The GREATEST MOVIES of ALL TIME

Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
edited July 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Yea, that type of thread. I got two movies to put up as the first entries ITT.

Casablanca- A WWII period piece made in 1942, detailing the escape of a fearless journalist and his wife from the clutches of Hitler's Nazi war machine. Facing capture and relocation to a Nazi concentration camp, it seems that no body can aid them until a local bar keep steps into the picture with two visas which will guarantee them safe arrival in America. However; a shadowy past shared between the bar keep "Rick" (Humphrey Bogart) and the journalist's wife (Ingrid Bergman) might complicate matters.

Raging Bull- Jake La Motta's violent and sadomasochistic tendencies know no bounds; exceeding the boundaries of the boxing ring, his rage and passion end up destroying every facet of his personal life, reducing him to a shell of what had been. The story of the great heavyweight champion, Jake La Motta (Ft. Robert de Niro and directed by Martin Scorsese).

Comments

• SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    I like movies with a bit of substance. I can't say these are the best movies of all time (I can't say I've seen a whole lot of movies)

Some of my personal favourites include:

El Laberinto Del Fauno (English: Pan's Labyrinth)
    "In 1944 fascist Spain, a girl, fascinated with fairy-tales, is sent along with her pregnant mother to live with her new stepfather, a ruthless captain of the Spanish army. During the night, she meets a fairy who takes her to an old faun in the center of the labyrinth. He tells her she's a princess, but must prove her royalty by surviving three gruesome tasks. If she fails, she will never prove herself to be the the true princess and will never see her real father, the king, again."

In Bruges
    "Hit men Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson, Harry Potter ) have been ordered to cool their heels in the storybook city of Bruges (it's in Belgium) after finishing a big job. But since hit men make the worst tourists, they soon find themselves in a life and death struggle of comic proportions against one very angry crime boss (Ralph Fiennes)"
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Birdemic

Troll 2

Dune 2

Giant octopus vs mega shark
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2010
    "A Clockwork Orange"-a 1971 darkly satirical science fiction film adaptation of Anthony Burgess's 1962 novel A Clockwork Orange. The film concerns Alex (Malcolm McDowell), a charismatic, psychopathic delinquent whose pleasures are classical music (especially Beethoven), rape, and ultra-violence. He leads a small gang of thugs (Pete, Georgie, and Dim), whom he calls his droogs (from the Russian друг, “friend”, “buddy”). The film tells the horrific crime spree of his gang, his capture, and attempted rehabilitation via a controversial psychological conditioning technique
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited July 2010
    The Godfather (Parts 1 & 2)

King Kong (Original)

Dracula

Citizen Kane (Haven't actually seen it but I've heard its absolutely fantastic)
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    City of God
    Apocalypse Now
    Bonnie and Clyde
    Jaws
    Psycho
    Taxi Driver
  • edited July 2010
    The Seventh Seal
    The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Seven Pounds
    Seven Beauties
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    7: 35 in the Morning
    Seven Years in Tibet
    The Seventh Sign
    Seventh Heaven
    The Seven Year Itch
    7 Seconds
    The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao
    7 Women
    Seven Up!
    Se7en
  • TLVTLV Regular
    edited July 2010
    Reservoir Dogs
    A History of Violence
  • edited July 2010
    Fight Club- Just reminds me of Totse.

Gran Torinio- Old Korean war vet (Clint Eastwood) interacts with a new culture of people moving in.

Zero Day- A very realistic documentary of two school shooters.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited July 2010
    The Seventh Seal
    The Seven Samurai
    The Magnificent Seven
    Seven Pounds
    Seven Beauties
    Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
    7: 35 in the Morning
    Seven Years in Tibet
    The Seventh Sign
    Seventh Heaven
    The Seven Year Itch
    7 Seconds
    The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao
    7 Women
    Seven Up!
    Se7en

Damn that's ridiculous. Never knew there were that many movies with seven.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited July 2010
    Fucking "Aliens".
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    TLV wrote: »
    Reservoir Dogs
    A History of Violence

Great fucking movie. I still havent seen a few parts of it but none the less its amazing.

Mine is Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy hands down.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited July 2010
    Snakes on a plane.