Must Have Applications

13371337 Regular
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
1. Adium - A multi service chat client that allows use of many popular instant messaging networks.

2. Quicksilver - An application launcher with many added features. It's a great way to keep the dock from getting too cluttered.

3. Disk Inventory X - A program that represents the contents of a hard drive through a graphic interface. A very simple way of removing clutter from your hard drive, and to find out what is taking up a lot of space on the drive.

4. iStat Menus - Used to be freeware. Its a program that provides a lot of system information, such as temperatures, CPU usage, and network information (along with many others). Easily found cracked online.

5. SMC Fan Control - Allows for control of the computer fan speeds. If your mac is running too hot for your tastes, give this a try.

6. Transmission - Very lightweight bittorrent client. Better than Vuze because it doesn't run on java and choke system resources.

So, Cult of Mac, what are your favorite, must have, applications?

Comments

• eindeind Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.1 - Mozilla's email client.

CleanMyMac - CleanMyMac represents sophisticated all-in-one-suite utility that helps keep your Mac clean and healthy
  • 13371337 Regular
    edited August 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.1 - Mozilla's email client.

CleanMyMac - CleanMyMac represents sophisticated all-in-one-suite utility that helps keep your Mac clean and healthy

I'm curious, why did you choose Thunderbird over the apple Mail application? I used Thunderbird when I had a windows box, but I've found the same functionality built into the Mail app. Firefox looks like shit on mac, is thunderbird any better?

Another good app (it's actually a preference pane) is Secrets. It enables a simple GUI interface for changing all of the hidden options in Snow Leopard so you don't have to use the Terminal. There are hundreds of options to change parameters for. The program itself is totally free and open source.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited August 2010
    You can't tab in apple mail. Thunderbird has tabbing and besides that, I just like the interface. Seems much cleaner and uncluttered.