Arbitrage; Drama at it's finest

DfgDfg Admin
edited December 2012 in Spurious Generalities
arbritage.jpg
Robert Miller is a successful financial businessman with a loving wife and a smart daughter ready to take over the family business. Professional secrets involving illegal fraudulent activities start coming out at the same time that Robert's personal secrets take a turn for the worse and threaten to derail everything he has achieved.

And the secrets is where the movie takes you on a ride, I was originally going to reply to a thread in IMDB to a troll post but then I decided to post it here instead and actually clean it up for you guys. Richard Gere has an awesome personality in movies but his last couple of movies weren't that great but this one is exceptionally good. Due to my recent entry into Media Sciences and University life I am power open to movies and I do watch them again if they're good. I have started going through the latest movies on my queue and this one just sort of popped up.

It's a drama all the way, there is some action but it's more of a thriller type action. It will sound boring to those who aren't interested in this movie or to those who have problem with understanding how money is made and distributed, quite frankly I am an idiot when it comes to hedge funds but even I understood where Robert effed up. The pacing isn't forced, it does take it's time. Character development is decent because the movie focuses on few main characters you can easily understand the background story.

From Cinematography point of view, yes that's one of my key fields there were a lot of close up as mentioned by some guy on IMDB forums but they do serve a purpose, the shots were well planned. I didn't see many loop holes but on of the shot that does stick out is when Robert daughter (yes she is hot) has a private talk with his Dad in the park. I am not saying it odds or anything it just feels out of place. I guess the jump from an office environment to the park just feels odd. Another thing is the timing of scenes, now for this I will actually have to watch the movie again and take notes regarding what happens, and how the shot was taken. This is what I intend to do because I need to learn all these principles and see them in action and yes I need to spot where different effects were used as well.

It's all shot in New York, you don't see off locations even when they're is a mention of places such as Russia. There are some filler shot of plane landing and flying and I should have noted the time but I am actually happy that I am taking way more notes than required especially considering in University they don't cover anything haha.

"The world is a cold place" - Robert Miller.

Again this movie is about a guy being untouchable and then making mistakes which eventually takes him down but it's just like one of the John Grisham books, the hero does get out but it's not really a win. It does however keep everything RAW, as in you see the details, there is a lot of financial talks, negotiations, how to impress others and how to deal people in meeting and there is a moral battle going on as well. A lot of risk were taken and yes there is a black person in this movie that plays a pivotal role and surprisingly he has integrity! I am not dissing black people but Hollywood doesn't show them in good light.

You do see the good and bad in people and there is a one scene where you see the police shine, well they shine in the bad light anyway. Regardless how good the person is, the police doesn't care.

Overall, I am impressed with this movie. It's one for the recommend list.

I am on a row with good movies, I should make a thread regarding Premium Rush which is again a solid movie but it's a remake of an old movie but the cycles are AWESOME. Then there is Resident Evil: Retribution which is so so but does the job and Looper, holy shit that movie was FANTASTIC. Go see it now!