The recommended foreign film thread!

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited December 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Today I decided to watch, over a period of about 6 hours, a film called 9th Company. In summary it is an almost 3 hour long film which follows a group of Russian Soldiers from training to deployment to Afghanistan in 1987 and their return from war.
I have to say, it's the most gritty, no-bars held film depicting war I have ever seen. And that's why I like foreigh/non-english films.
They have something that is not found in Hollywood. That feeling of freedom, to express something and depict it in a way that is quite different from the standard 90 minute time-filler that gets churned out, and with ever-worsening plots. Sometimes these films, from non-english speaking Nations are on a lower budget, but that doesn't mean they are any worse than the blockbusters pumped full of money to get a good rating.

Does anyone else here share that view? Have any favourite non-native language films? I'll list and briefly describe the plot of mine below. Hopefully you'll soon get into them if you give at least one of them a shot :)

- Oldboy (2003, South Korea)
Oh Dae-Su, your everyday kind of guy, is kidnapped and held for 15 years. The film follows him through his incarceration, struggles and will to hold onto sanity - then his fight to find out who was holding him, why, and what happened to his Daughter. The final member of his Family he spoke to before waking up in captivity.

- Sex is Zero (2002, South Korea)
As American Pie didn't fare too well in South Korea, this is what can only be described as their take on it, and IMO, a hilariously well done one at that.
Following a University Student, Eun-Shik, who is socially inept and has a crush on Eun-Hyo - a damn fine and physically fit Student. The film looks at all aspects of University/Student life such as social groups, room-mates, pranks, nightlife, hospital visits and of course - sex. It's both a serious and laugh-a-minute, slightly exaggerated look at the lives of many South Korean (and possibly other Oriental) Students in the 21st Century.

- Lola Rennt, aka Run Lola Run (1998, Germany)
A (good looking) young Woman is dating a guy who owes money to a Gangster as things don't quite go to plan. What is revolutionary about this film for its' day and age is the alternate timelines as the film takes on 3 possible outcomes as a solution to their situation. Fast-paced, great cinematography and truly ahead of its' time.

- Salo, aka 120 days of Sodom (1975, Italy)
Truly a one-of-a-kind in the sense that this film is an adaptation of the works of the Marquis de Sade, known for his Libertine and almost inhumane writings, despite their underground/secretive popularity in his time.
The film follows a group of Italian Fascists through the last days of the war where total Anarchy reigns. 9 teenage boys and 9 teenage girls are rounded up and kept in a mansion where they are subjected to 120 days of treatment that will shock you and make you wonder why you watched the film, for example sodomy, rape, paedophilia, scat and piss play, slavery, executions and other stuff I can't even put into words.
Worth a watch, but you can't say I didn't warn you.
And I REALLY warned you.

- The Holy Mountain (1973, Mexico/South America)
I have watched this on psychedelics and sober, and it took about 3 attempts to get any sense from it. However I think everyone takes away a different meaning. The sheer amount of effort that went into it was something that set a new precedent for alternative Movies in that era. It also received praise from both John Lennon and George Harrison which, given how trippy it is, doesn't come as a surprise.
The basic premise of the film is to find a higher purpose in life, as it follows a Christ-like figure who, to me, is dissatisfied with the way the World has gone. Corrupt Churches, decline of Society, lust for money and as it's a Hippy-era film, the brutality of Police/Military.
After this first bit, he then joins a group of people whom each one represents a Planet in our Solar System. Each one has a purpose (architecture, weapons manufacturer, artist etc), and they are taken on a pilgrimage, through a set of trials, to the peak of the Holy Mountain.
It truly is something else and I've never seen anything of this calibre before. Or since.

There are upwards of 20 films I could list here, most from South Korea as their Horror/Thriller genre and cinematography just shits over anything from the UK/USA.
So, any more to add to my list that you enjoy watching? (or in the case of Salo. Don't).

Comments

• GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Great collection of vids there, and I now intend to watch allot of the ones you mentioned. Especially 9th Company, I like the sound of that.

Had watched Salo before..... Pretty rough film to say the least.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2012
    The bicycle thief is an Italian film that is regarded as seminal in realist cinema. I enjoyed it.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2012
    Das Boot, I have seen that movie at least 20 times in the last 30 years. It is the best foreign film I have seen.

*EDIT* And what do you know, the whole thing is up on Ewet00b.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Holy hell, someone else here has watched Salo? Kudos to you, GoingNowhere! I have heard of that Italian film, Slart, but no harm in recapping it :) also watched Das Boot maaaany years ago. Think it's what got me into learning German alongside listening to Rammstein around the same time.

Keep it coming, guys :)