Fucking old men when I'm doing their work for their money they want MY knowledge

MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
As some of you may know, I repair the no. I get a lot of old men calling with computer trouble and they want me to repair their no's.

Usually it's something simple, like a virus or they want their shit backed up or they put some precious document in the recycle bin. So as I'm working I get a fuckload of "what's this do" and "what are you doing now" and "It's cold in here can you turn up the heat". No you old coot, this is MY house. You can go home while I do the work and pick your no up on Thursday, like we agreed upon. And it's not cold in here so I don't know what the hell you're on about.

Sometimes they have the gull to call me up a week from then when they fucked up their computers even further, just to say how they don't need my help and thank me for learning them something. Well thanks for taking away business. Old ladys are nice though. I once got overpaid by like $50 when repairing an old lady.

Comments

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    I would say you need to learn from this experience. I'm a tradesman, and I don't pass the knowledge of my trade on to customers. I want then to ring me up again the next time they need something doing and pay me again. It's called repeat business. I'd say I'm to busy to do it now, but leave it with me and I'll ring you when it's ready. Or if they are pumping you for information, explain it badly using as much technical jargon as you can. In the end they will leave you to it and pay you.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited November 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    I would say you need to learn from this experience. I'm a tradesman, and I don't pass the knowledge of my trade on to customers. I want then to ring me up again the next time they need something doing and pay me again. It's called repeat business. I'd say I'm to busy to do it now, but leave it with me and I'll ring you when it's ready. Or if they are pumping you for information, explain it badly using as much technical jargon as you can. In the end they will leave you to it and pay you.

That's usually what I do. Or I say "It's loading, and will take a while.".

Still annoys me like hell though.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Those old men are wiley buggers. you gotta watch them. I should know........being one hehe
  • edited November 2011
    Sounds like you need to move up the value chain sir.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    Naw, I went into a music shop once to get some loose connections soldered back together on my guitar. He said it would be twenty dollars, twenty dollars for less than five minutes work, absolutely no parts needed, ? But I said ok, but you have to let me watch you. The fucker agrees and then hovers over my guitar, every time I try to get a good look he moves in front of me, so I told him to shove it up his ass. I was upfront about what I was expecting, if that wasn't ok with him he should have said so. You don't need to explain what you are doing, but if I am overpaying you to do something, you better believe I'm going to watch. Especially with music, concealing wanted information is a capital offense.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    ^ 20 bucks to re solder something. Fuck i would do it for nothing, if its small its not worth my while to charge for it.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    lol did my post get deleted
  • BurnBurn Regular
    edited November 2011
    Osiris wrote: »
    Naw, I went into a music shop once to get some loose connections soldered back together on my guitar. He said it would be twenty dollars, twenty dollars for less than five minutes work, absolutely no parts needed, ? But I said ok, but you have to let me watch you. The fucker agrees and then hovers over my guitar, every time I try to get a good look he moves in front of me, so I told him to shove it up his ass. I was upfront about what I was expecting, if that wasn't ok with him he should have said so. You don't need to explain what you are doing, but if I am overpaying you to do something, you better believe I'm going to watch. Especially with music, concealing wanted information is a capital offense.

Was it the input jack? I fucked my input jack on my Dean ML, and it was fucked more than just a simple solder job, and cost $20 for a new input jack.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    An input jack is like $1.95 at Radioshack.

To op, maybe you should focus on being more likable. And plant trojans in their computers so you can have customers on will-call. Just sabotage something simple, like jacking up a registry key, or deleting a critical system file. Make sure you do it when there is something in the news about Russian Hackers, or the Patriot Act, or a Meteor Shower. Old people don't know any better.
  • OsirisOsiris Acolyte
    edited November 2011
    The input jack came loose and I screwed it back in, this happened frequently, eventually the wires became twisted enough to break and they just needed to be trimmed and connected again.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    Osiris wrote: »
    The input jack came loose and I screwed it back in, this happened frequently, eventually the wires became twisted enough to break and they just needed to be trimmed and connected again.

You remedy that issue in utero with a bit of loctite, a 9/16" or 1/2" ratchet, and a pair of pliers. Takes about 80 seconds.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    No posts were deleted thy were move and only MoMT Posts.