Cloud Atlas; the movie that inspires you to do more

DfgDfg Admin
edited April 2013 in Spurious Generalities
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371111/
Rotten: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cloud_atlas_2012/

Dare I say that this movie is excessively long and yet I wish it was longer, compared to the movies I have seen in my life, none have impacted me in this banner. It's like watching Blade Runner for the first time and reading about it's history, this movie is ground breaking. It goes against everything you read about in film school, it has blends of different genre, the story is complex and yet simple at the core. I haven't read the book and currently I am downloading it. I will re-watch this flick as well. And I did read the hate comments about how the makeup wasn't that good but I am honestly glad the makeup wasn't that good. It helped me relate with the characters from different times.

I downloaded this movie a while ago, didn't see the trailer until yesterday when I saw Robot and Frank which is again a beautiful film and a must watch. In the credits some VFX studies were listed and since I was curious, I went ahead and Googled them. Alterian. INC is one of the studios that worked on Robert and Frank, I saw their show reel and they featured clips from Cloud Atlas. The scenes were futuristic, highly complex and the actors looked fresh.

With my mind made up, I started watching the movie, as expected it started out in a different time, and then it kept jumping up and down, your brain starts to get confused, you're always thinking what the hell is going on but then you spot the main lead, you start to see the domino effect. This whole movie is just one small push by someone and then you see the ripple effects. There is no hero and there is no villain. In one section the guy who is the hero turns out to be the bad guy but yet, I do see some characters that stay the same throughout the ages.

Not a bad thing but I guess it's something that is consistent. Susan is amazing, in Robert and Frank she looked charming and when I saw her in Cloud Atlas, I said to myself, OMG if there was ever a MILF (older one) I would take Susan. She has that appeal.

At the end, you're half surprised, half disappointed and to be honest, I was hoping there would be more. I guess once you taste something that is different, you want it more. This movie is highly recommended, even if you aren't a film student you should see it. And don't think too much and don't worry about the flaws or minor things. I know for a fact that it's not an easy job to create a film like this and I must say, Bravo to everyone who worked on it. I am indeed impressed by the work.

Worth a re-watch.