Microsoft Sells 10 Windows 7 Licenses Per Second

LSA KingLSA King Regular
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
Computerworld - Microsoft sold nearly 10 copies of Windows 7 every second over the last month, according to numbers the company released Thursday.

Yesterday, Peter Klein, Microsoft's chief financial officer, told Wall Street analysts of the latest Windows 7 milestone. "With 175 million licenses sold to date, it is the fastest selling operating system ever, and now runs on over 15% of all PCs worldwide," Klein said during an afternoon earnings call.

A month ago, Microsoft announced that it had sold 150 million Windows 7 licenses.

By Microsoft's numbers, the company sold 25 million licenses during the 29 days between June 23 and July 21, a pace that represents sales of 9.97 copies of Windows 7 per second.

Source: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179590/Microsoft_sells_10_Windows_7_licenses_per_second

Interesting...I knew it was doing well and will continue to do so but it's smashing previous OS sales records like no tomorrow. I don't think XP did that well, close, but not quite. Then again the market is much larger and more ingrained in our society than ever before.

Comments

• da teachada teacha Regular
    edited July 2010
    Do they count a license sold when a PC manufacturer buys a huge bulkload of licenses to sell with their models, or when the end consumers actualy makes the purchase?
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    da teacha wrote: »
    Do they count a license sold when a PC manufacturer buys a huge bulkload of licenses to sell with their models, or when the end consumers actualy makes the purchase?

Well, I like other MS nerds, have been following the month to month reports on Windows 7 since October and nobody really knows. Microsoft doesn't release that info, but it's safe to say that includes licenses with new PC's. I just don't see them pulling 175 million out of their ass in 9 months through box sales even if it were sold for $5.

I think the market is currently standing at a solid 14% adoption world wide which is pretty fucking impressive for not even being a year out and most of the people that switch are from upgraded machines. I think it will be at a good 30% by the end of the year with the summer sales and back to school Fall being the prime time for computer sales.

Next year I think it's possible to have at elast a 50-60% world wide adoption rate if they continue this strong which looks like it will. When Microsoft does something right for a change shit takes off like a pinto with a rocket straped to its back.