Antics of Forced Enthusiasm

GrinchGrinch Regular
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Where did this enthusiasm come from?

It just doesn’t seem right. I suppose I should start by stating that many of you have put in a lot of effort. While it goes appreciated (by some), it is also the part of the problem.

It seems as though many users are picking up “reviving Totse” as a cause, which they proceed to enthusiastically promote, attempting to encourage others to join, in a manner of forced content pledging to write an “article a month” among similar exploits.

At the risk of sounding trite, many of your hearts are in the right place in preservation of Totse’s name, although I don’t feel that this is the means through which to reach the desired ends with consideration to longevity. Honoring the Totse legacy is not concerned with bringing up the huffing of raid or some blockhead who stuck a highlighter up his ass.

Do you remember the time when someone hacked the traffic sign?
Totally, wait here, I have a screenshot of the article. :fap::fap::fap:

While such events may have been mildly entertaining at the time, it is rather pitiable to wear such brouhaha as a badge of honor.

Not many previously signed onto &T with the mindset of writing an article simply for the sake of doing so, backlogging enough content, to sufficiently call oneself the predecessor thereof.

I love my Totse, how bout you?
http://youtu.be/-ijkYkJfg0s
[size=-1](Fuck the youtube linking)[/size]

Now some are opting away from blatantly advocating such behavior as protection from coming off as desperate. A display of backpedaling that will only leave one with a foot in their mouth, attracting momentary nostalgic browsers at best.

Rather than working toward making a replica of & the Temple of the Screaming Electron, it seems the only way totse.info is going to thrive is by retaining the mindset one had when approaching &T, yet minding the distinction between the two, striving to define its own.

Not implying that there is some quota to be filled, or actions necessary to be taken to reach an "adequate level", those of totse.info should focus more on honoring &T yet doing so in the manner of homage rather than replication.

I have more that I could say on the topic, although am already late, apologies in advanced for rampant and convulsive articulation, although am interested in hearing others thoughts.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Rather than working toward making a replica of & the Temple of the Screaming Electron

We're not intending to do that. In fact, we want to create a new temple which doesn't fall into the same traps as the original &T or even Z. My pledge to create a guide a month is just because I feel that content is important :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Well, I got the same lecture from Meta and oddy. Although it was a bit different and more agressive, they did point out this. I did talk about it in the Community Driven or Run thread and I have to side with you on this. The minute I saw this thread title I thought it would be about us and after reading it, it's about us.

Totse.info isn't a clone or what you can call a copy of totse.com. Although we still stand divided on this issue but it would be nice if this was cleared.

Here is what I think, if we kept copying totse.com we won't be able to do something better or improve it. it seems whenever you try to modernize some elements you get a backlash from users who think that keeping oldschool all the way will help totse.info.

I am not naming anyone but you can see if I can't implement new features or make the place more friendlier in terms of new standard we will always be behind our goal. Some times being positive helps but keeping yourself blind to the real problems won't help us.

Mocking someone efforts of marketing or linking back just by calling it gay isn't going to help. You just don't go out and start blowing up things and call it the Totse.info way. That's not us, we actually can't do that honestly, since it's easy to get Totse.info taken offline thanks to the ecer increasing powers of USA.

It would be nice if we can come up with something unique and more totse.info exclusive. Adding a Niggers theme which basically is the future TRON theme is one step. We need to keep the core in place but expand ourself to be something else and more unique.

Just my two cents.

EDIT; Adding content doesn't hurt, since it basically shows that' we're being productive as a community and it helps users develop themselves and share knowledge.
  • DaGuruDaGuru Mite
    edited April 2011
    Great thread Grinch......and I believe you are touching on a couple of the issues I've been trying to get at for the last couple of years.

From my vantage point....there are two very separate eras of Totse. The first era being made up of people that went out and lived life, did extraordinary things (or at the very least quite a bit different)....logged on and reported about their actions. Whether in the form of a textfile or a post on a thread, you had a weird and eclectic bunch that could tell many a colorful tale about their adventures. :thumbsup:

Then you have the latter era.....those that never left their homes to do wild and whacky things and perverted Totse into just playing with/on the computer itself. That bunch turned the Totse experience into just sitting back in their basements..... and planning raids into other forums..... writing whatever script to make a new button, color or feature on your forum.... exchanging chatroom faggotries ad nauesum...... photo shopping pictures.... exploiting people's personal information...... doing graffiti drawball projects..... or other very dull, uninspiring, and just plain mundane shit that only other computer geeks would find to be even remotely "cool" or "entertaining" in the grand scheme of life. :thumbsdown:

2 vastly different eras of what constitutes "fun"......most importantly a good commentary of just what era will DRAW IN MORE USERS. Its no accident that THIS recent era of Totsean has made such a mess of things, mostly because people have made it a sport to go after each other and fuck with each other IRL. As long as you have people that still believe the Totse experience "is about"....trying your damndest to harvest your fellow member's personal info, and then ruin people's lives as some kind of sport, then you'll never have the old school Totsean coming back to discuss their lives and crazy adventures.

