Ancient hunting technique revealed by satellite photos

AnarchyMasterAnarchyMaster Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13123221

Shows how ancient humans used their brains to catch food.

Comments

• bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited April 2011
    Interesting fosho! I't amazing how many cultures did this. The NZ maori used a similar principle of shepherding moa (extinct big assed flightless bird. KFC on roids) into swamps where they'd bog down before slaughter. They did this because the moa could easily gut a person with those ninja drumsticks of theirs. Obviously not on the levels your post stipulates. But the concept was similar. The Japs and nors have been known to guide whales into shallow bays, for the slaughter. Then again, man more than likely stole the idea from pack hunting animals like lions, wolves, etc.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited April 2011
    Thats pretty cool. to think of how big that actually is is amazing. those fuckers had some cardio
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    I recall seeing Bear Grylls do something similar to this in his show. Like a funnel, he constructed a convergent passageway using branches and leaves to give it shape. Near the end of the funnel, he constructed some sort of spring/sling-loaded trap and he got the wild boar.

Amazing shit.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited April 2011
    ^^^ that reminds me of that movie apacalypica When the natives catch the tapir.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    The Mongols did something similar to this. It has been years since I read about it but basically the would drive every living thing before them on horse back in a giant crescent formation and slowly close it into a circle. Once the circle was closed they would kill everything in it.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    same method could be used in fishing small creek beds

i agree with my homeboy boozer, the aliens taught "us"

these methods :p
  • edited April 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    (extinct big assed flightless bird. KFC on roids)

Shit, you weren't kidding.
    Dinornithidae_SIZE_01.png
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    It's always fun to see what kind of contraptions the ancients used to capture food. This one's like a big version of fish traps that are still in use today.

Edit: just saw Harry mention it already :o

300px-Fish_Trap_BKG.png
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    Those fish traps are cool as shit. Not only that but if you were ever stranded in the wilderness you could set up a string of these easily in one afternoon.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, these types of hunting tecniques were (and still are to an extent) common. Across Northern Europe, it was not uncommon for game to be chased over cliffs - would you go up against a mamoth where your 8' spear would be lucky to get past its coat, or scare it into running over a cliff?

There is a documentary floating around on the net filmed in the '60's or '70's some where of a load Africans encircling many different types of game on a huge expanse of grassland. It was not unknown in years gone by for tribes who were mortal enemies to come together to encircle prey.

Man was given his brain power to find the easiest way to do things after all.
  • edited April 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    There is a documentary floating around on the net filmed in the '60's or '70's some where of a load Africans encircling many different types of game on a huge expanse of grassland.

Social evolution is an intriguing subject. In this case it's fascinating to see how ancient African hunting techniques have been adapted to modern urban centres.