Shortwave Receiver

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited August 2011 in Life
In this thread I am going to talk about the two shortwave receivers I currently own. The first is a Sony ICF-SW11 12 band radio. It does longwave from 160 to 270 KHz, AM band from 530 to 1600 KHz, Shortwave in 12 bands covering 4.75-5.15 MHZ, 5.85 to 6.30 MHz, 7.05 to 7.50 MHz, 9.40 to 10.10 MHz, 11.55 to 12.40 MHz, 13.45 to 14.10 MHz, 15.05 to 16 MHz, 17.4 to 18.15 MHz and 21.35 to 22.15 MHz as well as the FM broadcast band. It is good for international broadcast reception but since it cannot receive SSB that's all its good for.

My second receiver is a Realistic DX-300 which in the US is under the radio shack branding from what I recall. I got it for cheap and it does SSB so its good for now but when I have the cash I will buy something better. It covers from 10 KHz to 30 MHz and is a good little receiver, It was a cunt to tune to start with as it is a Waldley Loop based receiver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadley_Loop although once you get the hang of tuning it, it works well. The only modification I will make is adding a removable AC mains cord as it pisses me off having it permanently attached when I go and sit in my paddock with it, a car battery and my portable 40 meter dipole and DX overseas stations far away from the radio noise from my house. For a cheap receiver it does DX remarkably well.

Pics

SAM_0825.jpg

SAM_0830.jpg

SAM_0836.jpg
[h=1][/h]

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    I have an MSI Digital TV Satellite Card and it supports Digital Audio in other words, it can use SAT Radio. I am not a fan of Radio but I should to listen to AM-FM stations in the night and I would receive BBC channels on AM. It was back in 2005 or later. Right now, I have a Sony FH-424R System attached to my computer, it's ancient but it's quite powerful. It has FM/AM and it has 25 station presets. Unfortunately it doesn't work now but back in it's Glory days, I used to listen to different channels.

I am not an electronic dude otherwise I might have gone into radio love making but thanks for sharing things. It kinda helps me learn something new.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    I have an MSI Digital TV Satellite Card and it supports Digital Audio in other words, it can use SAT Radio. I am not a fan of Radio but I should to listen to AM-FM stations in the night and I would receive BBC channels on AM. It was back in 2005 or later. Right now, I have a Sony FH-424R System attached to my computer, it's ancient but it's quite powerful. It has FM/AM and it has 25 station presets. Unfortunately it doesn't work now but back in it's Glory days, I used to listen to different channels.

I am not an electronic dude otherwise I might have gone into radio love making but thanks for sharing things. It kinda helps me learn something new.

I'm working on some guides covering electronics and radio for DIY, as these two areas are where most of my knowledge and experience are. 13579 has knowledge in other areas of DIY which is why I think there is good coverage of DIY topics in this forum. If we can increase traffic in here with more content (which I intend on doing in the next few days) I will be happy.