Eight More Days Till Halloween

juggjugg Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I'm off here for Halloween with an old &ToTSEan and a few mates. Oh, and at a Strip Club on the Friday. Hope it doesn't turn into a Titty Twister bar due to it being Halloween and every stripper turns into a vampire.

This was the advert for last years event.
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
    we dont have halloween ... what is it for anyway???
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    jehsiboi wrote: »
    we dont have halloween ... what is it for anyway???

We have Halloween in the UK. As I understand it, it's a celebration tradition dating back to the days when we used to deport our criminals to the penal colonies.

You don't have Halloween, where are you from?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Halloween is a western evolution of the pagan celebration of Samhain (pronounced sow-een) which is a celebration of a Gaelic harvest festival held on October 31–November 1. It was linked to festivals held around the same time in other Celtic cultures, and was popularised as the "Celtic New Year" from the late 19th century. The date of Samhain was associated with the Catholic All Saints' Day (and later All Souls' Day) from at least the 8th century, and both the secular Gaelic and the Catholic liturgical festival have influenced the secular customs now connected with Halloween.

In essence was thought of as a time when the veil between the world of the living and the spirit world was thinnest. In order to protect themselves from evil spirits people would wear scary costumes to fool evil spirits into thinking they too were evil spirits so the spirits would pay them no mind. Today, in the west it has become known as Halloween (All Hollows Eve) and is a time when children dress in costume and go door to door to receive candy and treats from the residents. This is why it is also known as Trick or Treat.
    edited October 2011
    Halloween is a western evolution of the pagan celebration of Samhain (pronounced sow-een) which is a celebration of a Gaelic harvest festival held on October 31–November 1. It was linked to festivals held around the same time in other Celtic cultures, and was popularised as the "Celtic New Year" from the late 19th century. The date of Samhain was associated with the Catholic All Saints' Day (and later All Souls' Day) from at least the 8th century, and both the secular Gaelic and the Catholic liturgical festival have influenced the secular customs now connected with Halloween.

In essence was thought of as a time when the veil between the world of the living and the spirit world was thinnest. In order to protect themselves from evil spirits people would wear scary costumes to fool evil spirits into thinking they too were evil spirits so the spirits would pay them no mind. Today, in the west it has become known as Halloween (All Hollows Eve) and is a time when children dress in costume and go door to door to receive candy and treats from the residents. This is why it is also known as Trick or Treat.

Yeah, that's the technical explanation, In the UK we just deported the evil spirits.
    edited October 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    We have Halloween in the UK. As I understand it, it's a celebration tradition dating back to the days when we used to deport our criminals to the penal colonies.

You don't have Halloween, where are you from?

I hope nothing happens to your precious queen while she's here...

I'm 8th generation Australian and proud of my convict stock ...

ontopic: so its about as bastardised as christmas & easter
    edited October 2011
    Ah, she's only here for the Tourists, so for their sake I hope she's alright ;)
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011

Yes exactly
    edited October 2011
    I hope nothing happens to your precious queen while she's here...

I'm 8th generation Australian and proud of my convict stock ...

Ahhh.......Oops.......you know I was joking right hahaha
    edited October 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Ah, she's only here for the Tourists, so for their sake I hope she's alright ;)

did you see that the bitch gillard gave her a hand shake and didnt curtsy ... i hate that ranga cunt but you have to give credit where credit is due
    edited October 2011
    did you see that the bitch gillard gave her a hand shake and didnt curtsy ... i hate that ranga cunt but you have to give credit where credit is due

In all honesty, no. I don't really think much of the Monarchy and tend to pay more interest where it's due to the News (no offence to your interests). Will have a look now though.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011

Ed Zackery
  • edited October 2011
    Can we get ourselves a Totse Halloween theme for the day? I propose a simple color change (dark background, lots of green text and pumpkins and shit) :D Would be quite fun. I love Halloween simply because every year, I get on TF2 and play some themed maps and grab some achievements with my buddies. Gotta love it.