject entirely out of keeping with a forum about going for long walks, planting carrots and feeding your cat.

Keep them coming like that please.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    A space forum would be cool.