Arma The Association for Renaissance Martial Arts.

juggjugg Regular
edited November 2011 in Man Cave
In another thread Arkansan posted a link to a website called ARMA. Its basically about medieval form's of martial arts and combat. I looked at the site and it was very interesting. There are a bunch of different manuals there from Viking Norse sagas around the 12Th century to 18Th century fencing manuals. From what I can gather they actually get to gather and train this way. It looks like a blast.

I have to admit that until today I never realized that there were allot of martial art techniques going on during the medieval times. I knew they trained but I didn't even give the thought that there was a whole lot of technique behind what they did.facepal.gif

I guess you learn something new every day. Very cool stuff, and I'm glad I was brought to the site.

http://www.thearma.org/

<a href="http://www.thearma.org/"&gt;

<a href="http://www.thearma.org/"&gt;

Comments

• ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2011
    There is a lot of cool stuff going on these days in the historical European martial arts scene. When I first heard of the arma and groups like it I was blown away by how much technique was involved in combat in the mid ages, I too never really stopped and thought that there might have been a lot of sophistication going on back then, I always pictured it as large sweaty dudes in chain and plate whacking away at each other. There are several other organizations out there on the same page as the arma if memory serves, if you look around a bit you might be able to find a training group near you, hell I found one near where I live and I live in the asshole of nowhere, the good thing about these kinds of groups is that dues are usually very affordable and its a labor of love reconstructing these arts for them so they are typically excited to see new people interested in what they are doing.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Great find mate! Another martial art long lost is called Bartitsu, often mentioned in Sir Arthur Conan Doyles Sherlock Holmes books. It was the first martial art to combine Eastern and Western martial arts in what was the first mixed martial arts style, combining boxing, wrestling, fencing, savate, and Jujistu. Its being revived, and is often termed 'The Gentlemans martial art.

A more humourous explenation:

However, it is being revived. Have a look at more videos to see what it's like nowadays.
    edited November 2011
    Bartitsu is good stuff, I bought both of the compendiums that the bartitsu society put out, really interesting look into Victorian era martial arts as a whole, Ive tried to get a Bartitsu club started in my area but no success so far.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Never heard of this either, but I never heard of Silat awhile back either. So much to learn so little time.
    edited November 2011
    It's amazing to me how much there is to western martial arts. Growing up when I thought martial arts I thought eastern arts, Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Kung fu and the like, I grew up around Boxing but it was always something different in my mind. Then about 5 years or so ago I started researching the history and development of boxing and just sort of stumbled into the western martial arts scene, It's been a fascination since, though in the past my focus has been admittedly more biased towards unarmed stuff, it's only been the last year and a half that I have had any interest in weapons work. Unfortunately most martial artists in my area aren't really aware of western martial arts so other than home training and a short lived classical pugilism group my research into it has been mostly academic.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    I was the same way until I sparred with a college wrestler. He gave me fits, and I found out 90% of what I spent years learning was worthless. What state do you live in? I'm sure there are people doing all kinds of stuff you just need to have the network to find them. That' kinda of what I would like to see start here. A network of all kind of martial artists looking for different people to work out with and learn different stuff. I know quite a large group of people I might be able to help your search.
    edited November 2011
    I live in Arkansas, but unfortunately I'm located a good ways from the capital, which is the only place in this state I know with a significant enough population to have that many martial artists in general. I like the your idea of a network though, I've always learned the most when taking an ass kicking from someone with an unfamiliar style. Right this second my biggest obstacle in general is just time, between school, work, and a shitty car most of my free time is occupied.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Ok I will look and see who I can find in your state. If I can find anything I will post it here for you.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Malmo Martial Arts is the only school in Arkansas licensed to represent the International Philippine Martial Arts Federation (IPMAF) and the arts of Kombatan, Mano Mano, and Dumog as taught by Grandmaster Ernesto Amador Presas.

This one is in bentonville. I dont know if thats close to you

source

Frank Garza
    I teach a base of Kenpo karate and then add the Escrima/Silat/Kuntao once I think a student is ready for it. In fact I just got back from spending a couple of days in Colorado training with Bob Orlando.

I dont know this man personally, but I know of Bob Orlando and hes pretty good. Heres his emaill address. He says Hes in little rock.
    Email me at [email protected]

Ill keep looking for you. I also know where to get some good dvd's for home study. If your interested more in that.
    edited November 2011
    Thank you very much for your help, I think that given my general state of affairs right that dvd's would probably be the better option for me, it's not the same as an actual class of course but I have seen dvd's before that were good enough to get some real benefit from.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    ok let me call a couple of people and see what I can get going for you. I have to see if the people I know are still selling their stuff.
    edited November 2011
    Cool, once again thanks a ton.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Ok here is a decent guy to get some good stuff at a good price.

His name is Dan Donzella

[email protected]

Tell him Aaron sent you. Here are some free stuff he puts on youtube

I have met him personally, and he is good. He is very fair in pricing as well. The videos I posted are just samples. I'm sure if you send him a email you will be able to work something. If you can get enough people together he will do seminars also.

I have a few other guys i'm looking into but I need to contact them first to make sure they are ok with posting their info.
    edited November 2011
    Wow, thanks man. I should be into some extra cash soon so I will be sure to send him an email.