Sleep Paralysis

edited September 2011 in Life
So this morning, I was in the middle of dreaming when a character in my dream told me to "wake up". This caused me to open my eyes IRL, which was a huge struggle and was very hard to do. Everything was extremely hazy, almost as if I was still in a dream, although I was definitely in my own room. I then noticed that I couldn't feel any part of my body... at all. I tried to move my arms, but it was actually like I didn't have any muscles at all. It was the WEIRDEST shit I have ever experienced, and if I didn't know exactly what was occurring, I think I'd have been pretty scared.

There wasn't really anything I could do other than close my eyes, lay there and keep calm. I think I eventually fell asleep a little later and had another lucid dream, before waking up again.

Has any one else experienced sleep paralysis before, and how did you cope with it?

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
  • edited April 2011
    I occasionally get it and have to mentally fight to get my arms moving first, then the rest follows: torso, then legs. I couldn't go back to sleep whilst paralyzed... I'd need to regain control of my body first before I could comfortably drift back off to sleep!
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    Your body is more or less paralysed while you sleep, and if you wake up during certain parts of your sleep, you may still be paralysed if your body hasn't had the chance to unparalyse itself. Nothing you can do other than to tell yourself to stay calm and you'll be free in a minute.
  • edited April 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Your body is more or less paralysed while you sleep, and if you wake up during certain parts of your sleep, you may still be paralysed if your body hasn't had the chance to unparalyse itself. Nothing you can do other than to tell yourself to stay calm and you'll be free in a minute.

Yeah, exactly :thumbsup: Some people find it scary though, probably due to not knowing about it or something. Plus, not being able to move is pretty worrying anyway, and we all know how hazy your judgments can be when you've just woken up. Anyway, I'm glad I've finally experienced this :)

Interestingly, when I tried to move my arms, I could almost visualize my arms moving in front of me. I assume this ties in with the mild hallucinations which you can apparently get when this is all happening.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I used to get it a LOT. Best thing you can do is ride with it. I used to have a grey lady come and sit on my chest, slowly strangling me. Was fucked.
  • edited April 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I used to get it a LOT. Best thing you can do is ride with it. I used to have a grey lady come and sit on my chest, slowly strangling me. Was fucked.

Holy shit, that's intense. Now I'm a little worried, and glad I didn't experience anything quite like that. Couldn't you change the outcome of the hallucinations or do they always have a mind of their own? It would be good to be able to make different things happen each time.

Sounds scary though, really.
    edited September 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Holy shit, that's intense. Now I'm a little worried, and glad I didn't experience anything quite like that. Couldn't you change the outcome of the hallucinations or do they always have a mind of their own? It would be good to be able to make different things happen each time.

Sounds scary though, really.

Sorry for bumping old threads but this stuff has really interested me lately. At the time I couldn't control it. I had no control over what was happening as I had never experienced it before.
    The episode was as clear as day (or night). My cat was lying on my legs and I was on my bottom bunk at the time I had one, and the clock was ticking on the wall in front of me. I woke up and was breathing, but could not shout for help. I kept trying (getting goosebumps now) and still no luck. I tried to hit the metal part of my bed or the floor to get attention, but as I looked up my door opened and a hooded grey woman (fuck, EPIC goosebumps now) came towards me and sat on my chest - and as I couldn't move, she was strangling me until I went back to sleep.

Fucking crazy stuff.
  • edited September 2011
    Have you had any other episodes since this time? If you have another one, remember to keep focused. Remind yourself that you're having a hallucination - just go with, as if you're tripping on drugs or whatever. If you fight it, you'll get scared but if you go with it, you'll be alright.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited September 2011
    I've experienced sleep paralysis twice in the past month, never having it happen prior.
    The first time it scared the shit out of me. The scariest part about it was that I could hear my own breathing, but couldn't control it at all and a sort of panic fell over me. Once I acknowledged what was happening and accepted it, I almost instantly regained control of myself. Still, weird as fuck.
    edited September 2011
    All of them were within about a year of one another, and I only kept them to myself or within my close circle of friends. I never bothered looking further until my Dad asked me if I had experienced it one day as he also gets it. He's convinced the house is haunted now.
    As for if I get it again, I can thank my psychedelic experiences for keeping me sane. You'll be surprised how much a mushroom has made me a spiritual person and how much it has got me through difficult times. What fascinates me though is how far back documents of Sleep Paralysis go. Right back to the Middle Ages when people thought it was a demon - much like the Ergot Fungus which would cause mass LSD-like effects when consumed in a village via bread. This sorta shit fascinates me. Not least this YouTube video where these people describe everything I experienced down to every last detail. I only just found it, but I had to look away as the experiences I had have shaken me to my core.

Also lol at the end "conducted over 9,000 experiments"