In turn Totse never will be very big, interesting, or successful in any way.....because sitting in front of a box and making THAT your life, really is no life at all....and there is hardly anything communal about only having a format to do nothing more than just try to out stupid or out techy the other. :(

Less focus on all the computer bullshit stuff behind the scenes, and more focus on going out and living a whimsical life...and then reporting back to us about the fun and frollicking you just experienced.

But first you have to create an arena where people have the CONFIDENCE to post about their exploits....and unfortunately it will still take much time, blood and tears to get to that point, and only IF the right moves are made in accordance with what is best for the greater good of this community. :cool:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    DaGuru wrote: »
    Great thread Grinch......and I believe you are touching on a couple of the issues I've been trying to get at for the last couple of years.

From my vantage point....there are two very separate eras of Totse. The first era being made up of people that went out and lived life, did extraordinary things (or at the very least quite a bit different)....logged on and reported about their actions. Whether in the form of a textfile or a post on a thread, you had a weird and eclectic bunch that could tell many a colorful tale about their adventures. :thumbsup:

Then you have the latter era.....those that never left their homes to do wild and whacky things and perverted Totse into just playing with/on the computer itself. That bunch turned the Totse experience into just sitting back in their basements..... and planning raids into other forums..... writing whatever script to make a new button, color or feature on your forum.... exchanging chatroom faggotries ad nauesum...... photo shopping pictures.... exploiting people's personal information...... doing graffiti drawball projects..... or other very dull, uninspiring, and just plain mundane shit that only other computer geeks would find to be even remotely "cool" or "entertaining" in the grand scheme of life. :thumbsdown:

2 vastly different eras of what constitutes "fun"......most importantly a good commentary of just what era will DRAW IN MORE USERS. Its no accident that THIS recent era of Totsean has made such a mess of things, mostly because people have made it a sport to go after each other and fuck with each other IRL. As long as you have people that still believe the Totse experience "is about"....trying your damndest to harvest your fellow member's personal info, and then ruin people's lives as some kind of sport, then you'll never have the old school Totsean coming back to discuss their lives and crazy adventures.

In turn Totse never will be very big, interesting, or successful in any way.....because sitting in front of a box and making THAT your life, really is no life at all....and there is hardly anything communal about only having a format to do nothing more than just try to out stupid or out techy the other. :(

Less focus on all the computer bullshit stuff behind the scenes, and more focus on going out and living a whimsical life...and then reporting back to us about the fun and frollicking you just experienced.

But first you have to create an arena where people have the CONFIDENCE to post about their exploits....and unfortunately it will still take much time, blood and tears to get to that point, and only IF the right moves are made in accordance with what is best for the greater good of this community. :cool:

:eek:

Another quality post by DG. You pretty much nailed the problem down. I am a mixture of above but the only reason I can't report what I do IRL is the stupid law in Pakistan. But you're right, we're mostly stuck with users who tend to use computers more and have less social life. I think it would be a wise idea to pay some attention to that problem as well. I mean some new users who already do these things could become some potential contributors here. Like photographers, writers etc.

I am already working on one Child Author, I read her three books and I am sure if I worked a bit hard, she will join here. But the main problem still remains, what about the other users? I mean those people don't like getting treated like shit or they don't enjoy some idiot mocking them all the time.
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited April 2011
    Great thread Grinch......

...In turn Totse never will be very big, interesting, or successful in any way.....because sitting in front of a box and making THAT your life, really is no life at all....and there is hardly anything communal about only having a format to do nothing more than just try to out stupid or out techy the other. :(

From here I agree entirely with your post. There were several points I agreed with before, but alot I also disagreed with, for me personally. However, what your saying here, IMO is the right way to get .info on track. The experience stories you talk about are here, sadly though they are few and far between.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    It's the changing attitudes of society at work. Nobody ever does shit anymore. Simple example is as a kid, I went to the park all the time to play, but nowadays whenever I pass by a park, it's almost empty. Increasing amounts and increasing simplicity of technology keeps people inside, so now we have a split between people who actually know and do stuff and people who don't know anything. I'm pretty much standing right on the borderline. Unless this direction is reversed, there's nothing much you can do.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited April 2011
    This is TL;DR right now but I have to stop by and mention that there is a fine line between dedication and being a tryhard.
  • DaGuruDaGuru Mite
    edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    But the main problem still remains, what about the other users? I mean those people don't like getting treated like shit or they don't enjoy some idiot mocking them all the time.

