Ghetto lap top cooler [Published]

dr rockerdr rocker Regular
edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
After this thread, where I asked should I make a laptop cooler, I did as recomended - took it all to bits, cleaned everything and put the stuff back together where new heat transfer pasted was needed. It made no noticable difference other thna I must have bent my keyboard when putting the laptop back together as the keys F3, E, D and C do not work. Fuck it, I have a USB keyboard.

But today, the laptop decided it would rather be switched off. Twice. The time came for action. I had been planning on makding something with MDF, but as my jigsaw is in my lockup a couple of miles away, I decided to make it with tape, cardboard and some case fans I had kicking around.

Power is supplied from a USB port - I chopped the lead from a mouse - it had 4 wires in it, guessed it was the black and red that carried power and so I could hook those to the power lead for the case fans.

I started off by drawing around the fans and cutting out of the box, leaving the corners in - you may be just able to see I have scored them so they will fold to fit and hold the fan.

16jeh6d.jpg

I was going to use mechano to hold the fans, but the cardboard was rigid enough and then with the tape it was fine. I also taped all seams and edges so air would not be getting sucked / pushed from where it should not be.

The case fans had 3 wires going to a small block that an adapter connected two that gave 2 wires. With one of the case fans, I pulled the wires frmo the small block and manages to push them into the other block - so six wires where 3 were and I could power both fans.

I then cut a hole in one side of the box with the fans in - the opposite side and replicated those holes on a flat box tray.

The two boxes were then taped together and the power wires from the fans connected to the old USB mouse lead.

Computer is running about 20C lower now. It does look like an accident at a communist power station however.

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited May 2011
    That is pretty nifty.
  • edited May 2011
    That is SO badass! Props for actually making this dude, it's much better than the game cartridges which I used to shove under my laptop :facepalm:
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    It does need more juice. I had it propped up on a bit of bent playstation 2 chasis with a 7v fan from the PS2 blowing under it and the USB port just seemed to power that.

Both of the fans are 12v - most USB's put out around 5v. Some thing will probably get cooked, be it the old mouse wire frm the USB, the USB itself.

I will rig up an external power source - I must have a 12v charger from something. I am sure a car battery would run them for a good while.
  • lampylampy Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    Whoa this looks great, made props for putting it together. I could totally use something like this for my laptop. Yea a car battery would probably keep it running for a while
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    A car battery would power those fans for fucking ages
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited May 2011
    I use freezer pops cuz ima lazzy ass. lol you know those ones in the plastic tubes, ya grape cools my puter faster lol
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    I use freezer pops cuz ima lazzy ass. lol you know those ones in the plastic tubes, ya grape cools my puter faster lol

I was also using freezer packs to keep it cold - those things you put in a cool bag to keep it cool. I thought it was getting a bit stupid so I went one stupider.
  • MunkeyQMunkeyQ Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Both of the fans are 12v - most USB's put out around 5v. Some thing will probably get cooked, be it the old mouse wire frm the USB, the USB itself.
    Nothing will get cooked if you try to run a 12v fan off a 5v USB port. Only thing that'll happen is that the fan will run sloooow.

You can salvage 5v fans from old network switches, or run the existing 12v ones from a charger as you mentioned...anything up to about 15v will be fine, although it'll sound like a fighter jet taking off.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    MunkeyQ wrote: »
    Nothing will get cooked if you try to run a 12v fan off a 5v USB port. Only thing that'll happen is that the fan will run sloooow.

You can salvage 5v fans from old network switches, or run the existing 12v ones from a charger as you mentioned...anything up to about 15v will be fine, although it'll sound like a fighter jet taking off.

Dude, I have been waiting for ages to see you here. Honestly, I missed you. Thanks for visiting this small island. <3
  • MunkeyQMunkeyQ Semo-Regulars
    edited May 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Dude, I have been waiting for ages to see you here. Honestly, I missed you. Thanks for visiting this small island. <3
    Cheers...there's no reason why Zoklet and .info can't co-exist peacefully.

Only things that put me off this place is the inexplicable resentment towards a website (Zoklet) by those with no lives and the disturbing text files...
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    I was also using freezer packs to keep it cold - those things you put in a cool bag to keep it cool. I thought it was getting a bit stupid so I went one stupider.

I was and am using Those posicles in a tube to cool my laptop, then when my laptop melts t hem then i get a cool drink b4 my laptop dies lol :thumbsdown::thumbsup:
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited May 2011
    Munky bro!!! :eek:
    I agree with your statement & always stipulated it. :cool:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011

Only things that put me off this place is the inexplicable resentment towards a website (Zoklet) by those with no lives and the disturbing text files...

I wrote some of those distrubing text files.

:fap: