Why are the English cheering for the Irish at the Olympics?

ZedZed Semo-Regulars
edited August 2012 in Spurious Generalities
All changed utterly as old foe embraces Irish competitors. Des Cahill, an Irish sports commentator, put the cat among the pigeons yesterday when he tweeted “The English public are giving massive support to all the Irish athletes at the Olympics. It’s embarrassing, knowing it is not done in reverse.”

read more of article here--

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/news/periscope/why-are-the-english-cheering-for-the-irish-at-the-olympics----all-changed-utterly-as-old-foe-embraces-irish-competitors-164395866.html

Comments

• RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Look at England. A microcosm.

The South hate the North.
    Zoom out.
    The English hate the Scots.
    Zoom out.
    The UK hates France.

It's that sort of mentality. Still, fair play on the Irish if they're doing well. Maybe they can pay off their debt with the medals :thumbsup:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2012
    Gee, I wonder why the Irish have any reason to not cheer for England? Let me do some history research and get back to you guys on this one. :facepalm:
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Look at England. A microcosm.

The South hate the North.
    Zoom out.
    The English hate the Scots.
    Zoom out.
    The UK hates France.

It's that sort of mentality. Still, fair play on the Irish if they're doing well. Maybe they can pay off their debt with the medals

And the Welsh love everyone, cause we're cool like that :D lol
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2012
    There was a sizable underground IRA presence in Sydney from the 70s. Most of our police force was Irish back then and sympathetic to the cause.

I've met a handful roaming the pups, they're all older gentlemen now and completely bitter over what they see as a compramise.

The fact that the English are cheering just shows how little they've reflected over that conflict and proves how the well oiled media machine is able to influence the public zietgiest.

That era is one of most shameful periods in English history.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2012
    Because the Irish didn't use Mel Gibson to portray themselves as an oppressor against English tyranny and rule.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2012
    No clue who loves who, but if they're infidels, then I am sure my brothers (lol) would hate them anyway.