It goes beyond just mocking or flaming though, man....I'm talking people legitimately going after each other IRL. Hypothetical scenario to make my point....

Let's say I get hassled by whatever cop during the day, and have whatever crazy story to tell Totse. Back in the 90's or early 2000's...I could have come on Totse and spilled my guts, and with enough care or intiative my fellow Totseans might have even raped that cop or the department with whatever scheme to fuck with them. It would inspire people to post their life stories, because there WAS some form of camraderie....and if anything your fellow Totsean had your back.

Nowadays, wanting to post on Totse? Well, if I shared any kind of drug knowledge on the boards trying to help past Totseans....and then another time I pissed of the wrong staff member with access to IP's or other personal information that could lead a trail to my door....and I now post about whatever incident....some little no life twerp could end up contacting authorities while putting all the pieces together and pushing child services on my ass or whatever other ugliness the cops could manipulate.

I'm supposed to risk all of that...for Totse growth/pride/whatever? :confused:

Sorry, but until this place is more of a haven for like minded individuals not out to be predatory chickenshits towards one another (read: pay a price for their real life contributions)....then myself and so many other Totseans that DO live colorful/crazy/interesting lives will continue to talk about nothing more than the weather, movies or mundane forum politics.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    It goes beyond just mocking or flaming though, man....I'm talking people legitimately going after each other IRL. Hypothetical scenario to make my point....

Let's say I get hassled by whatever cop during the day, and have whatever crazy story to tell Totse. Back in the 90's or early 2000's...I could have come on Totse and spilled my guts, and with enough care or intiative my fellow Totseans might have even raped that cop or the department with whatever scheme to fuck with them. It would inspire people to post their life stories, because there WAS some form of camraderie....and if anything your fellow Totsean had your back.

Nowadays, wanting to post on Totse? Well, if I shared any kind of drug knowledge on the boards trying to help past Totseans....and then another time I pissed of the wrong staff member with access to IP's or other personal information that could lead a trail to my door....and I now post about whatever incident....some little no life twerp could end up contacting authorities while putting all the pieces together and pushing child services on my ass or whatever other ugliness the cops could manipulate.

I'm supposed to risk all of that...for Totse growth/pride/whatever? :confused:

Sorry, but until this place is more of a haven for like minded individuals not out to be predatory chickenshits towards one another (read: pay a price for their real life contributions)....then myself and so many other Totseans that DO live colorful/crazy/interesting lives will continue to talk about nothing more than the weather, movies or mundane forum politics.

Well hopefully one day we will reach that goal as well :). Thanks for sharing.
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited April 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    My pledge to create a guide a month is just because I feel that content is important :)
    Dfg wrote: »
    Adding content doesn't hurt, since it basically shows that' we're being productive as a community and it helps users develop themselves and share knowledge.

I would like to reiterate that I am not against the writing of articles, rather I encourage it, under the circumstances that it is written with the appropriate motives.

I am very much in favor of spreading information and a communal sharing of knowledge, although if created in a procedural in comparison to an arbitrary manner, the content at hand can turn to more ritualistic and less passionate, as a result.

One's intentions behind writing an article should not be to attract new members. Call me daft, although ideally, the primal focus of said author should be quality, and hopefully further information or stories to come from the community in reciprocation. I'm not talking about comments ending in substance at "Great article! :thumbsup:".

Although looking back at CMS Central there does appear to be some quality conversations in result of some guides posted.
    living a whimsical life...and then reporting back to us about the fun and frollicking you just experienced.

The drive behind the existence of Totse should not be the desire to attract and obtain new members. As stated, I was attracted by reading of others escapades and learning from them, encouraging me in my own way.

I have recently read through a few guides posted, while many are of quality (good work by the way), some of the topics concerning give the impression of being written simply to be written. I don't feel that everyone consciously has it in their mind to do so, but if one has to search within their mind alongside the absent desire to write an article, the resulting content will ultimately read as forced.

Content is good, although a library of passionless content composed in a routine manner adds minimal substance to the site.
    Jack wrote: »
    there is a fine line between dedication and being a tryhard.

In short I agree with this, although quality is highly dependent upon the intentions of one's dedication. The issue that I am trying to raise primarily focuses on one's intentions when adding content. Promotion of the site and the addition of new members are not motives that will attract quality reciprocation.

If sights are focused more on quality, backed by personal interest and experience, I would hope that the attraction be of like-minded individuals who come bearing their own personal interest in the topic, to be exposed to topics of a similar nature, or a means through which they feel comfortable expressing their own experiences.

Amongst all of this rambling I suppose part of what I am advocating concerns submitting content of a personal interest, not in the mere collection of an abundance of content.